Things you'd like to see in a future series

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by starlight84uk, Nov 10, 2012.

1. starlight84uk

starlight84uk Third Technician

Just a few minor things for me. I'd like to see Kryten have a better mask. I did get used to it but I don't see why they couldn't go back to a better looking mask. Something from series 6-8 would be good.
    I'd like Rimmer's H to be bigger. I hardly noticed it sometimes.
    Each episode had at least one forced joke. Some eps had far too many. If in doubt, leave it out. I'd rather not have anything to laugh at than a bad joke that makes me groan.
    Stories: I thought each episode had a good story. I'd like to see at least one episode of being trapped with each other e.g. Marooned, Quarantine.

2. ShrunkenPixel

ShrunkenPixel Second Technician

Rimmer's transformation at the end of The Beginning seemed far too quick and easy for my liking. While it worked well for the few minutes of episode-time remaining, let's have Rimmer struggle with this in Series XI. Let's have him deal with a (sort of) mid-life crisis when he ponders the realisation that he's lived a lie his entire life. Anything less and it would just feel as though some sort of character transplant has taken place.

Let's have the 'McGuffins' and developments be a little more logical. Having things like the Cat randomly know Rimmer was thinking about his father be the key element that brings about the episode's conclusion seems a little far-fetched and convenient to me.

A series arc would be nice. I don't want the series to beholden itself to maintaining an arc at the expense of quality individual episodes, but having little clues dotted about each episode that don't interfere too much (like having Lister regularly and unknowingly avoid falling into traps laid for him by pure fluke, only we can see who's setting them). These things are great because they provide that additional layer which keeps people speculating and discussing.

Try to involve the Cat more in the plots. He's a great character, but unfortunately he seems to get relegated to short visual gags and small amounts of exposition. Let's have the Cat be the main focus of at least one episode - he deserves it.

3. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Let's have Rimmer lose hard-light mode for a bit.

would be nice, since we didn't get a full closure-full end to series 8, drips and drabs fed, like a line here about why Ace came back to RD to be rimmer, could tie in with him now about to do it now his dad isn't his father...

More Feliz Sapiens, but not in such a silly way as identity within.

That wibbly Wobbly matter gun.

Hollister as a simulant :-D

the crew finally catch up with kochanski and a big chase that gets interfered with by the gelf wife.

... A whole series worth of plot ideas there :P

4. SgtSmileyUK

SgtSmileyUK Console Officer

5. ShrunkenPixel

I see what you did there :lol:

And I whole-heartedly agree.

6. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Waiting for a Cat-centric episode is like waiting for God.

Sorry.

But yeah I'd like a Cat episode. Let's have the crew find one of the settlements of the Cat race or something, and have Cat struggle with joining his people vs staying with Lister etc. Or have him find out that he is the last Cat alive like Lister is the last human. It could be a chance to flesh out the character some, because if anything he's degenerating into a caracature - at least on Starbug he had a role/purpose as a kick ass pilot.

Get Norman or Hattie back as Holly, some Skutters, Talkie Toaster.

Less overtly wacky moments and far less mugging/gurning. Play the characters straight, that's what made classic Dwarf work so well - they weren't 'wacky' and their behaviour made sense given the fiction in which they lived.

Guest characters who aren't overly cartoony/hammy. The likes of Queeg, Inquisitor and Legion were spot on - more of that genuine malice. The Beginning came close but was still a bit goofy compared to classic Dwarf's antagonists.

7. ShrunkenPixel

Brilliant idea :-)

Somewhere out there, there's a colony of cat-people that still awaits the day their holy lord Cloister comes down from the heavens to walk among them :lol:

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

If there is a series 11 id like to see a slightly more lonely universe and more lonely red dwarf, as this series just didn't have the crew of 4 or 5 alone on ship floating around deep space feeling as the crew didn't seem surprised by anything that turned up

and id like to see more tighter and polished scripts/storys from doug naylor

oh and little less of the dispensing machines, they are ok for little bits but overall im not fond of them being part of the storys

9. ShrunkenPixel

Yeah, well pointed out :-)

How come it's easier to write a vending-machine-centric episode than a Cat-centric one?

10. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

The the next series we need episode were Cloister the stupid, finds his Cat Race.
    Norman Back, More starbug and More ACE Rimmer.

11. mase2hot

mase2hot Skutter

I would like to see:

1) Dwayne dibbley to make a showing.
    2) Also ace rimmer.
    3) Skutters not cgi ones!
    4) Rimmer referring to space core directive only to be corrected by Kryten.
    5) Kryten's spare heads etc.
    6) Holly.

Get those into another series and I would be a happy bunny!

12. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

What he said

13. Pecospete666

Pecospete666 Catering Officer

1 hour show! Some Walking Dead Dwarfs! I'm serious about the 1 hr show!

14. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

I don't mind there being more characters...it could just be that they're passing through a region of space that's relatively populated...they are more or less constantly on the move, so it'd make sense every now and then they'll come across 'busy' parts of space before sailing on into more isolated areas.

For the next season (cos I'm sure we'll get it) I would like:

1. Ace Rimmer
    2. Skutters
    3. For Kryten to actually play a solid part in a plot
    4. To meet the cat people (It'd be a laugh if they were all slovenly like their god rather than the way Cat is)
    5. Holly (either Norman or Hattie)
    6. More info on Lister's engineering course (That must have been thrown in there for a reason), perhaps he could meet Spanners who is after all an engineer!

15. shizuo340

shizuo340 First Technician

Duane dibly
    Skitters
    Starbug cockpit
    Jim and bexly reference (both listers childeren and siblings)

16. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Hmm... I'd be up for Dwayne Dibbley making a re-appereance, but not just for it's own sake. I really loved the character's re-appearance in Emohawk, but didn't like the "Dibbley family" from Back In The Red very much. If it works within the episode's plot and is written well, then it'd be great to see Dwayne again! Doug would have to get it totally right though, as that is something that has as much potential to be totally awful as it has to be great.

As for Ace Rimmer... I think bringing him back may be redundant if the current Rimmer's story arc continues from the sub-plot introduced in "The Beginning". In that episode, we saw glimpses of Ace's qualities and character showing through in original/hologram Rimmer. In a way, I'd be more interested to see how that story arc pans out, than see Ace returning. It's a double edged sword though, and Doug has to play it really carefully. The "normal Rimmer" being more courageous and having leadership qualities has potential, but the danger with that, is that the essence of the character could be stripped away. I liked the revelation of Dennis the gardener being his real father, but Doug will need to be careful that in expanding the character (which I think he needs to happen now), that the essence of Rimmer isn't taken away in the process. If the script was right, I'd like to see Ace again, but at the moment, I'm more interested to see how "original" Rimmer's character evolves as a result of the revelation from the series X finale. :-)

Definitely would love to see the Skutters again, and I really miss the Space Corps directives, and how Kryetn always has to correct Rimmer's errors regarding them. They should definitely make a return, as well as Holly (I don't mind if it's Hattie or Norm) and Talkie Toaster too! An episode based around Cat/the Cat people would be great too.

I'd like to see Starbug again, but not at the expense of Blue Midget. I loved seeing BM again in "The Beginning", and really hope there is more Blue Midget scenes in series XI. :-)

Oh, and I totally agree with the post above by Talkie Toaster.

17. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Skitters?!?

& please do people seriously want the return of Duane "dibly"?!? It was funny once. . .only once. . .:roll:

18. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

Yeah the twins need a mention...thought it was odd they never got mentioned in Father and Suns.

It'd be great if Deb sends them through for some 'motherly guidance' cos they've gone off the rails. They could explain how they'd be able to be in our dimension because they're now adults and maybe it wouldn't affect their aging anymore. What age would they be now since they got to 18 in a matter of days? They'd be in their mid-thirties actually (didn't realise that!), meaning Bexley might have already died :S If they're that age, do you reckon Lister might be gran already? lol :-D

I suppose though the two dimensions could have time moving at different rates or something and they could make them younger.

19. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

That's one inbred bloodline Lister has.

His two sons are also his brothers, their father is also their mother, and he's his own dad. Rimmer and Cat weren't far off in Last Day when they were taking the mick out of his parents relationship haha. They should go on a Simulant version of Jeremy Kyle that would be funny.

Also isn't one of them dead by now? Bexley dies in his mid-twenties by being blown to bits in the drive room - remember? Have him as a hologram? That would be fun - Jim could be like Lister and Bexley could be just like Rimmer blaming his crap parents. Or Jim could be more like Spanners and Bexley could be like Ace which may inspire Lister and Rimmer to sort themselves out.

Craig Charles' younger brother could play both of them - aren't they about 5 years younger than Lister due to the rapid ageing?

I think I liked it when things like Medibot either didn't exist (like when Lister had to deliver twins at the hands of Skutters) or were offline and added to the isolation and survival aspect. Having all these automated (unfunny) systems makes the ship too entertaining for Lister - make it empty.

This is why I'd like 45minute - 1hour episodes. The potential is huge, always has been.

No more Dwayne Dibley or Ace unless it's for a ruddy good reason.

Also - bring back the ridiculous bazookoids and other mining equipment.

20. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Please no, Duane Dibbley (or references to) was painful in anything after Back to Reality. His appearance in Emohawk and the Dibbley family things were amongst the shows low points. I would rather the show did more then just crudely trade in on past glories.