Things that make you happy

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Jun 27, 2017.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

That happy in everyday life, that are a little different than the norm.

A full fridge - I virtually dance to the fridge when I know it's packed full of yummy goodies.

The mail. It's a wonderful feeling waiting to get the mail on a day when you know something good is gonna arrive. Also applies to takeaway deliveries.

The new videogame feeling. That wonderful sensation when you get a new videogame. Waiting to see how good it will be, and knowing you've got hours of gaming goodness ahead of you, also happens when a game opens up and turns out to be deeper than you thought.

More?

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

New seasons of my favourite TV programmes. Not just Red Dwarf but also things like Game of Thrones, Orphan Black and others. And on the subject of the mail, it always makes me happy when things that I've ordered online finally arrive.

3. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Yes yes! I generally think folk who drive through town centres with loud music are plonkers, so why do I do it myself? Probably coz my music's got class. It has to be shared :lol:

Discovering new musical gems from an old favourite, like I did recently when I found in a charity shop a CD by Status Quo featuring a cover of Raining In My Heart with solo by Brian May. And not just any old solo but a proper full on work of genius with full guitar orchestration and everything. That stuff takes time to nail it like he does. Yes, very pleased with that one. 8-)

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Indeed. Especially a chicken tikka masala from the local restaurant.

5. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

Cats, the fat controller and various people called Tex.

6. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Cats
    Kittens
    Catnip
    Laser dots
    Dreamies/Temptations
    Shiny things

7. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Walks in the countryside, pizzas, Red Dwarf/Buffy/Angel/Firefly, laughing babies, seeing other people happy, human kindness, compassion, empathy, forgiveness, intellectual/emotional honesty, bravery, and luuurve. Also, music, and that tingly feeling I get when playing somewhat dreamy/ethereal notes/licks/chords, such a 5342-5341 plucking pattern of A2 with a capo on the second fret, for example. :-)

8. Nikki the Great

No I dont know anyone called Rex apart from like one dog.

9. Strat-tastic

That B 2 good Freeborn John!

10. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

Agreed, but the only descent post I get now are things I order online. I remember writing letters on a regular basis to my grandparents, pen-pals, and even my parents when away visiting my grandparents. It was always a very special thrill to see your name on an envelope, even if it only had a second class stamp on it. ;-)

Just think, very few kids today will ever receive a hand written letter.

Too right! A hot jalfrezi, aloo mutar, dhal, a cool raita, naan... I may need to run out to my local right now just thinking about it.

Discovering a new author (or old one I haven't read).
    A few quiet minutes in a busy day.
    A grand holiday away.

11. Freeborn

Ah yes, right you are, sir. :-) I tend to just describe chords relative to the capo (as if it were the nut). Which I know is technically incorrect what with the whole key-change thing, but it's how I was taught...by me, mostly, lol.

As an aside, there's another nice chord (or shape) being picked in 'Naked as we came', which I call...a C-type-thingie-moved-up-a-few-frets (relative to the capo). :lol: (so that would be: 276252)

Here be the song to which I refer
    Edit: Not sure why the link wont work, but it's here:
    http://musicmegaboxen.net/song/209377-naked-as-we-came/

It's so nice & easy that even I can play it (albeit a tad slower, for now) :-) Which is more than can be said for that Rodrigo y Gabriela song I was attempting. I've put that on the back burner for now, but should have it mastered within a decade or so. ;-)

12. Strat-tastic

I'll have to try that chord, it sounds weird, at least from the description. Are you playing all six strings, or maybe plucking note by note? It's 50% E major with an A and 2 F#s. You're a jazz musician aren't you :roll:

I think you're right to call it an A2 btw. It's just me, as I don't use a capo so I need to transpose it. That gig last Sunday, two of the songs were capoed (is that a word?), so I went off and printed myself a version with the uncapoed (!!!) chords. At the practises it was fun when the acoustic guitarist was saying one chord and I was saying another and trying to transpose in me head... Oh we had a right old scream I tells ya :shake:

Anyway, we have a jam to sort out! :nod:

Freeborn likes this.
  13. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

You want me to follow your Cords?

Nikki the Great and Freeborn like this.
  14. Freeborn

Haha, Well, I sometimes use a Jazz III plectrum if that counts. ;-) Actually, I made a bit of a pigs ear of my original description tbh. Most notably I forgot to mention that it's in Drop-D tuning. I learned to play the song I linked to from a tutorial on youtube, but, according to some tab I just found, the chord is Dadd11. So if played without a capo that would be 054010. And the notes are being plucked on strings 5342-6342). Apologies for the confusion caused by my original description.

Ah, yeah I can see how that could make things a tad complicated. I had a similar-ish problem when a guy I was playing with forgot to tell me a song was in Drop-D tuning. You wouldn't catch me leaving out such important details as that!..erm, usually. ;-)

Indeed, arrange a jam we must! :-)

15. Nikki the Great

Corduroy trousers make me happy. Which is relevant to the thread titled "Things That Make You Happy".

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  16. Strat-tastic

Drop D tuning makes me happy. Very happy. Clean or dirty, it rawks!

I'd tell you about the Fall chord, but it just wouldn't work.

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  17. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Nikki the Great likes this.
  18. Nikki the Great

Thank goodness for you Cloud. You saved this thread. @Tex_Rimmer would approve.

19. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I have never received higher praise!

Nikki the Great likes this.