There should not be any more Red Dwarf.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Murray, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murray

Murray Second Technician

BBC Worldwide and some American company I forget the name of. Not seeing the point, though?

Unless you're trying to claim it has been commissioned by the Beeb because Dave are somehow part of the BBC ...?

2. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

That's exactly what I'm claiming. No "somehow" about it. Dave are co-owned by BBC Worldwide.

You said "no new Red Dwarf has been commissioned by the BBC". But it has been. It hasn't been commissioned by BBC One, or BBC Two. But it has been commissioned by a company operating under a subsidiary arm of the BBC. Therefore, whether indirectly or otherwise, BBC are involved in the financing and production of new Red Dwarf.

3. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

What are you talking about? If RD was being remade as a gay rom-com starring all new actors, I could understand, but it is ANOTHER series of Red Dwarf. Just because you didn't like BTE. Dave have not demanded any changes, simply comissioned a new series of RD because they were delighted with the ratings from BTE

4. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Yes...because, if people read back. That is exactly what I said and exactly how it happened....it must be! Murray says it's so! FACT!!

5. Murray

Murray Second Technician

... I don't think I really have to explain how Dave aren't the BBC, do I? You do know what BBC Worldwide is, don't you?

I'll humour you though, because I couldn't ask this question otherwise: Remind me, if the BBC is funding a new ratings-topping Red Dwarf series as you say, why is it languishing on Dave instead of on one of their actual channels?

And that's literally all that matters to you? They can do whatever the hell they want with the quality of the show, as long as its got the original actors in it?

I didn't say it was so. You said it. You agree with me that Back To Earth wasn't funny, so why are you still arguing with me on that point?

We both agree it wasn't funny. I'm simply saying I'd consider it a failure as a show because of that, and you don't. Enough with the childishness, it's unnecessary.

6. ori-STUDFARM

How does the opening line "I did find BtE funny" agree with you saying it wasn't funny? I found it funny for the most part, but not throughout the whole thing. As I already stated!

BtE was not just a comedy. As I also had already stated!!

BtE offered emotional insights and reintroductions to characters we love and know. Again, as I had already stated. I would quote the whole thing, but you already pointed out that there's nearly an A4 sized write up of what I liked about BtE. All of these points I made previously about why I liked it make BtE better than just another 3 comedy episodes In My Opinion

Isn't this what I also wrote already!! This is the first time you have acknowledged that someone could be entitled to an opinion that differs from your own. I wrote the following and was still challenged for it by yourself...and am I now the one being called childish for not leaving it as a difference of opinion?

I will repeat for the record, I don't expect everyone's opinion to match mine. And I still don't believe my opinion or that of anyone else is more valid than any other points of view...

7. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I work in TV. I deal with the BBC (the broadcaster) on a daily basis. I deal with BBC Worldwide on a daily basis. So yes, I'm acutely aware of the difference between the two, just as I'm aware of the connection between them.

I was making an admittedly pedantic but nevertheless semantically correct point. BBC Television and BBC Worldwide are part of the same umbrella corporation - the BBC. Now, I know that really, when you said "BBC haven't commissioned Red Dwarf", you actually meant BBC's television channels. But you didn't *say* that. You just said "BBC". Of which, as a corporation, BBC Worldwide is a subsidiary. Of which UKTV is a subsidiary. Of which Dave is a subsidiary. QED.

I don't know. Ask them.

Anyway, I'm annoyed at myself for getting dragged into this debate again, so I'll leave it there. You're presenting subjective opinion on the quality of Back to Earth and on whether or not its ratings are deemed a "success" as fact, and using that as the only basis for your argument while ignoring all rational counterpoints. You're deliberately going around in circles, drawing everyone around you in like a black hole composed of ignorance. Well, I'm firing the retros - goodbye!

8. Murray

Murray Second Technician

What you actually said was "I did find BtE funny...at least for the most part.... not throughout the whole thing though.". You couldn't even bring yourself to write it with any conviction, and that's after you wrote a page answering the question of what you liked about BTE which at no point mentioned anything to do with the comedy or humour.

It failed as a comedy. And Red Dwarf without the comedy is nothing.

That's rather disappointing. If you're going to make the point, at least follow it through.

I'll answer it for you; because the BBC know it's not good enough, quality wise. Says it all.

