Those bits in Red Dwarf you just don't get...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by codename_47, Dec 2, 2011.

1. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

So here it is, a newbie starting a new thread. Ack.
    Be kind everyone.

On my lengthy journey to and from work I listen to the Frank Skinner podcast (stay with me on this one!)
    On his show Frank Talks about "idiotic eureka moments", which is when you suddenly realise something the entire world already knows.
    The examples have ranged from listeners not realised "Sooty and Sweep" were chimney sweep based puns and HP sauce being named for the Houses of Parliment (even with the little picture of them on the bottle!)

Well I'm hoping this thread can be like that, but for Red Dwarf.
    I'm new here so I'm hoping I can get away with asking questions about the jokes I don't get without completely being ripped to shreads, but who knows how it'll go down eh.
    I invite everyone to share their examples to, like a lot of people I grew up with red dwarf and it took a long time before the more adult references made sense to me, but I'm hoping that this thread won't go down that road jusssttt yet!

Anyway: my examples.

In Series 2 when Lister tells the Cat how many times Rimmer has had sex I'm still not sure if the Cat's reaction of "THAT MANY!?" is supposed to be a sarcastic "OMG, that's it?" type of exclamation or a "OMG? You mean Rimmer has actually HAD sex once?" type of genuine reaction!
    Maybe the beauty of it is it works both ways, but in my head I just wish it was clearer.

I STILL don't know why Quail gets a laugh when Kryten lists some famous scientists who formerly made up Legion.
    Is it that the first two are real and Quail is a made up future scientist? I guess I just don't know enough about science, real or fictional! :-p

I still don't know if Bony Butts our move lets was written that way or Craig messed up the line.
    Lets move our Butts Bony doesn't work when you reverse the sentence.

I still don't understand why being reverted to a childhood version of yourself makes you look like a Vimto?

I think that's enough for one sitting. Waffled on long enough and I've not understood enough to make me appear as intelligent as a series 6 Red Dwarf writer trying to come up with new material for Holly. (*still bitter*)
    So like them I'm going to give up now.

Please, join me in sharing your Red Dwarf moments that just go over your head!

2. carparkattendant

carparkattendant Third Technician

I think that the Quayle reference in Legion is referring to Dan Quale who I believe is a notoriously stupid Republican vice president from the George Bush Senior presidency. That probably explains why that got a laugh!

My IEM's (I'm a Frank Skinner listener as well. I like to keep up with the movements of BFM) from Red Dwarf mainly concern mis heard lines. Lister's 'Answer him' in Back To Reality I heard as 'I'm saying' for years. I'm sure some others will occur to me!

I'm sure that Cat's 'that many??!!' line should be interpreted as 'someone let him have sex with them??!!' but maybe other people have interpreted it differently as well.

3. carparkattendant

I think the very young Kochanski just fancied a drink of vimto the popular berry flavour fizzy drink at that particular moment!

4. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

1. "THAT MANY" I always thought of that as a sarcastic reply. But also considered that at that stage in the series I don't think the Cat had EVER had sex anyway.

2. "QUAIL", I always thought of it as being funny for never having heard of a scientist called quail and yes for the Dan Quail connection of stupidity.

3. "Bony Butts our move lets" Definately written that way, AS they had just realised they were in a backward world and everything was written backwards, then it's a good line. A bit like saying "When in Rome"

4. VIMTO, For me that was just the panto style of that series, I didn't take much notice of that.

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, the young Kochanski says, "Why do I suddenly feel like a Vimto?", meaning "Why do I suddenly want to drink a Vimto?". It's a popular drink among children (I used to love it as a kid) and so because Kochanski is now a child she suddenly wants one.

As for Cat's "That many?" line, I always assumed he was showing surprise that Rimmer had only had sex once.

6. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The full list of names given in Legion is Heidegger, Quayle, Holder and Davro.

I've always thought/assumed that while Heidegger was a reference to the philosopher, Quayle was Dan Quayle, Holder was Noddy Holder, and Davro was Bobby Davro.

The gag, then, comes from the fact that although Hiedegger was obviously known as a great philosophical mind (despite being, er, a Nazi sympathiser), the other three were... somewhat less so.

7. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

The confusion with 'Bony butts our move lets' seems to stem from the fact 'bony butts' is forwards. I reckon this is intentional. Lister is imitating backwards speech, but isn't forced to speak that way like the probe. Saying 'butts bony our move lets' would have been more confusing for the audience, but the gag is the same either way.

8. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I think the cat is suprised that Rimmer has ever had sex at all. Thats the way I saw it anyway.

Young Kochanski felt like a Vimto because she had become a child and kids love Vimto.

I don't know about the other two things. Maybe boney butts was meant to be one word :? so butts boney wouldnt have worked.

9. Cruel Slayer

Also possible. 'Bony-butts' rather than 'bony butts'. Either way, even though I know it's not technically right when I watch that episode, I'm also aware it sounds better the way they did it.

10. supercat

supercat Console Officer

The 'That many!?' is obviously suggesting that The Cat was expecting him to say ZERO! You can tell by the way he phrases it really. Otherwise he would have said "Is that all?" or "That's it?".

11. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

I absolutetly agree with Supercat here.

12. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Score! *high fives*

13. carparkattendant

I only just got why the cat would need to carry flags for a game of Soap Sud Salem. Or at least I think I do - has it got something to do with skiing down the cargo ramp? Only took me 21 years...

This thread makes me appreciate the 'vimto' line - it's a good line!

14. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Can't believe how stupid I was about the Vimto line...
    For some reason my mind was reading her saying it as if "why do I suddenly feel as if I AM a Vimto" not "Why do I suddenly feel like a can of pop to drink?"
    Ugh, how embarrassing! :-p

The more I think about "THAT MANY!" the more I think Cat is jealous and surprised because somehow Rimmer has had sex and he, with all his ego, hasn't.

Sometimes your can feel stupid when you don't quite "get" whatever everyone else does.
    But then I feel better thinking about the old dude who played the blind priest in waiting for god.
    HE didn't even know what Slobbyness was! :P

Anyway, enough of my stupidities now, can someone else PLEASE take the heat off me and post some of their own? :lol:

15. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Don't worry. I confess, I interpreted it that way too... then was confused as to why a little girl would think she looked like a drink.

16. Cruel Slayer

I'm watching 'Dimension Jump' at the moment. They've crashed, and Holly is asked whether there is anything they can do. She says, 'Well, we could try to hire a dance band and get them to play Abide With Me.' Is there any significance to this apart from it just indicating there's nothing useful they can do? Is it a situation in which having a dance band playing Abide With Me would be appropriate or normal?

17. adelesilva

adelesilva Skutter

It's a reference to the Titanic. The ship's band allegedly played Abide with Me as the ship sank.

18. Cruel Slayer

Aaaah, that makes sense. Thanks for that!:-D

19. Cruel Slayer

Here's another.:-) Been watching 'Quarantine'. I've never given it a thought before, but where does 'hex vision' come from and why is it called 'hex vision'?

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

A nice little coincidence: I was watching Quarantine last night for the first time in years.

It's a great episode, and very funny.