Things we want to return (and not)

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mophead241, Dec 29, 2011.

1. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I would like to hear a mention of the other crew members though. Not to see them, just an explanation...are they still out there? We had a reality of the Last Human in existence. Now, depending on how the Series VIII cliffhanger was resolved, we could potentially have a fleet of Starbug and Blue Midget vessels with hundreds of surviving humans onboard somewhere in the depths of space....

2. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Speaking of which does anyone know if HG has been announced or even rumoured for a return to RD music-ing?

I may hate almost everything else about series 7 but I was listening to some of his music for it the other day and I really thought it was top notch stuff, particularly the "chase" music as used in a few eps (or "Lister swaps Kryten's heads in ep 1" music which may jog your memories more!) and of course Ace Rimmer's opening chase music, touchingly followed up with the "hologram coffin" scene....

I really hope he has some involvement in series X to give it that extra epic feel.

Failing that, get Murray Gold in, another soundtrack genius from another sci-fi parish :-p

3. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

That would be a dream come true!! I very much doubt he will be back to score the entire series, I think they'll mostly rely on Library Music like in Series VIII/BTE (for budgetry reasons?), but perhaps he'll back to score new music for any key scenes?

4. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

No announcement on music yet - not even any rumours, either. I think that sort of thing will probably come further down the line, when the episodes are finished and ready to be scored (if appropriate).

I can say though that - personally - if there's one person who previously worked on the programme who I'd love to see back creating new material for it, more than anybody else, it's Howard Goodall. And yes, I even include Rob Grant in that.

5. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Couldn't agree more.

6. supercat

supercat Console Officer

It might be interesting for them to come across a cat race elsewhere. Maybe a populated planet or some sort of space station. Separate from those who descended directly from The Cat.

7. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

Maybe they could reach Fiji and find the cats from the ark that didn't crash. Or they could find a race that evolved from another cat, to avoid getting too close to Earth and having to make an excuse for why they don't go back. (this could also make an amusing contrast between the two cat races, with different religions and rules and so on..)

8. stano123

stano123 Skutter

Not that bothered about what character's are in or not, i just hope the jokes and feel for the show is back to when it was best, and the writers stays away from the cheap repeat jokes which they started using in later series. Im all for FX, but it shouldnt be the be all and end all, thats not what made the show great it was great story lines and clever jokes and brilliant delivery from the lads, back to basics i say. :lol:

9. PudForever

PudForever Third Technician

Completely agree, some of the scores and music in Red Dwarf, Especially early Red Dwarf has been beautiful!

10. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

I'm not too fond of the re-introducing of old episode concepts however I was still happy with Polymorph II but I think because of how long it's been the show should almost start a fresh (not to be taken to extremes). With Doug hinting at the new series focusing on the character's family backgrounds then I would be interesting to see what Cat's upbringing was like, how life was in the ship's supply decks during the wars fought over the colour of the pointy hats would be a fascinating backstory if you ask me.

11. CharlieTeague

Here's my personal list:

Return,
    1. Sequence of Lister painting the ship and zooming out to show size of the ship (as well as the current opening style first done in Series 3)
    2. Holly (Played by Hattie or Norman, preferrably Norman for continuity sake)
    3. Real/model skutters instead of CGI
    4. Model ship shots rather than CGI
    5. Kryten's spare heads (maybe not possible due to them blowing up in Beyond a Joke)
    6. Starbug (not in car form)
    7. Polymorph (to explain the skin on the bathtub in Back to Earth)
    8. Bunkroom scenes
    9. Ace Rimmer (if the Rimmer in Back to Earth is the original Rimmer instead of the one who was resurrected in series 8)
    10. The simulants
    11. Better Than Life concept

Leave out,
    1. Dwayne Dibbley
    2. Kinitawawi Gelfs (Lister's Gelf bride's tribe)
    3. Queeg
    4. Kochanski

The rest I'm unsure of, hopefully the new series guest stars will be new ones like Noddy.

12. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Here's your explanation: the crew were hallucinating that.

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i believe it was suppost to be the snake skin from series 3, and as it was the crews imagination it doesnt matter why it was found in the comic shop near the bathtub, i think thats what sebs trying to say

plus from what i can tell series X is set after BTE so why would we see the lister bathtub thing

14. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Well, since it causes a false present, it's hardly a stretch to suggest that it would also cause false memories.

15. ori-STUDFARM

I'm sure it has already been confirmed that RDX was set AFTER BtE. Also, whatever happened in BtE after the squid attack isn't happening in real life. They are all living out an hallucination. The DVD write-up, the snake skin....non of it actually happened or matters. With the exception of Lister's realisation that Kochanski is alive. The hallucination brought that from his subconscious memory into his conscious mind.

16. DeSmegster

DeSmegster Third Technician

It may have been mentioned , but i think it would be cool if the crew find the lost Red Dwarf , the one they were searching for in series 7 up until in Nanarchy , and have no idea what to do with it?

17. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

I think the one in Nanarchy was the original, the nanobots had just turned it into a planet. I may be wrong though, I don't watch series 7 a lot.

18. ori-STUDFARM

Thats how I always figured it...

19. CharlieTeague

I don't doubt it its just that they published 'takes place after "series ten" on the actual box art for the real DVD, if it were an irrelevant or incorrect detail I doubt they will have kept it.

20. CharlieTeague

It's possible, this is why I don't like the plot of BTE, it raises lots of questions that may never be answered.

Edit:
    Sorry about my ironic rudeness.