9. ori-STUDFARM

There he goes again. Personal opinion stated as fact!! My opinion was, and always will be, that BtE was more than just 3 simple comedic episodes. People can read my full entry of what I actually liked and disliked about BtE and either choose to agree, or not.

AND I BET YOU HE HAS TO COME BACK FOR THE LAST WORD AGAIN...FFS!!

10. Murray

Murray Second Technician

I'm only concerned with the show being a ratings success for Red Dwarf. Not a ratings success for Dave, or for multichannel TV, or any of the other molehill awards. If you want to characterise it as a ratings success by multichannel TV standards in an effort to make it seem like it's a success for Red Dwarf, then fine. Seems like grasping at straws though.

Because it was relevant to the discussion, of course. We're talking about Back To Earth's ratings being the reason its been recommissioned.

1. I say that BTE is only a success by Dave's standards.
    2. People jump in saying "No, it was a success by multichannel standards"
    3. I become baffled as to why anyone would think that matters to the conversation, since Dave couldn't give a flying fish about what other channels are doing when deciding which shows will get them viewers if they're commissioned.

When I say it was only a success for Dave, and you say "No, it was a success for multichannel TV", that's a completely irrelevent point. They're not co-operating with each other. Dave aren't going "Woo, we scored one for multichannel TV!", nor make any of their decisions based on whether it will be a success for multichannel TV. Multichannel TV shouldn't even come into that discussion.

But anyway, even outside the context of show commissioning, I've already made the point as to why that's a ridiculous and irrelevent point to be making. Because it's like being crowned Employee of the Month at Burger King. It's still not something which could ever be proudly stated as being a success for Red Dwarf. Hope that's cleared that confusion up for you.

You may have inadvertently joined another conversation then. There's a lot of them flying about.

You might want to read the rest of that line, where he basically says "I did find BTE funny ..... a little bit .... I mean, not really, but I didn't see it as a comedy anyway, it was more of an emotional journey with characters we know and love and etc".

Plus, I asked him what he liked about BTE which made it a success, and he spent an entire page detailing the reasons without once mentioning anything related to it being funny, or the humour in any manner. I'm not doing something "beneath me", unless you can honestly look at what he said and swear that I'm not right in my assessment of half-heartedness.

11. Murray

Murray Second Technician

Do you honestly believe that Red Dwarf without the comedy is something which most people would want to watch, or are you just disagreeing with that point for the sake of disagreeing?

I doubt you'll answer that, because the answer is obvious, but really ... do you?

You're really being childish now. Stop that, it's unbecoming.

12. ori-STUDFARM

You might want to read it yourself Murray! It's obviously in clear enough English for others to understand. But you seem to be unable to see anything other than your own point of view and are clutching for support of your opinions where there is none. Which is why this thread drags on and on without achieving conclusion!

13. ori-STUDFARM

If it had NO comedy at all, no. It wouldn't. Luckily it did...which for the most part I enjoyed. But it also had so much more than just comedy to offer!....as I keep repeatedly stating. It was this different dynamic that I really enjoyed the most. As per my previous posting about what I liked....You really do have selective recollection or vision or hearing or something....

Childish?....yeah, okay. Just a little. I tried being a little adult like about it all and it got me precisely nowhere. Like an immature child, some people are just unable to grasp that anybody else other than themselves can have an opinion.

14. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I don't think this conversation is going to get any further without descending into personal attacks (and as it is, Ori, while I know it doesn't spell out the swearing, I'd ask you refrain in future from things like "FFS" as it's pretty clear what the meaning is). It's pretty clear that the capacity for rational debate in this thread was lost long ago, and as such I'm choosing to bring it to a close so that everyone can cool down a bit.

(You'll note that I've done this after Murray responded to my most recent post, so that I can't be accused of having the last word and then locking it. Nothing I've said in this post actually relates to the conversation at hand.)

Murray, you've broken no rules so you're still welcome to post whatever you want wherever you want - but I'd appreciate it if you could consider your point made in this instance and leave it at that. You know there are many people that disagree with you, but your opinion is laid out here for all to see.

Perhaps there's still a sensible debate to be had on this topic some day, but it's not going to happen with the history and baggage of this thread. I think it's best we end it there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.