There should not be any more Red Dwarf.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Murray, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murray

Murray Second Technician

Yes, I know the foaming at the mouth has begun merely because of the title, but I have to say just one thing.

Just because the overwhelming number of people who were so angry about Back to Earth being so utterly terrible and a disgrace to the Red Dwarf name have long since lost interest and left, leaving only the hardcore fans who for some reason liked it, does not mean that our opinion has changed.

I am a huge Red Dwarf fan. And I don't want to see this fabled new series that is being talked about. Trying to live on past the glory days is a sad, sad thing, and deep down every true Red Dwarf fan knows that there should not be any more if it cannot be of the same tone as that which came before (i.e. everything before Series 7). As it is with every great TV series which lives on past its expiry date.

That is all.

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It's fair enough that you state you opinion.

I take issue with the following though:
    You state an opinion there as if it were fact. Besides were the dislikers overwhelming? I thought there was a good mixture of likers and dislikers.

A bit of a contradiction there. 'Only the hardcore fans were left behind', 'every true Dwarf fan knows that there should not be any more if it".

Couldn't it be possible that there are 'true' or 'hardcore' Red Dwarf fans who have differing opinions on Back To Earth? Or do you just consider 'hard core' to be those who blindly look away from faults and choose to like Red Dwarf just because it's Red Dwarf? I think you'll find many fans of BtE disliked other episodes of Red Dwarf. (Many dislike series 7 and 8 for example. )

Personally I liked some bits, and wasn't keen on others. And I thought the strong bits were very strong. But even if one dislikes BtE, I don't see that as a reason to dismiss the new series. Due to the special anniversary nature of the episodes it seems unlikely that new Dwarf would carry all that over. The metafiction certainly won't. And hopefully the self referencing (which is understandable in BtE) will be toned down except where continuity is concerned.

3. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I don't think it's very fair to say that there was an overwhelming number of people who thought BTE was a disgrace. and whats more i would say that the few that did dislike it, were actually amoungst those very 'hardcore fans ' you speak of, as in on here and other RD forums.( i would say that the same goes for series 7 and 8 as well). i am still yet to meet any casual fan's who hated BTE, and before i joined these forums, i honestly didn't realize how unpopular series 8 was with so many dwarfers.
    i could pick out weak moments in every series if i had to, and i often wonder if part of the reason that later dwarf is disliked by some is due to them MABE looking back at some of the older ep's with rose tinted glasses?. BTE was different, in some ways, to what we're used to, but personely i feel it stood the show in good sted for the new series.

4. MyMindIsGoing

MyMindIsGoing First Technician

Location, Location is a TV show about houses.
    Whoa there! Harsh much??? I certainly was never overwhelmed by any huge number of people who detested it as vehemently as you're suggesting. Utterly terrible? Disgrace? Just because a show has a few minor faults hardly necessitates such a critical thrashing. You don't go out one day, see your car has a small scratch on the bonnet and say, "Well that's it. I can't possibly drive this now!"

Probably because it was fine.

Firstly, this is opinion, why have you stated it as fact? Secondly, I thought a Red Dwarf fan was just someone who likes Red Dwarf? And if you like Red Dwarf, wouldn't you like to see more? And if you don't, which is fine, I'm not for a second suggesting some kind of monstrous yet vaguely satisfying Red-Dwarf-force-feeding programme, why don't you just not watch it? I'd quite like the opportunity to see a new one; does this make me a fake Red Dwarf fan? "He likes Red Dwarf? He's obviously not a real fan."

Name one series of Red Dwarf which is really anything like the others! That's the beauty of the show. It has never wallowed in safe familiarity. I love Series V (don't know if I mentioned) but I've also SEEN Series V. It sits nicely on my DVD shelf and I can watch it any time I like. It does not need replacing by another identical but newer model. I want to see change and I have never been disappointed yet, EVEN with series' 7 & 8.

5. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

My Grandma liked it. She's not a hardcore fan.

Also, there aren't 1.5 million hardcore fans in the UK, and that's how many watched through to part 3.

6. Italicus

Italicus Third Technician

I didn't hate BTE was it my favorite nope not at all. Does it work with the what happened in Red Dwarf yah why not. Should they have just stoped and not make any more well thats not up to me but im glad they are going to give it a new go. Everything seems to get recycled in this world why not RD.

7. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    I do want more RD but only if it is good. And the recent evidence isn't that hopeful. Series 7 and 8 were not too bad but not as good as the first 6 series but BTE well and truly jumped the shark. Several times. While doing somersaults.

