There's gonna be a Red Dwarf XIII

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Eddiebadassdavis, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Catering Officer

There's gonna be a new season and its already gone into script writing,
    plus there's also a rumor that Rob Grant is also returning after all those 20 ish
    years.

and one more rumor there will be a movie coming.

2. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Is this perhaps a little more certain than any proper confirmation we've gotten?

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Where are you getting all this information from, @Eddiebadassdavis? I think we need a link to the relevant article.

4. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I saw that he hadn't given up on the idea of a movie, and I've got to say, I was pretty surprised.

When I was young, I thought the world was very simple, and movies were movies. And I assumed that, if Red Dwarf had one, it would be as big as Jurassic Park or Independence Day or any other movie. So of course I wanted to see that.

But in practice, a movie adaptation of a British sitcom would be more like a feature length episode that showed in some cinemas, rather than a proper movie. Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa got pretty good reviews (and I enjoyed it), but it cost four million quid to make, and only netted a profit of about two mill. As far as storytelling goes, I'm not convinced putting it in cinemas expanded the possibilities or lifted the material, any more than a 1.5 hr TV special or even BTE-style mini-series would have done. And to put the figures in context, Fantastic Beasts took $800 million worldwide, so clearly not all movies are the same kind of thing at all.

If a Red Dwarf movie were announced now, it'd just feel like a bit of a vanity project? Unless it was honestly going to be a proper movie-style movie, with heavyweight guest stars and proper special effects, rather than another day in space for the same cast with the same theme-tune at the end. And even then, I wouldn't be super optimistic.

Asclepius likes this.
  5. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Abe and Bluey like this.
  6. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Wouldn't the movie have originally been a reboot of sorts? Restarting the Red Dwarf story from a new place? I think that's the difference.

Also, he only said that in a recent interview because he was literally asked about the possibility of a movie.

7. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

What made me nervous in that interview was the last few sentences ...... " although I do have a story for if we decide to give it a finale." As I've said elsewhere in here I DON'T want an "end" to the Dwarf and it's crew. Any ending will just ..... I don't know ...... not feel right to me. I don't particularly care if they ever make it back to Earth and don't particularly want to see them all die either. Let them roam until the end of time I say. Hey..... if it was good enough for the Inquisitor it's good enough for them! :-D

I also didn't care for his equivocation about Kochanski in the interview. No! She's not needed for the main story line and would be nothing but a distraction imho. I wouldn't mind Claire Grogan back in some capacity, preferably not as Kochanski, but I think she deserves another shot of being a Dwarfer. Maybe a rejuvenated, smart Holly? Plenty of material there for laughs imho. Holly doesn't HAVE to be dim or slow or a space case. Or a Medibot ...... the guys aren't getting any younger you know. Or..... but you get my drift.

8. Eddiebadassdavis

search up Red Dwarf on google theres a new page

9. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Actually, this interview brings nothing new. It's even weaker confirmation than last year, because Doug said he doesn't know when. Rob and Chris last year said they are going to shoot it this year...

... But @DivineVarod posted a link to this site on Twitter.
    I don't know where they found this information. There's nothing on Dave website, but it may be from UKTV Press Office, which is accesible only for journalists.

10. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

@Bluey didnt the guy who made this video used to be on the forum? I assume you will know this answer being the forum busybody...

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've no idea. What makes you think he used to be on the forum? You're the second person to make a comment of that nature.

12. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Clearly I know more about our forum affairs than you!!

13. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

I think that’s just the journalist interpretation of Dougs answer rather than any inside info.

Asclepius and Abe like this.
  14. Eddiebadassdavis

its definitely happening

15. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

Look guys, if @Eddiebadassdavis says it's happening then it's happening ok? He knows his shizzle!

sundayforsammy and Ant E like this.
  16. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

As a general rule of thumb, it's probably not a good idea to come onto the official forum with claims about things that are supposedly happening, given that as soon as anything is actually officially happening, the first place you'll hear about it will be... on this official site.

By all means discuss rumours and the like, but let's not pretend that any major announcements of the sort you're talking about will take place without us knowing about it :-)

(And if you are going to discuss rumours and the like, it's polite to cite/link your sources - saying "Google it" doesn't really help!)

Abe, Asclepius and Ant E like this.