Things you'd like to see in a future series

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by starlight84uk, Nov 10, 2012.

1. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

He needs to get anthother writer in, dont think he will get Grant, and a good director. Too much for one person, also for the next series Cloister should meet his long lost Cat race and have sex with them, Kill Duane dibbley really anoying, get ACE back somehow and Holly and MORE starbug.:x:eek:

2. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

I really hope Rob Grant will consider returning...it's been a long time since the writing partnership split up, and to use a cliche, time heals...If Norman Lovett can hint at a reconciliation with the Doug Naylor and the studio then anything's possible.

3. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Oh god, no! That would be beyond awful... just NO! A new episode about the cat race would be awesome though. I must be one of a tiny amount of Dwarfers who regard Waiting For God as one of the greatest ever Dwarf episodes. So another Cat episode is long overdue.

I've long said that I'd love for Rob Grant to come back, and as the above poster said, if Norman can hold out the olive branch, then anything's possible. It probably won't happen, but if Norm and Rob came back for the next series I'd be over the moon! In saying that however, with "The Beginning" Doug did show he could write a whole episode on his own that is amazing, and totally classic Dwarf. I do think episodes of that quality would be more frequent though, if he had his old partner in crime back.

4. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I often wonder if Rob and Doug still talk to each other. That's a strong friendship and it showed in the quality of their scripts. There was an understanding. Is it Rob, though, where the problem lies? He did leave Doug rather abruptly and left him to do an entire series. Or maybe it's both of them.

Oh, just kiss and make up!

5. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

It was mentioned in an earlier thread that Lister should lose his hard-light status for an episode, and have to rely on everyone else doing things for him (maybe that'd be an idea for a Skutter comeback?). With the right kind of situation this could be a decent character-based episode.

The Beginning has introduced the character of Hoagie (who really sounded to me like he was saying "you keesed my brother"). I don't think I like the sound of recurring characters on Red Dwarf, popping in from time to time with their wacky antics, and am unsure whether I'd like Hoagie to return even in, say, a single episode each series. Maybe bring him back for an episode in series 11 and, if he isn't liked much, do away with him ambiguously in 12 (so he can come back as a surprise a few series later).

6. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Ace while didn't grow stale in the way Duane Dibbley did I feel ran it's course, nothing more needs to be said there. I think Doug needs less a new writer but more to focus ONLY on writing. While his a food dramatic director his comedic direction leaves a little to be desired and it seemed like this series he spread himself too thin, this was more glaringly obvious in Dear Dave. I think Doug would work better if he had another director to lighten the burden of making the episodes.....Ed Bye knowing the ropes should make a comeback.

7. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Perhaps have some way of Kryten turning on the rest of the crew in a psychopathic rage. With his character it could be hilarious. I have visions now of him chasing the crew around the ship with an axe.

"Now hold still sirs, you will only feel a moment's discomfort."
    "No we won't!"
    "I'm quite certain that if I chop your head off sirs, you won't feel a thing. It's just like going to the dentist - you make such a fuss about it beforehand and afterwards never mention it again."

8. shizuo340

shizuo340 First Technician

Hey, don't any of you players be hate'n on the dibly.
    He's call 'duke' for a reason

9. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

1) Holly
    2) Dibbly and Ace
    3) Like to see a guest role from Tony Hawkes again.
    4) Polymorph
    5) Like to see a conclusion to Kochanski probably last episode or two.
    6) Like to see more traveling like older series and Lemon's.
    7) Like to see more monsters like old series.

10. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

I'd love another musical number...possibly through a dream again or something.

What about a musical episode where the dream recorder malfunctions and they all get stuck in the Cat's dreams?

11. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I would find that getting old fast personally

12. lidders2k

lidders2k Second Technician

I'd like to see more urgency about getting back home, like they were urgent to get back to the dwarf in series VI. Maybe that map that Hogey showed them could underpin it nicely. Look at how good legion was.....the whole time they were determined to get moving again in persuit of the dwarf.

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Doug needs to ease off talking about the past alot also, like rimmer having a slight obsession with bringin up lister being a 3rd technician which he did quite alot and it seemed forced because the show has already evolved from that several series ago

that and as others have said doug should get another director and just stick to writing or even get someone else in to help with the script as the storys this series seemed all over the place and like maybe dougs story telling isn't quite up to being as good as it used to be in the 90s

14. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Why did Lister kiss Hoagie's brother though? dont get it.:?

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

it was a joke aimed at hoagies accent, he was saying you killed my brother

and even then it was mean't as part of role play as part of the game and not something that actually happened

16. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

- Holly

- Scutters

- A few more "monster of the week" episodes

Other than that, I'd just like series XI to continue along the lines of the most triumphant series X.

Oh and I would like Doug to be given a bigger budget/and more episodes per series. And no specific time limits for episodes. So for example, Doug may decide he wanted one ep to last 30 mins, the next weeks ep to be 1 hour long, the following week 45 mins, etc, etc.

TV land is way to structured (in a rote, over-the-top, Rimmeresque way) for my liking! :P

Not that I expect that to ever happen, but even so.. :lol:

17. shizuo340

a figi mention

18. shizuo340

a figi mention

19. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Lister still could have kissed Hogey's brother.

To death.

Lister isn't exactly known for being the most hygenic of people...

20. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol i would like to see more of kryten with out his guilt chip
    "just call me badassssssss" :-D