Things we want to return (and not)

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mophead241, Dec 29, 2011.

1. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

It still bewilders me that they have the series ten reference just for the sake of it.

2. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

It's not for the sake of it. It is a comedy gag....one of the better ones if you ask me. At the time of the reference, there was no series IX or X. That was the joke.

Since then, BtE's viewing figures have proved successful enough to commission a new series. But the DVD cover and the dialogue within the DVD were written before that.

The episode also talks about the events of Series IX. Lister's heavy drinking and depression. Kochanski's unwillingness to see him killing himself and leaving. Kryten lying about her death knowing Lister wouldn't cope with being dumped. These are all events that are now a part of the characters history being remembered in the episode before the squid attack. But they did not occur in the real world. BtE is now officially Series IX.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Yes, the package of BtE we received in the real world was modelled on the packaging of the BtE DVD that the lads found in the store with much the same blurb. In effect they're including us in the gag.

Actually, those events DID happen from the character's point of view. They were just never filmed in a series*, but those parts are not false memories. They happened off-screen between series VIII and BtE, much like Lister's giving birth to Jim and Bexley and the recovery of Kryten happened between series 2 and 3. (Although technically, I suppose you could say it happened as part of series 3 as it's mentioned in the scrolling blurb, but it was off-screen, is what I mean. The adventures with the Pan-Dimensional Liquid Beast from the Mogadon Clustre would be another example.)

*Which might have been what you meant.

4. ori-STUDFARM

That was my meaning....it just wasn't worded as well as yours. :-)

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

In five year's time, after series X, XI and the movie have all been shown, we'll still get newbies introducing themselves in the Xpress Lift conference asking whether BTE happens before or after series X, because of what it says on the DVD.:lol:

Is anyone else gutted we never got to see this fabled series IX? Sounds like a rollicking good laugh.

6. ori-STUDFARM

Having it labelled as the "best series of Red Dwarf there ever was" is a big thing to try and live up to though. Even if was only said in an unreality occurring within the universe of a ficticious TV show....

7. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

Reading my first reply I realized how rude it sounded, rather embarrassed that it was directed at the administrator, very ironic, sorry Seb!

8. jpinks

jpinks Skutter

Holly has to return. I would really like to see Mr Lovett reprise Holly but I understand there might be some bad history there from my reading. I think it could be fun having both Holly's on board. I mean Holly is very old now. Could make for a funny episode.

9. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

I think RD X should refrain from referencing past characters/plots & establish its own new ideas to keep things fresh.

But saying that I would like to see a Talkie Toaster episode!

10. RebelWabbit

RebelWabbit Second Technician

It would be REALLY funny if there was like some radioactive activity on Red Dwarf that was bringing back old ship mates constantly. It would be even more funny if MR.Ackerman returned as zombie or something LOL! Or even their captain... I seriously can't wait to see whats in store with the Dwarfers!

11. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

I think Holly needs to return in the new series. Even if it's just in the final episode or something along the lines of what they did in S7. The show isn't the same without him. I realize even now this probably isn't going to happen, but I think it's a mistake.

Also, am I the only one that is disappointed they aren't reusing the sets from Back to Earth?! Those things looked brilliant, the best RD has ever looked.

12. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

They did look impressive, but wait until you see the RDX sets!! ;-)

13. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

I think that by the time of S7/8, the show had changed so much that Lovett's Holly just didn't work any more. He is suited to the first two series when not much happens and the crew don't want to do anything. He was essentially a curmudgeon, a grumpy uncle figure to look after the young guys without ever really doing anything.

Once the crew became more "pro-active" from S3 onwards, the female Holly was much better - inefficient, but of the same age group as them and able to contend (just) with the various adventures they went on.

So when they then brought back Norman at the end of S7, he just didn't fit into what the show had become. It would be the same if he'd returned any time from S3 onwards.

14. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

They did look brilliant but I would prefer the older/classic look. I want it to look and feel like dwarf again

15. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

I thought that too at first but when I saw the set it really did grow on me and now I think it's one of the best.

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Much as I like the new red sets (the little I've seen) I hope we see some grey or white stuff too.

17. simulant37

The thing is Kryten serves the function of Holly, a lot of Hollys stuff was plot exposition. Not sure how he would fit back in the show again.

18. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Things i want to return

1 A scene with Rimmer and his brothers played by Chris
    2 A flash back scene with Peterson and Lister, didn't even see him in series 8
    3 Lister's hat and the old costumes
    4 a good Ace scene if done right.
    5 The old Bug, midget and Red Dwarf model shots
    6 Episode explaining the the Cat race
    7 old bunkroom scenes with Rimmer and Lister
    8 would love to see lister's confidence character back

Things I don't want

1 no kachaski just the four dwarfers
    2 dont want the old crew back like in 8
    3 not to much CGI

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Ageing might be an issue for some people here*. Not so much Lister as he has aged 9 years, and looking the same in a flashback could be interpreted as his present self looking back, if you get what I mean. But Petersen would still still be the same young viking. The main point to such a scene would be, does it serve the story? If it does, fair enough.

I'm not fussed if they're exactly the same, but something that references the look would be good. I think that's what we'll be getting anyway.

I agree, in that I'd like to know what happened to our Rimmer who left to be Ace in series 7. I believe the Ace of BtE and Series X is the same one, but finding out how he got from here to now, and what happened to the resurrected human Rimmer would be nice.

We're not getting the same Red Dwarf. (Quite.) The fact it seems to be a cut down version of the pencil ship is a nice compromise in my view though. I'd imagine Starbug will be much the same (why change such a classic look?). Personally I rather liked the remastered Blue Midgets, while there's certainly nothing wrong with the original model, albeit it's a bit Thunderbirdy (made by the same people so that makes sense). I'd welcome other shuttle craft type ships as well.

Yes to both of these! I hope we catch up with the Cat race. As for the bunkroom scenes, as long as the jokes are good, fair enough.

Ugh. No thank you.

I agree, although I'd like to find out what happened to them.

They're going back to model shots for crafts, etc, so I don't think this will be a problem. CGI will, and should, have it's place though.

*I'm not really that fussed about ageing in general (Angel looked quite a bit older in his series than he was in the early Buffy episodes, and he isn't supposed to be aging at all). I just take it that they look younger to everyone else in that world if not to us.

20. simulant37

No more Ace Rimmer or Dwayne Dibbley or Kochanski