Things I Bet You Didn't Know About My Country ......

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by BigOleDummy, Jan 17, 2018.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

The U.S. likes to think we are the paragon of the world, but we gloss over many things, such as ......

Did you know that upwards to 1.6 million of us do not have indoor plumbing? A small percentage of our total for sure but still unacceptable to me. We ARE "the richest country on earth" you know.

Did you know that 7.3 million American children have NO health insurance? And that number is set to skyrocket once the repuglicans get their wishes and kill the Affordable Care Act. Unacceptable imho.

Did you know that in the Land of Freedom we have 6 million people in jail or prison? The highest number AND percentage on earth. More than were in Stalin's Gulag btw. About 49.3% of them for non-violent crimes. We also stand 5th in the world for executing our citizens. Behind only China, Iran, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia. Not the best company to be in imho.

Did you know that in this Age of Information we still have close to 10 million people using dial up for internet access? (9.4 million at last count) This does count the people who refuse to upgrade as well as the ones who only have access via dial up.

Did you know 46.2 million U.S. citizens live in poverty? Approximately 15 percent of us are third world poor.

Did you know that we spend close to 600 BILLION dollars a year on the Defense Dept.? That's 54% of our entire budget.

Anyway........ those are a few facts we like to sweep under the rug. Do you all have any "dirty little secrets" your Government likes to pretend aren't there?

2. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

All countries have dirty little secrets, that the nature of politics and government. Your country has it's foibles and grandeur, just the same as others do. Your certainly not in the top ten of generally rated the worst placed country's in the world to live in I bet though

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  3. neilold

Just looked at a ranking list you're 43 best and were 54th, so we've got more to grumble about that you, and you have a lot less to grumble about than many other countries. of course all lists are questionable, including both mine and yours, but all in all, I'd say your country is no worse than most

Let's look at what you do have

Democracy
    The first amendment
    Ample food and water
    Warmth
    Education, both schools and colleges
    Freedom from dictatorship
    Modern day conveniences
    An adequate transport system
    A chance for an ordinary man to become successful
    No class system to worry about
    The freedom to marry and divorce who you like
    The freedom to follow your own religious beliefs without fear of death

And much more

Of course,not every single citizen will have all these, but they do exist, so it's worth noting what you do have, as well as things your country struggles with

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  4. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

I should make this thread about MY country. :-D I actually wanted, but didn't have much time to frequently write to it.

5. BigOleDummy

Oh sure @neilold , we have plenty of things that's good. Hell, I served two tours in the Army to protect and defend what we have and our way of life. That's does not mean however that I can't see room for improvement though. Don't be like the RWNJ's over here and try to construe criticism for disloyalty. I really hate that. When some fat stupid flake calls me a traitor because I believe we can do better. Yes, I've been called that to my face too. I always come back with "how long did you serve"? Its easy to sit in an easy chair, swilling beer and drape yourself in the flag, its much harder to actually SERVE your country, something most of our citizens will not do. They are content to sit there and let others bear the burden.

I note that you call us a democracy. That is not true and never has been, but that's a common misconception so I won't hold it against you. Technically we are a Republic and yes THAT is enshrined in our Constitution. "We" waffle around that by calling ourselves a Democratic Republic but the truth remains otherwise. In FACT we are an Oligarchy, I refer you to your own BBC :

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-27074746

Its worth a read btw and its not all that long. Rebut what these men say if you can. Its telling that I have to read a study of OUR political system by Professors at one of OUR most highly respected Universities on a FOREIGN website, if you ask me. Not a peep about this anywhere in our news.

I would also argue with another point of yours, "An adequate transport system", but before I do I would require more clarification as to what exactly you mean. Also, "Education, both schools and colleges", sure if you can afford it. My daughter owes over $110,000 dollars in student loans for a job that pays approximately $35,000 a year. And yes, the interest just keeps piling up too.

In the end, of course we as a country have good things and are much better off than a lot of places in the world. On the other hand YES, we could do much better for a huge segment of our population.

Oh, as an aside...... how many people did your Police kill last year? We average about 1000 dead a year, mostly unarmed and mostly for misdemeanor "crimes".

6. BigOleDummy

Asclepius, this thread is for all countries so post your homelands dirty little secrets here too if you wish.

Asclepius likes this.
  7. neilold

Like I said, all countries have there grandeurs and foibles, was ever thus.

8. neilold

I'm also calling bullsmeg on your claim to no democracy. It may be bent, and it may be controlled by the rich, but at the end of the day, it's the people who decides the government. They have the vote, when a time comes when they have no vote, then you can say it's not a democracy, and also show me a country that isn't ogliarchal then . To be a democracy in your terms, practically every issue would have to be decided by the masses, and there wouldn't even be a point for different political parties in the first place. That would be even worse than what we/you have now. Out of interest, how would you like to see your country run?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  9. BigOleDummy

By me of course, why do you ask? And no, I've had enough controversy and strife the last few days so I'm pretty much done with this. I'm already afraid I've pissed off @Ant E again and to be honest...... I like our little brou ha ha's. I respect him and I don't respect a whole lot of people.

10. BigOleDummy

BUT......................lol, as far as what you say about "the vote", look up gerrymandering some time. Our voting is so rigged that we haven't really had a fair election in many years. Add in that travesty, the electoral college, for our presidential elections and our "free vote" takes quite a hit. Lets not even get into "Citizens United", look that up and tell me we have "fair" elections. And like I said earlier too (o.k. o.k. I know this is nit picking), even our founding fathers and our CONSTITUTION say we're not a democracy but a Republic. You like to throw our constitution in my face, have you even read it? I HAVE. I KNOW what it says, do you?

http://constitutionus.com/

Abe likes this.
  11. neilold

I read your Constitution. It's a long and mostly boring read. However it does has some interesting points I wasn't aware of.

I still say you have a democracy. You can nit pick forever over specific issues mind, still that's just my opinion that is no more or less valid than others

BigOleDummy likes this.
  12. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

We invented word robot. It comes from word "robota", which meant hard work.

Also, dollar comes from czech "tolar", which was currency used in history.

13. BigOleDummy

Believe it or not I knew this. But then I'm a HUGE Science Fiction fan.
    "The word 'robot' was first used to denote a fictional humanoid in a 1920 play R.U.R. by the Czech writer, Karel Čapek but it was Karel's brother Josef Čapek who was the word's true inventor."

Asclepius likes this.
  14. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Yes, Karel originally wanted to call them labors from latin labore, but Josef gave him this advice.

BTW they both were pretty important persons of Czechoslovak culture. Karel wrote loads of books and plays. His others sci-fi works are e. g. War with Newts or Krakatit. They're quite dystopian, but he also wrote short detective stories and tales.

His brother was painter, but he also wrote several books including All About Doggie and Pussycat, which was my favourite childhood book.