8. stevenrankin

stevenrankin Third Technician

I want to see new Red Dwarf, If you don't want to see new red dwarf then don't watch it, it's that simple.

I remeber when the BBC announced that they where bringing back Doctor Who, the fans went 'really?' I never saw the old dr who I'm too young, but god I love the new the dr who. I've seen some clips of the old dr who and it looks very diffrent.

Now If u where to watch BTE then maybe an episode in series V or something, u can see theres a diffrence, It's still Red Dwarf but it's changed it's more 21st Centurary. I saw Red Dwarf properely in 2007 From series one to eight over a few days. each series was diffrent from the last, well maybe not series one and two(wern't they made back to back) then BTE came it was diffrent it was still Red Dwarf(am I repeating myself maybe it's a white hole DONT START)

the point is if shows didn't change they'd get boring , and also Opinion is Opinion NOT FACT.

9. jacksolomonsmith

jacksolomonsmith First Technician

WOAH, overwhelming? The viewing figures were overwhelming, response was mixed not overwhelmingly damning, one should not take a vocal minority on a forum and extrapalate that the forum somehow represents all Red Dwarf's fans tastes and views.

10. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I liked back to earth. It wasnt my favourite by any means, but I still very much enjoyed it. I also like series 7 and 8 and would love to see a new series! Back to earth might not have been as good as some older series, but after so many years I was just glad to see them all back. It was just nice to see new dwarf. I spoke to various other people at dimension jump who said exactly the same. If people didnt like it then thats fair enough and they are entitled to their opinion, but you just dont watch it.

11. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Can't believe I am reading this. If you don't want any more, just pretend that it finishes at Series VIII.

Simples. Personally, I can't wait!!

12. menacexp

menacexp Second Technician

agreed. I enjoyed the new episode and I can't wait for the new series. Bring it on!!!

13. Kiel297

Kiel297 Skutter

I am only 16 years old, I love Red Dwarf due to a friend that gave me series 1-8 on DVD for a weekend ^.^ and would love to see more. It may change a bit, but what show doesnt? And also, I would love to actually be there during Red Dwarf's second wind. What I would give to be in that studio audience...

But as the others said, if you don't like it, don't watch it!

14. roebeet

roebeet Third Technician

I'm all for it...even if it never makes it to the States until a DVD / Blu-ray release.

15. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

This line of thought has always bothered me...an individual dislikes the release, therefore he thinks that it should never have another release no matter how many other people apart from themself actually enjoyed it? And then the individual attempts to speak on behalf of the entire fanbase with such sweeping statements as "every true Red Dwarf fan knows (insert negative something something)".

I personally enjoyed Back to Earth. You personally did not; that is fine. But do not attempt to tell me that "deep down" I felt it was sub par and really don't want any more. I greatly enjoyed it, and would welcome a new series which I sincerely hope they do. If you are so against a new series(if one ever comes out), then the remedy is simple - do not watch it. I hate antique road shows; does that mean I'm going to tell everyone on the planet that really, deep down, they hate them too? No.

16. onephatsmegger

onephatsmegger Second Technician

I've got to admit, on first viewing, I thought BTE was nowhere near the standard of series V, for example. But I still liked it, and am quite keen to see more. I also think it's impertinent and very presumptuous of the OP to speak on mine and others' behalf - I watched RD from the 1st episode and would like to think of myself as a true RD fan, and I very much welcome the idea of the scripts being commissioned. If it leads to a new series, then fantastic! If not, then hopefully Doug will release the scripts for us to read. Either way, more RD is better than no RD. As said many times on this thread, if you think RD ain't what it useds to be, then don't absorb any new content. Simple.

17. RedDwarfObsessive

RedDwarfObsessive Second Technician

Well personally I would love a new series no matter how bad it was (I'm not saying BTE was bad because I loved it) It would clear things up and maybe they should do a "Prelude to Back To Earth"

18. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Why would anyone love something that was bad? I don't want to see a new series if its going to be terrible and I'm sure that's how most people would feel. I can take not being as good as it used to be, but I don't want something that's outright bad.

I liked BTE so my hopes were high, but watching Nanarchy recently reminded me why I used to want Doug to just give Red Dwarf an ending and be done with it.

19. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

I do not believe that Doug Naylor, nor anyone, would go out to intentionally create something bad. I would be happy to see more Dwarf, and certainly hope it's good. If it's bad, well, I appreciate the effort that would be put forward to attempt to give the fans what they want.

20. RozzaI

RozzaI Third Technician

room 169,corridor 59,A deck,Red dwarf,DeepSpace
    murray ur a smeghead a complete and utter goit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.