This & That - The Derail Thread

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by BigOleDummy, Oct 20, 2017.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    This is something that we as a forum will have to apply ourselves to for it to work and it may not even then. But worth a shot I suppose.
    Anyway, sometimes in the course of replying to a thread we get off on a tangent and derail the original posters thread. Most times its very short and inconsequential but other times it just completely takes over the thread and that's not really fair. So I'm thinking we could use THIS thread when we notice we are going too far off topic. You know....... switch the narrative to this thread to preserve the originals gist.
    Example, me and @squeal mold have one like that right now. So what I'm going to do is post my answer to his last post HERE, and try to let the original thread go back to its stated purpose. We will all have to pitch in for this to work so lets see how it goes.

FeeBee likes this.
  2. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Good idea, I have a post also from Neil Old that I need to reply to but haven't because it would've derailed the thread to much. Was intending to PM him or start a new thread but kept forgetting. Will do that tomorrow when I'm more awake if I remember.

BigOleDummy likes this.
  3. BigOleDummy

@squeal mold said :
    "cards, yes if there's one thing you bunco loving carnies are known for honesty in, its cards, find the lady perchance? "

Actually, three card monty was a street game that found its way to the midways of the CIRCUS'S before there was even carnivals, and in America at least, you will never see one on a midway. Ever. On the other hand....... you CAN still find, if you really look hard enough, one of these:
    [​IMG]
    Which I can "teach" you how to do, but you will NEVER get it the 10 times it takes to "win". :eek::-);-)

4. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

Bloody con artists

5. BigOleDummy

What did W.C. Fields say......? "You can't cheat an honest man" I think the gist of it went, and its true. The only way to get sucked into a game of this type is if you think you can "beat" me at my own game. And GREED. Always remember that anything that sounds too good to be true, probably isn't.

6. neilold

Doesn't make a difference to my original statement!

7. BigOleDummy

For your information, its really freaking hard to find a dishonest game on an American carnival. And has been for years! Some are very hard, yes but winnable if you LISTEN to the
    , as you say. I was in the business for 35 years and can count the number of dishonest games (and the shows that permit them) on one hand. You have to be below the Mason-Dixon line to even have a chance of seeing one, as the more civilized States have ENFORCED laws about things like that.

8. neilold

And so they should to!

9. BigOleDummy

Yep, I agree 100%.
    But its still possible to put up flat stores (crooked games) in most States of the south, excluding Florida. But even in the States where its technically possible, the VAST majority don't anyway. Just not good for business. I worked flats for a very short period of time, but my conscious wouldn't let me continue. Its kinda, sorta ..... a "rite of passage" when you work games as flats have a reputation (in the business) for being....... like the Top Dog. You have to be GOOD to be "educated". Which means taught how to run one. Took me 5 years to even break into the alibi's and another 3 to get my first education in the flats.
    I'm pretty much ashamed to have ever worked one and like I say, it was for a very short time...... maybe 3/4's of a season. 99.999% of the games here are totally legit, believe it or not. Please don't call me a thief anymore.

10. neilold

I was only teasing, I know your not really a thief Is that game you showed the skittle one where you move the board slightly si you can't hit it? There was a British show you won't know, called the secret cabaret. It was cool as f, every week Ricky jay, who you will know, came on as a guest. He'd do his card wizardry but also show you all the old bunco games and how they worked . I remember the three circles covering the big circle one, which musta taken years to learn, the blunt darts pop the balloon one, the ticket tricks, and the others. I was fascinated. You should deffo watch the series. It's on youtube. Also on it was Simon drake, who's the coolest brit magician ever

BigOleDummy likes this.
  11. neilold

Type into Google 'Simon drake guillotine trick' and you'll see why I think he's awesome. The trick is simple, but it's the way he presents it. The floating hand one is also really cool

BigOleDummy likes this.
  12. BigOleDummy

I saw your post in the apology thread just after I posted here last. I must admit to being a little defensive about being a carnie for so long. We live on the fringe of society and have the same general "reputation" here as we do there I suppose.
    No I haven't seen that show but will check it out. But FYI, there's no shenanigans with tickets anymore, its all centrally located and computerized. Even with the smaller shows.
    The "Spot" store as its called here uses 5 disks to cover the big red circle/dot and yes I can do it. Took me about a week of 10 to 16 hours days to learn but its doable, no matter what is said about it. Blunt darts are just........ silly because in almost all dart games (which I "featured" for many years) we WANT you to pop a balloon. You make your money by getting the mark to keep playing and trading up the smaller prize for a bigger one. Conversely, when you throw a dart and it DOESN'T stick in the accuracy games you get to throw it again, so the "blunt dart" ""trick"" is about as outdated and untrue as the ticket scams from the 40's. That's the trouble with most shows like that, they either perpetuate old forgotten scams or are just ..... fodder for thinking they can teach you how terrible we as carnies can be.
    I was playing the Wisconsin State Fair once and in my motel watched 60 minutes (news magazine type show) do an expose on carnival games. They repeated the canard about the blunt darts and went on to praise, literally praise a WORKING (i.e. alibi) Tub joint!!!!!!!!! We laughed so freaking hard it was insane.

13. neilold

Oh of course, I'm sure there's thousands of carny games. There was a lot more on the show,i just can't remember them. There was also a magician called Paul Daniels, who had a magic show, with a section in it called 'the bunco booth' that also had similar theme of hand and card ctricks stuff in it. I used to watch the show just for that section

BigOleDummy likes this.
  14. BigOleDummy

I too like watching those type of shows. Both from a professional point of view and for entertainment. Love the magicians! I'll definitely check out that Simon Drake guy and the Paul Daniels too. Thanks for the pointer.

15. neilold

The secret cabaret is way better than Paul Daniels, who'll probably seem very quaint to you

16. BigOleDummy

A variant I suppose. You move the object you're aiming at by a hair. Its high school physics to know its a scam. But people get greedy and think they are smarter than the operator, who's JUST a carnie you know, and dump in the money. My biggest "score" was working an ABC balloon game and took 3 guys for a little $3,600 apiece. Kept telling them to stop. Really I did, " are you sure you're not over-extending yourself"? But they knew better than me............. I took the next week off and laid on the beach in the sun laughing at them.

17. neilold

I can't believe anyone would think they could beat a carny!

BigOleDummy likes this.
  18. BigOleDummy

Well, you know we're all drug crazed, no toothed, child molesting drunks who dropped out of 3rd grade and can't hold a "real" job you see. :-D:-S:-S:-S
    I once had a guy ask me what was in my computer bag because "I KNOW there's not a computer in there", like I was too stupid to know how to handle one of these magic boxes. I had another lady at a convenience store say to me "at least you're not one of those dirty carnies, I hate them" as I was checking out. I made SURE I set my I.D. on the counter for her to see as I got my wallet out. (I rarely wore my show shirt off the lot) She didn't say another word to me ...... imagine that :-S:-D!

19. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

20. neilold

we are! I don't get the logic of it though. It's like saying to yourself 'I know i'll prove I'm the best tennis player in the world, by challenging the best player in the world, then expecting to win! One thing that I do ponder. That spot game, what happens is the carny messes up? although he knows it, you can't just simply be perfect every time. Just like like no sports player is invincible? Also does the carny himself ever end up being hustled, or losing? Of course, I imagine it happens very rarely, but does it happen, and what happens if a carny (unbeknownst to you) comes along and tries to beat you at a game he knows just as well inside out?

BigOleDummy likes this.