Things that should never return.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Slainmonkey, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Just as the title said, mistakes Red Dwarf has made that you hope to never see again.
    -No more recycling of old jokes done worse (last thing we need is another Dibbly family).
    -No more of that series 8 style humour.
    -No more JMC on board computer (everything involving that was dreadful).
    -No more doctor bot.
    -No more Taiwan Tony.
    -No more thrown together last second messes like "Dear Dave".

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

So basically this is a 'things you don't like in Red Dwarf' thread.

3. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Yup, totally agree. Shudder. Please never go back to that.

But, thinking X to XI & XII. No Kerry Shale screen bot things. Less episodes like The Beginning.

More of everything else! Vending machines, idle chit chat, kebab pillows, words like 'slag' that upset the fluffy bunny heads and Doug's stuff about Chinese whispers. It annoys fluffy bunny heads even more :lol:

I pretty much loved X. Pretty much more please!!!

4. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

I never found the vending machines funny. :?

More psychological and timey wimey episodes.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

No more big surprise reveals about the characters, Doug did it twice with rimmer in S10 alone and to me it takes away some subtlety about the characters as He is either trying to surprise the audience or he thinks he is making some clever explanation for something that doesn't need explaining

6. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Which two were these? And why not further develop characters??

7. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

I dont want Kochanski anywhere near Seasons XI and XII. I know I wont get my wish but I have a very good reason for this...

It gives Lister an aim... to find Kochanski. Besides going back to earth, its his reason for living and drives the plot. If she turns up every 5 minutes, then he has what he wants and the plot is stagnant.

If you listen to Smegheads podcast, I've posited that Grant & Naylor were inspired by Don Quixote when making Red Dwarf. Ive never seen them admit it, but I think there are alot of similarities. Kochanski is Dulcinea, the object of the protagonists affection and its this quest to find her that drives the narrative.

So TL:-DR - Red Dwarf = Don Quixote so no Kochanski = Better.

8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

He did it twice to Rimmer, first in Trojan and second in The Beginning. Arguably in Trojan it wasn't Rimmer himself but it was a surprise retcon to Rimmer's family background.

I agree with Talkie on this. It's not an aversion to character development, that's fine but I'd rather they did so going forward rather than using retcons to shoehorn it into the character's past.

9. Presuming Ken

Are you going to be plugging your stuff in every other post you make? :roll:

10. Presuming Ken

I'm not sure if it counts as a retcon or not, but I hate the whole Lister is Lister's dad stuff. I loved the fact there was that point of reference there. The last human being was abandoned under a pool table. Made him so much closer as a character somehow.

Then we find he put himself there himself. It made Lister less special to me.

Although Fathers & Suns wouldn't have happened. And that's a great ep :-)

11. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

I agree entirely, it just doesn't work for me either. That's one thing I would be happy to see retconned out, or at least dropped.

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Rimmers brother turning out to be just like rimmer and rimmers father turning out not to be his father, both shock reveals for rimmer

There was development in the early series that didn't need surprise reveals that probably seem cool in dougs mind but to me at least they hurt some of the subtleness that rob and doug did very well back then, even in the novels they kept some subtlety, and i fear thats the curse of a long running series where the creators start to want to go back to explain something things with twists and it usually feels forced and silly, it happened with star trek too when it got to star trek: enterprise

i have a funny feeling there will another reveal and it will be with the cat this time

13. Presuming Ken

Although credit where credit's due. I think for Doug to resurrect that alwful happening and making Fathers and Suns out of it was pretty damn good.

But I'm not sure it was him being bullish that he thought it was a good idea in the first place or that he was trying to remdeem himself by writing a great episode from the ashes of a poor idea.

14. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

It was relevant to the topic and backed up the previous paragraph that you left out of your quote for effect.

15. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

No. It's a things that should never return thread. Which is different. For example, I really liked Duane Dibbley but don't think he should ever return

16. Presuming Ken

Oo, Mr Grumpy. You couldn't make your point without referencing your podcast? Again? Plugger! :P

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Why? If the character is brought back and works well in an episode, what's the problem?

18. Presuming Ken

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBIWMgPZo2Q

19. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

As long as there is no Kochanski I am happy

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

What about it?