The worst line delivery ?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sundayforsammy, May 1, 2011.

1. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Iv'e just been watching series VII episode 'Beyond a Joke' I do like this episode but the line Chloe delivers after Krytens second head explodes when there talking about how to fix him is totally cringe worthy.

"Hello wall, what do you think"

What is your least favorite joke/line in any episode.

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Oh man, this is going to be a thread of Kochanski quotes!

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I can understand why someone might not like that particular Kochanski line (although I actually thought it was okay) but I didn't think there was anything wrong with the way it was delivered.

The title of the thread seems a bit different from the contents. (I.e. delivery is how a person says something, rather than what is said) but maybe I'm just being pedantic.

There were a couple of Rimmer lines delivery that fell a bit flat to me. I forget the specifics, but the one where he mentions Lister's underpants springs to mind. (I think it's in 6 or 7.)

4. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

bte: "i'm going to eat you little fishy", not a very good delivery :-(

5. sundayforsammy

The title is correct, I was talking about the delivery of the line but if I didn't actually quote the dialogue of line then no one would know which line I was talking about, if that makes any sense.

6. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator Warned

if we are going for awful lines, my two favourites are

1 'He must be thicker than a ticket touts wad'- a truelly witless line delivered with all the conviction of dr crippen's solicitor.

2 It's something like 'you don't have to tell me twice', and then 'whooops, it looks like you do have to tell me twice'. It's said by cat in reply to something lister says about 'hit the re-heat'. The joke is so awful and unfunny i'm not even sure it is a joke.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm a bit spoiled for choice since so many of Annett's lines are poorly delivered. It also doesn't help that the lines themselves are weak. This badly delivered bit of Kochanski dialogue from Duct Soup springs to mind:

"Have you ever listened to those clapped-out old pipes? Nurieek'ing and rotut'ing, and just when you expect them to nurieek again, they sqweloookle. It's enough to make a perfectly sane person crazy."

And just to make it even worse, this dialogue is punctuated with her striking a spanner, in a very hammed up manner, against the worktop.

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Yes, fair enough. I guess I thought you were talking about the line as I didn't think Kochanski's delivery of that was particularly bad, but obviously we all interpret things a bit differently.

9. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

I agree. It really seemed to lack that enthusiasm of Danny's earlier renditions.

10. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

It was supposed to lack enthusiasm. He was being apologetic. I can't believe I'm defending BTE.

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

leave the best stuff in the past i say, and do not get the cast to say things they havent said since 1988 because it will never be as good as it was 20 years ago

even if you look at normans re-shoots on the remastered episodes of series 1 they really aint as good as the way he originally delivered the lines, and that was just 10 years later .

and series 8 did it alot and its one of the issues i have with that season :crying:

12. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Still though, I'd have expected the character to have put more into it. Cat has always been that way, and even in a state of apology rarely seems to actually care much (as a result of his self-centred attitude). At this point, I'll pause to allow someone to contradict me (as stated before now, my Dwarf knowledge is getting rusty).

Although perhaps it can be seen as a further domestication of the Cat, and something that has continued through the years between the end of Series VIII and the events of Back to Earth. But still, the delivery feels off to me

13. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

one of my favourite deliverys, is in series 7, when cat goes "are we eating the same stuff?" after everyones praising it. i love that.

14. sundayforsammy

That reminded me of one of Cats lines i really liked, his timing was purr-fect. It was something like "Were all sorry to see him go, Hell I'll probally have to dig the hole"

15. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

I've always found Mr. Barrie's emphasis in delivering "Speak, Kryten! How can we change what's happening?!" a little peculiar.

16. MyMindIsGoing

MyMindIsGoing First Technician

Location, Location is a TV show about houses.
    I've said it in another thread, but the woman who un-eats the chocolate eclair in Backwards; she only has two lines and manages to cock them up completely. Granted, she's supposed to be talking backwards and what she's actually saying is gibberish, but I'm pretty sure that saying it in really bad, amateurish received pronunciation is not going to sell the backwards sound. Then if you listen to her second line the right way round... dear God.

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

A couple more that I've remembered. One is a Cat line in Justice when the simulant appears:

"Are you by any chance Barbra Bellini?"

Danny's voice briefly comes out of character and changes from an American accent to his own.

Chris' delivery of this Rimmer line from Dimension Jump always amused me:

"Commander Rimmer! I ask you. Ace!"

He half squeaks the word 'Ace'.

18. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I think Cat has some fantastic one liners. and the delivery/timeing is the most vital part of those one liners, and thats something i feel Danny more often than not got perfect.

19. ourrrob

ourrrob Second Technician

"Get out the belt while you can."

I'm like a dog chewing a caramel toffee when I hear this line. My sympathy kind of melds with YAA HA HA!

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

What's YAA HA HA?