Things we want to return (and not)

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mophead241, Dec 29, 2011.

1. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

What people/creatures/things from the previous 8 series would we like to ruturn in series 10 or 11, and what do we think should be left alone? My opinions are:

Return
    Holly
    Camille
    Holly opening scenes - 3 million years from Earth...(if Holly returns)
    Bunkroom scenes
    Queeg

Left alone
    Dwayne Dibbley
    Ace Rimmer (unless used very well)
    Polymorph (a great concept, but only worked once)
    Despair (or Joy) Squid
    Kotchanski (as a regular)

Not Sure
    Legion
    Psirens
    Confidence and Paranoia
    Parallel Universe Crew
    Cassandra

2. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Holly, Holly Opening Scene and the Bunkrooms I agree with. Would be nice to see a return...at least for Hattie. Or maybe with another third face... Camille and Queeg I disagree with. Both are great episodes that are done with IMO. I don't think it would benefit from being revisited and would prefer these left alone.

Duane Dibley, Ace Rimmer, Polymorph, Despair Squid. Agreed. I don't think a revisit would help. Maybe at some point in the future, Ace could pop in...but it would be a big risk. Kochanski I would like to see. Maybe not as another fully fledged crew member...maybe they could come across message buoys or something at regular intervals with recorded logs from her....

Legion, Psirens and Cassandra should be left alone in my opinion. And for the same reasons as Camille and Queeg.

Confidence & Paranoia is my favourite episode and I would love to see them return. Which isn't to say they should return....maybe, to preserve my memory of it, it shouldn't. I'm unsure too with them

The Parallel Universe crew could be a very interesting concept. Lister, the mother, calling in to visit his twin boys...already knowing the hideous fate that awaits Bexley. I think this one possibly has the most potential for a revisit.

I have always wondered about the rest of Cat race on the Ark though. Where did they go and what was their fate? I've always been a supporter of this concept being revisited. Whether they have more Cat's in it or just come across some evidence of their existence. Could be a good excuse to look at Cat in a bit more detail. See if there are any hidden depths to his personality below the shallow selfish exterior. I know others don't want it revisited, but I can see so much potential in it...

3. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

I'd forgotten the cat race, that would make a very good episode. As for the others I understand why you think Queeg and Camille should be left alone but I think they could work bacause they haven't been overused yet (both have only been used once), so still can be used well if they are used correctly.

I think Future Echoes could be used again too, I was going to put them into not sure but forgot to. They could work really well like the first time, but could end up like Emohawk for the Polymorph - a good concept that worked once but should have been left alone.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

maybe bring holly back, but leave all these other characters out as there is no need to revisit any of them

although i think the polymorph could return because how i see it is that it was inspired by the alien movie, and seeing as we had polymorph 2 in series 6 we could pehaps get polymorph 3 for the new series which would be a nice throw back to the alien movie series, although it would have to be done very fresh and not a rehash

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

'Emohawk' was great up until they left the GELF village. Once they were back on Starbug and actually had to deal with the titular creature, it turned to guff. I don't want to see Spanners from 'Dimension Jump' return because some new form of the polymorph has removed Lister's slothfulness, or Jake Bullet appear because Kryten has his sense of propriety removed.

6. MichaelJRimmer

MichaelJRimmer Second Technician

On the Jupiter Corporation Mining Ship Red Dwarf
    I want agree with all of the return but I think that Queeg and Camille dont work. I agree with the Left alone but I want the Parallel Universe. Maybe seeing Bexley's death?

7. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Return

Simulants (they're in all the best episodes....and one in series 7 too :-p )
    Gelf
    Derelict ships to explore
    Holly
    Starbug
    Blue Midget
    Exploring What it means to be a Hologram
    Exploring What it means to be a Cat
    Exploring What it means to be a Mechanoid

Not return

Anything too fan****y (We're under attack by ship full of Emohawks. We must capture one and use it to remove Mr Rimmer's bitterness, turning him back into Ace Rimmer so he can save us all. Meanwhile there's another white hole loose and its spit the Inquisitor back into existence, we'll have to fight him by getting the time machine out and going back to when we met him the last time and make sure we do a better job last time, etc...

8. AmandaKnox

AmandaKnox Third Technician

Couldn't stand Queeg, ended up being Holly playing a prank anyway

9. Claire_C

Claire_C Third Technician

Does this fate await Bexley though? In the novels it was changed to Bexley's son. :? I agree about revisiting the Parallel crew though; I think it would be very interesting. :-)

10. DeSmegster

DeSmegster Third Technician

I agree with many of the posts and most the characters listed could be revisited , except Polymorph , i think its been overdone.
    I would like to see more GELFS being involved as an enemy , not necessarily due to Lister and his wife , but for many other reasons.

11. The_Original_Cat

The_Original_Cat Third Technician

The one thing I would want to return would be the Grant Naylor partnership.

Seeing as that's not gonna happen then I'll go for some kind of Petersen flashback.

12. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

:shock:WHAAAAAAAaaaaaaT!??:eek:

13. Paul Taylor

I see your 'WHAAAAAAAaaaaaaT', and raise you a ' THE SMEG!'

'Queeg' is rarely thrown into the 'can't stand' drawer.

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

None of the above except for bunk room scenes. That is so long as they match the character-driven brilliance of series 1 and 2 rather than featuring the crude toilet humour of series 8.

15. MichaelJRimmer

MichaelJRimmer Second Technician

On the Jupiter Corporation Mining Ship Red Dwarf
    Queeg was good but only when he was a prank. Maybe if a virus makes Queeg become a real program and take over starbug or something....

16. Paul Taylor

Perhaps an emohawk could get into Holly, devour a personality trait and transform his appearance the way they do.

17. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Return
    Holly and Holly opening scenes
    Good quality bunkroom scenes
    Rogue Simulants
    New technologies to generate storylines, such as the anti-matter paddle, time drive, DNA machine, etc.
    Cat species
    Skutters
    Jim and Bexley
    GELFs
    Unexplored areas of the ship
    Familiar areas of the ship
    Starbug
    Blue Midget
    Starbug 4 (Sea Bug)

Left alone
    Dwayne Dibbley
    Ace Rimmer
    Polymorph
    Despair (or Joy) Squid
    Kotchanski as a regular
    The Red Dwarf crew (unless used well)
    Dance/music sequences

18. melissariley

melissariley Third Technician

I'd like to see confidence and paranoia return. Craig Ferguson should get his old role back as Lister's confidence!

19. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I'd like to see Howard Goodall's beautiful Blue Danube-riff from this episode return

20. SurfboardingKillerBikiniVampireGirl

SurfboardingKillerBikiniVampireGirl Catering Officer

My wish list:

New and interesting technologies/viruses (more anthroporphic technologies/viruses would be a particular bonus)
    Holly
    Scutters
    Model shots
    Bunkroom scenes with great dialogue
    Queeg and/or Ace Rimmer if used in a creative way
    Wouldn't mind a return of the Polymorph if used for an original plot
    Something that tells us what happened with the rest of the cat race
    Venturing into unexplored areas of the ship
    Parallel universe crew/Lister's kids
    Exploration of new ships/planets

Things I'd prefer not to see:

Duane Dibbley (hilarious the first time, okay the second time, cringeworthy after that)
    Musical/dance numbers (they've been well-done in the past, but they're just not my thing)
    Mood-altering squids (I liked them, but feel that this area has been fully explored)
    Other members of the original ship's crew (except perhaps Ackerman)