Things you thought you didn't like but actually did

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by jmc2000, May 16, 2018 at 6:48 PM.

1. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I've never really liked peaches. Yesterday I tried one on a whim and thought it was delicious. Really juicy and aromatic - almost like a mango. It gradually dawned on me that what I don't like is peach-flavoured sweets, and I'd never given the actual fruit a chance.

When I was a young adult, my friend was raving about a Joss Whedon show called Firefly and - as you do when you like something at that age - trying to force me to watch it so I could love it too. I thought I'd hate it but agreed to borrow the DVDs. Then, for a prank, I started texting him how much I was enjoying it, just so I could later say, "Nah, I didn't even watch it" to deflate him.

But I got a bit too engrossed in the charade, and got to a point where I was thinking, "Right, I better watch an episode for research, so I can pretend to love specific bits of it for verisimilitude." When I put it on, it turned out I did actually love it (mind you, I wouldn't bother watching it nowadays, so suppose I've come full circle on Firefly).

Cycling. I always rolled my eyes at people who cycled, but I've got a bike now and love it. I'm actually shocked that I got this far in life without realising how convenient a bike is. You can get places really quickly, with minimal effort (if it's not uphill), and you don't have to put petrol in. Short of suddenly being able to teleport, I can't imagine anything more life-changingly useful than a bike. I'm actually really annoyed to think how much walking I've done in my life so far and certainly won't be doing any more.

Asclepius likes this.
  2. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I have a similar problem with Strawberry flavoured things, Strawberries themselves I like though. I blame overindulgence in the '80s when sickly artificial flavourings were the norm.

For years as a child I would go through a summer holiday tradition of trying an olive, which I always hated but for some reason every year I'd try one just to see, until one year when I was about 13-14 I tried one and loved it. I think that was more to do with my tastes changing as I grew up though.

A lot of cyclists still annoy the hell out of me, mostly because it seems that a notable majority either don't know the rules of the road or chose to ignore them. Without knowing the exact circumstances I find it hard to have much sympathy when I hear about a cyclist getting run over when I've seen so many of them running red lights, riding dangerously or riding on the road in spite of there being a perfectly good cycle path right next to them.

The one that really sticks in my mind was my certainty back in the tail end of the last century that I'd never want a mobile phone. I couldn't see the point in them at all, I had a landline and there were payphones so why would I ever need one or want one? That lasted until I was given my younger sister's old handset after she'd got an upgrade and I quickly became hooked on the convenience of the thing, this was back in the days when all most mobile phones could do was make calls and send very short text messages.

Not so much one that I was sure I wouldn't like, but I did turn out to be very wide of the mark on. I can remember making a confident (And arrogant) statement that Windows wasn't for proper PC users, it was just for people who were too lazy to learn how to use MS-DOS.

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 8:41 PM
  3. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

When I was in Britain, I was suprised, how many people use bikes in cities. In the Czech Republic, it's quite rare to see cyclist in the city. It's starting to get better, because in Prague, we've got good bike,sharing system and it's becoming more and more popular. The biggest problem are negative reactions from "walking people" and of course the traffic.
    But I was thinking to ride a bike in city too. The problem is, I mostly go to school, which is behind a hill... and I need a new bike!

4. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Around the time I was the same kind of age as you are now I grew up in Germany just over the border from the Netherlands and cyclists were far more common, but then the cycle routes were far, far better. The cycle routes in London are better now than they were even a few years ago, but it's been at the expense of roads which has increased congestion and not all cyclists will use them adding to the problems since they'll often weave in and out of the cars without consideration of blind spots, run red lights and jump on and off the pavements when it suits them.

I'm not sure what the solution necessarily is, but from my own experience European cities benefit cyclists and drivers much better than Britain seems to manage it.

5. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Yes, I'm always actually a bit surprised by how strawberries taste. They're fresh and a bit tangy - almost like they could be a tropical fruit.

I think aliens (or even human beings from different eras) would be a bit baffled by our artificial flavours, because very few of them taste much like the thing they're meant to be. They should just name them after colours, because "pink flavour" captures the taste better than "strawberry", IMO.

It used to annoy me how it seemed that cyclists would do all these things and then shriek like harpies if someone set foot on one of their precious cycle paths.

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

One of those things I learned in my days in an Icecream factory, Strawberry flavour is clear, the Pink colour is concentrated Beetroot extract. I've also never really understood why Strawberry=Pink but Raspberry=Blue, even today. And I love Raspberrys, Loganberrys and Raspberry flavoured items.

I can remember listening to a Radio 4 programme a few years back regarding how quickly and how much various fruits and vegetables had changed, Pineapples would have apparently been remarkably different in their natural form both physically and in taste from their modern versions.

Lemon flavour in the UK has always bugged me since it's almost always insipidly sweet compared to the much closer citrus sharpness you get on the continent (Compare a Lemon Opal Fruit to an actual lemon slice). When I did work in the Ice cream factory it was one of my criticisms during a taste-test I was invited into that the Lemon flavour bore little actual relation to how a Lemon tasted, the response was that this was what people expected from Lemon flavour.

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 10:45 PM
  7. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

8. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

Jason Donovan

9. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I went to a large orgy once and when I got there it was mostly old men and I thought "there is no way I am going to like this" 3 vodkas and a bag of cocaine later and I had the time of my life.

Nikki the Great likes this.
  10. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

Sounds like the usual antics of the last of the summer wine annual convention.