The worst line delivery ?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sundayforsammy, May 1, 2011.

1. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Yes I agree Danny had some great one liners, but it probaly took him all day shooting retakes to get them right. He seems to have loads of probs getting his lines right, which is so funny in the outtakes.

2. ourrrob

ourrrob Second Technician

"YA HA HA!" is the noise I make when I hear Grogy say that line. Same noise is made for Commander Knot's: "What the hell d'you think your doing?" I'm making it now just thinking about it.

3. Shazza

Shazza Third Technician

I'm going to feel badly about posting this, as if I'm criticising Chris Barrie (god forbid!!) but with the focus very firmly on the delivery rather than the content there are a couple of his lines where the emphasis seems to me to be just a bit out, that I suppose I might have hoped a director would correct ...

One is from Rimmerworld, where he says "What do we do, whisper "charge", tippytoe up to them all screaming "shhh" and chloroform them with Lister's armpits?" - whilst he's looking straight at Lister. Whenever I watch it I can't help thinking that he should have said EITHER "...with YOUR armpits" - to Lister - OR the original line while addressing someone else.

With me so far?!

The other one is - I THINK!* - this line:

"One direct hit on that plexiglass viescreen, and our innards will be turned inside out quicker than a pair of Lister's old underpants" - where he appears to be addressing Lister and referring to him as "Lister" rather than "you"/"your".

Geddit? Hope so!

*And if I've misremembered then no doubt someone will correct me faster than a pair of Lister's old underpants can be turned inside out :lol::lol::lol:

4. Shazza

Shazza Third Technician

"If you are going to talk rubbish, expect pain". It just doesn't strike the right note for me - it's sort of too bland and I always expect it to be funnier than it is!

Any time Kryten says anything like "I was just so scaaaarrrrred!" about Lister leaving him for Kochanski.

That should be my last word on the subject - what am I doing filling my head with all my fave TV show's least well delivered lines?! :-)

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

50% of the lines from series 8 :-)

6. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

Those lines do jar but I think that's more down to Rob and Doug's writing than it is down to Chris. Similarly they sometimes have Kryten saying Rimmer or Lister and leaving out the mister.

7. bond_villain

bond_villain Third Technician

If it's delivery we're talking about, then (of the main cast) it's Robert who has the biggest problems. Can't think of any specific examples, but throughout the series he noticeably stumbles over his lines a number of times, and it always jars when I hear it. Plus I agree with a couple of other posters: Norman's re-recording of bits for the re-mastered series 1 & 2 are horribly flat, and Cat's delivery of the Fishy line in BTE is fine for the situation.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Some of Robert's longer lines give him trouble because of his poor memory. He discusses this in his autobiography, The Man In The Rubber Mask. I've noticed it a number of times, including the other day while watching Terrorform, and if you watch the smeg ups there are a number of occasions when his memory causes him to mess up his long speeches.

There was a moment in Cant Smeg, Won't Smeg when he messed up his line "If underpants could talk, his would be...", forgetting the final word, 'speechless'. But he compensated with a wonderful improvised joke: "I sort of lived it instead of said it".

9. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

Yes, completely agree with that and he struggled as much as anyone in Series VII to cope without the audience.

10. Shazza

Shazza Third Technician

In The Last Day, when he accepts the computer chip from Holly, I'm sure he's reading his lines from a prompt card under the table :-)

11. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Totally agree with that one. That's always annoyed me. Why look at Lister and say that. Barrie is a brilliant actor/comedian but on this occasion he got it wrong.

Still, he has one of my favourite lines (delivered brilliantly) in Holoship...

"I come to regard you..... as.... people.... I.... met." That line was superb. A lesser man would have made it sound awful, but Chris just hit the right point.

RAGE

12. ChangeOfPlan

ChangeOfPlan Third Technician

Good shout Rage.

He is even very slightly shaking his head when he says "people I met" which makes it brilliant. As if to say im actually forgetting you all as we speak. Lol One of the worst deliveries for me is Commander Randy Nirvana in that episode. When he introduces himself he is like a cardboard cut out. Where as the other members of the crew on the bridge are superb.

Oh one other excellent line delivery, same episode, "I'm sorry I'm busy Wednesday, I'm killing myself" Love it.

13. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

In series 7 Chloe's lines were awful and acted pretty badly, in series 8 both elements were much better. On the other hand Rimmer and Kryten who started to get acted very strangely in series 7 just got weirder in 8.

Of course there are bad deliveries in every series but 7 and 8 and BTE provide the worst and most plentiful examples.

Ones that spring to mind now are Rimmer's "aren't we forgetting... the APPEAL?!!" in Krytie Tv. Feels very unrealistic, just going through the motions.

Kryten's whole examination by the doctor in back in the red.

there's some bit where kochanski says something about a mechanoid obsessed with her pants? And Kryten says "oh you mean i'm not alone? Oh I see.." quite bad.

A lot of Kryten's bits about being jealous of Kochanski were badly played too.

Cat's whole scene with the medical in Back In the Red. Awful. Especially "you think i'd have the dorky human heart beat? where's the tune in that?"

It's almost as if the cast, forgot how to play the characters and did some overplayed parody of them.

The whole bit in back to earth when they see the DVD's and find out that they might not be real. It has no conviction whatsoever and is not believeable at all. The reactions are like they are doing a rough read through, no acting quality and it's rushed giving this massive moment no weight. It's at this point the episode started to go off the boil in my opinion.

I really hope they act them properly in the next series and don't just overdo it and make it embarrassing.

14. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

The Cat said something like;

I always wanted to go on a metaphysical odyssey. For years I never thought I'd get the chance.

I don't know. I suppose they must have rehearsed the scene, probably did more than one take. He delivers it as though he's reading it for the first time and has no idea how to pitch it.

15. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Yeah it was odd. Worse though was Craig "I'm not real" it was like he was (as you say) reading it for the first time, no real emotion, just trying to quickly read through the script. With cat you can cover that lack of emotion because he's so shallow, but Lister needs to sell that moment where his very existence has been cast into doubt. Compare the scenes in Back To Reality with this. The acting is far higher quality in Back To Reality, in this it was so rushed.

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

that has to be the worst scene in all of BTE, and not just for the cast but for the writing

and back to reality was only a half hour show and managed to be epic, funny, serious and well written and also managed to make alot of sense, while with BTE doug needed 3 episodes to tell an epic story that at the end of the day didnt make that much sense