Things we want to return (and not)

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mophead241, Dec 29, 2011.

1. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

I dont want to see Dwayne Dibbley or Kochanski, but love the Ace character, so a good Ace moment would be great.

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I'm not sure that was down to a simple question of availability. Mark Williams doesn't seem to like going back to his old projects. He doesn't appear in the Foster's 'Fast Show' revamp so I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want to come back to Red Dwarf even if asked.

3. Carrie TORDFC

Carrie TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

I was after beautiful sets, new revelations and laugh out loud gags. I wasn't disappointed on any front.

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Good to know. I know most of the people who went are fans anyway* but the more I read gives me high hopes for Series X.

Mind you, I'm pretty easily pleased. While I found parts of VIII weak, and didn't take to all of Series 1 (although fantastic stuff in that series) I don't think there's any series of Red Dwarf I dislike.

*Although I actually think they're more likely to be critical if anything. Series VII and VIII aren't well loved amongst fans, but if one judged by viewing figures, they were the most successful series of Red Dwarf ever!

5. pbsausie

pbsausie Skutter

I wish G & T hadn't prejudiced people against a joke by calling it "weak observational humour on present-day Britain" in one of their set reports. They should have stayed silent and let people make up their own minds.

I hope we get a Cat-centric episode.

6. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Are you incapable of making up your own mind? I never let a review change my ideas/opinions about something. Just because the G&T report says this doesn't mean you have to agree. Watch the episode with an open mind and you decide how the joke works for yourself.

Besides, there have been pick up shoots and editing, who's to say the joke is even still in there?

G&T's reviews have been fantastic and honest, and that comment is one of very few negative remarks about the new series. If that's all they can criticise about then I think we're in for a treat!

7. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Also, do you think you will spot the line they were referring to when it actually airs in October? Because I know I won't be able.

8. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

There are plenty things I want to see returned, most of which have been outlined in posts above. However there is one thing I dont want to see, which will be definately be included and unavoidable.... Blooming adverts. Apart from spoiling the flow of the programs, on Dave they even seem to cut at adds mid sentence on program dialogue on some programs. Please get the editing right for adverts were Red Dwarf is concerened.

Hats off to Dave for doing Red Dwarf , but please get the advert breaks right.

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I really don't get the issue with adverts. At least I would if we were living back when the only channel had been BBC1 and this newfangled ITV was just starting, but we've had decades of TV channels with adverts! I've pretty much got used to them. Most of the channels on the telly have them, and for me they're a time to go and make a cup of tea and/or ruminate on what I've just seen. Strangely, I've actually come to enjoy the breaks, even if I'm enjoying the programme.

The excessive ad breaks I saw on American or Canadian TV while I was holiday in Canada years back were a real pain though.

10. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

It's quite simple really. They spoil the flow of a program, any program. Just because we have had ads for years doesn't make them any less invasive. I don't mind ads in general but sometimes shows are not even edited to suit the ads, as I said above sometimes an ad break just pops mid sentenace.

I visited America in 1994 and the ads they had were on more than the program was on. That was when our TV had itv and ch4 ads only. With satellite TV we now have as many ad breaks as they do in America. I know ads are a funding for the chl and neccessary, all i'm saying is I hope the edits are made to suit the ad times or vice versa so as not to spoil the flow.

11. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

So not ANY program then.

Fair enough though. I agree with much of that. The adverts certainly need to be placed correctly within the episode. Most I've seen seem to be anyway, although I can see it being an issue with programmes originally set up for the BBC that make it to other channels. (Like a certain show that made it's way to Dave...) And yeah, the placement of adverts on American programs were dreadful.

And my post wasn't aimed specifically at you. There was a whole lot of complaints when the news came out concerning BtE that it would now (shock! horror!) appear on a channel and be broken up by adverts! As if these adverts are a new thing.