There should not be any more Red Dwarf.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Murray, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Well there is more Red Dwarf and it happening today so get over it Murray.

2. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

This.

3. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I've just had a horrible thought! What if it ends up that Red Dwarf X is actually really s***!!! I may have to leave theis site forever. I couldn't be doing with all these people saying "Told you so" :?

4. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Have more faith, From everything I have seen so far I have a feeling it's going to be a fantastic series.:-D

5. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

I think some people will enjoy RDX, others won't. Personally I wasn't impressed with BTE on broadcast (it's grown on me since) but I was always glad they did it, and I still want more stories about those characters- I can't imagine ever not. Whatever happens I'll still be an RD fan!

6. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

I'm suddenly reminded of the end of the film Fanboys.

7. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Yep, but as a Star Wars Fan I happened to like The Phantom Menace... I suppose if Jar Jar had been killed and QuiGonn hadnt saved him it would have been a lot better.

Anyways, we all know that Red Dwarf X is going to be amazing :-)

8. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

It was just the one line that reminded me of it, no comment about the film itself.

Dwarf X will be whatever it is. Personally I find declaring it amazing now just as pointless as declaring it crap now. We'll see what happens in the back end of 2012.

9. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Sir, I respect your opinions and views. But right now I've been having a #HappyRedDwarfDay been wearing my Red Dwarf Baseball Cap I bought back in 1993 and excited to the point I couldnt sleep last night and feverishly reading all the Tweetage, looking at the exclusive pictures, the videos and one or two soundbytes.

Have spoken to several people who are in the audience and I've been told what the atmosphere is like, as we speak there are plenty in the Audience who will have much to say in regards to this whole debate, I'm of the opinion that people will be nay to the argument and yay to more Red Dwarf, but thats just my opinion, oh to be a fly on the wall of Stage K.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

from the way i see it so far everything LOOKS good, but i aint gonna say yeah this is gonna be great but i'l still watch it as an excited fan boy and hold out hope

11. ori-STUDFARM

Fanboys was exactly where my mind took me when I uttered the line. And for the record, I am not a prequel hater either.... :-)

12. Julia

Julia Catering Officer

Aggreed you cant and wont ever please everyone, everyone has differing opinions and noone can change this. I peronally like BTE thats me and im looking forward to seeing some new dwarf thats my opinion and from a fan of the very first showings (yep i remember them on tv:-D)i have liked them from day 1 but as i say not everyone will agree i mean there are people who.....shock yes...dont..like...the ...dwarf...shock....i mean....how..cant anyone...like it?????.......

13. Murray

Murray Second Technician

You answered my question for me about why it failed better than I could. What you didn't say was the most telling thing at all about the best comedy show in British history.

When asked why you liked the show, you wrote almost an entire page of A4 about why you liked Back To Earth without at any point saying anything about it being funny. About any of the jokes. About anything to do with the comedy whatsoever.

That is why it is a failure. Denials will no doubt come about from many, but that was more telling than you perhaps meant it to be. Some hardcore fans do as you do, and love it for being Red Dwarf regardless of the quality of the comedy on offer. The rest of the viewing public are more critical than that. And as much as I love Red Dwarf, I am too. I'm not about to pretend that Back To Earth was a comedic triumph just because it featured Lister, Rimmer, Kryten and Cat. That would be wrong. That would be disrespectful to Red Dwarf itself.

14. Murray

Murray Second Technician

It had already been answered in conversation with someone else, and I didn't feel like humouring your lack of attention span. I could copy and paste from where I answered this ages ago, but as it's Christmas I'll paraphrase it from before, just for you:

Dave would commission a quiz show where people have to guess which celebrity a poop belongs to if they thought it would get them any ratings above the utterly rubbish figures they normally get. Red Dwarf has the reputation to do that, if not the quality when its being produced by Dave (as we already know from Back To Earth). Does that mean you want Red Dwarf to suffer through the indignity of being turned into the ratings equivilent of a woman of ill-repute, at the expense of quality and turning the show into an embarrassment to the Red Dwarf legacy? That's not the words of any fan I know.

15. Titanbeing

Titanbeing Third Technician

@ Murray.......
    don't quite agree, yes Dave do commision some poor quiz shows but you cannot compare red dwarf to these.
    Repeats of Red Dwarf have high viewing figures on this channel. back to earth, in my opinion is more watchable than the last series of Red Dwarf but series 8 was 10 times more watchable than the poor quality 'comedy' that the BBC shows on primetime TV, for example, My Family, outnumbered, and Sky's new 'Comedy' The Cafe.
    Comedy and peoples expectations of it have changed since 25 years ago when Red Dwarf first hit our screens but there is only one comedy show remaining since then and that is Red Dwarf.
    Thankfully its not 'one foot in the grave'!!!

16. AmandaKnox

AmandaKnox Third Technician

Series 9 wasn't great, but I still hold out hope that series 10 will be so much better.
    It's that cliff-hanger at the end of series 8 that's still doing my head in! lol

17. ori-STUDFARM

@Murray Perhaps thats where your opinion (and that of other people who dislike BtE) differ from those who liked it. I did find BtE funny...at least for the most part.... not throughout the whole thing though. But I don't view BtE as an out and out comedy. It was more than that. It was more of an emotional story about the characters we know and love. I don't think it was intended to feel like an out and out comedy as the TV shows were. Yes, I love BtE for all the reasons I stated above. And humour wasn't high up on that list of reasons.

Does that make BtE rubbish though? I think that can only be down to personal opinion. Your opinion differing from my own...

I think it's time to shrug and walk away for me. I don't expect everyone's opinion to match mine. I don't believe my opinion (or that of anyone else) is superior to any other point of view...

Having been to the last filming though, I can state that RDX is very different to BtE. This time, it is back to comedy...at least. The one I saw filmed...

18. The_Original_Cat

The_Original_Cat Third Technician

I hated BTE - I wish it had never been made apart from the fact it has helped to create the new series.

I don't remember laughing once during watching it and a lot of that was down to no audience track.

I'm hoping for a funnier more atmospheric series which will be far better than BTE.

19. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

You really aren't too bright are you.

You are confusing your own opinion with the point of if BTE was a success or not.

The show was a huge ratings success, and had had a new series comissioned off the back of it. 100% indesputable fact.

Opinions differed on BTE, but that is not what we are talking about. For example I think The X-Factor is the worst pile of dross on TV, but I can't dispute the fact that it is a success and makes money.

20. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Gowd! you lot still arguing about this? Haven't you got anything better to do??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.