Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by starlight84uk, Nov 10, 2012.
In my opinion, this is what we should get from the next series:
1. A main story arc lasting entire series (like the prison story from VII - VIII, a new era in the Dwarf story if you will)
2. One appearance of Ace Rimmer (maybe not the Ace that used to be Rimmer, but maybe the current Rimmer gets attacked by a Polymorph again like before)
3. A hint at Dwayne Dibley and maybe an appearance, like say the Cat has nightmares about becoming him again and an episode can be based around him running away from Red Dwarf, to be eventually saved by someone that survived from the Cat race
4. Skutters, they were awesome, not the CGI ones though, they were annoying, it has to be the old style remote control ones, or no skutters at all, Id rather have no skutters than CGI skutters
5. Live audience, the audience being there was one of the main things that made series X work in the classic way the old Red Dwarf did, definitely keep the live audience thing going, Back To Earth was a shambles, I still like BTE just because its Red Dwarf, but lets face it, it was rubbish, I think a majority of people would agree that BTE, series IX, whatever people want to call it now, is most definitely the worst point of red Dwarf
6. A return of both kochanski's, back when the crew were ressurected, there should have been 2 Kochanski's on that ship, 1 was the one we knew at the time from the alternate dimension that got stranded in ours, and the other should have been ressurected with the original crew, as Kochanski died with the original crew, this could be a great opportunity to get both actresses back as Kochanski, I preferred the original actress, but having them both in one episode would be awesome!
7. Holly, either one of them, or even as some people on this forum have suggested, Bill Bailey, I reckon he would make a good Holly
1 - maybe. I wasn't keen on the whole prison thing, but I definitely liked the ongoing Starbug and chase for Red Dwarf storyline from 6 and 7.
2 & 3 - I think those characters have been, maybe not done to death, but spoilt. If they were to appear again, I think a lot of people would see them as an "easy out" and laziness.
4 - Skutters. Hell yeah. Pinky and Smegging Perky return!
5 - yeah, RDX has proven that the live audience needs to stay. I think one of the main reasons there wasn't one in BTE was due to budget. 7 didn't have a live audience (I think) but did have an audience watching the taping.
6 - Kochanski is a split subject. Personally I like the crew as they are and don't want anything to come along and spoil the chemistry.
7 - Holly. Whilst everyone has fond memories of the character, in both incarnations, I don't think he/she is needed any more. Kryten has stepped in to fill that role, and I think Holly now would have just as much dialogue as in series 8 - practically none.
All very good points, although I didnt mean bring back the prisoners, just a series long story like the prison story was, it doesnt have to do with anything to do with the prison story from before, just a long story starting in episode 1 and ending in episode 6 or 8
Also i kind of agree with the Ace and Dibley characters, although they are massive fan favourites and I think it woud be good to get one episode with the both of them in, and the Kochanski thing, I completely agree with you, I didnt like her as a main cast member, but Im saying maybe we should have 1 episode where both kochanskis turn up, suddenly Lister has 2 Kochanskis to fight for after looking for one, and that would only be one episode, culminating in them both leaving or one leaving and the other dying or something, same with the Holly thing, one episode is needed I feel with him/her in
Kochanski back or at least another female crew member if Chloe is not interested.
As a regular? Are you serious?
I'd like her to cameo but not become a regular again...
Cat watching a nightmare on the dream recorder of him as Duane Dibley would be pretty funny as a gag but I'd leave it at that.
As far as alter-egos go, I'd be more interested in seeing Lister finally meet Spanners Lister.
Definitely, and it'd tie in nicely with Lister's engineering/robotics course
I know some people are a bit 'eh?' about Lister deciding to do a course, but Spanners and various other things have shown that he (rather amazingly) seems to have an aptitude for stuff like that, and I'd like to see that explored more in XI.
Lister could still be the same idiotic slob we've always known, but with a few extra skills
Lister doing robotics was a nice call-back to him rebuilding Kryten, too, I thought.
And his ability to fix his robot goldfish .
It was a missed opportunity when he lost his arm. They could have given Lister a chance to overcome his disability and rebuild an arm for himself which would have tied Future Echoes in with his actual character. Shame it was just thrown out for the nano story. Would have been cool to see Lister use his brains and find himself through something terrible like that.
Ah, what could have been.