Those bits in Red Dwarf you just don't get...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by codename_47, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

When did Lister do this?

2. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lister did this in tikka to ride the full version
    the end bit that was cut out
    in the commentary the guys cant even remember doing it
    then craig remembers because the curry was really hot and burnt him :P
    im trying to find a clip of it ... i thought i found the clip of it but him eating the curry from the tissue wasn't there
    dodge find it :P

3. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

watch tikka to ride xtended and go to JUSTTTT before the end credits :P

BTW, on the dvd there is extended and xtended remastered, what's the differences? Everything looks exactly the same to me

4. Reznor

Reznor Guest

hmm it does not show the curry eating on the youtube ones maybe the extended and extended remastered are differnt? :P
    its on the dvd with the commentarys on though go check :-D

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I took it to be a poo gag. As in, the dead crew member fell through him and Rimmer, um, had an accident. (As in, shirt tails being a substitute for toilet paper. Ugh, what an awful image...)

That scene was also in the novel Last Human where an explanation is given for that. Basically, the stasis field on Starbug does not freeze time completely like it does in the stasis booths on Red Dwarf. So it allows hair and nails to grow.

I took it that Hologram Suite in Future Dwarf was projecting him via the light-bee through the stasis leak portal. Although the fact past Holly didn't notice him is a good point. Maybe the future and past selves were in communication via the leak...

6. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

A thought about Rimmer's departure to become Ace and perhaps an answer to which Rimmer we have in series X (because it's still not 100% clear ;-) )

After Rimmer left to become Ace surely he's still being generated by RD even if RD is in nano form at that point...

So when the nanobots rebuilt the crimson rouge one, did the egghead Holly notice a hologram still being generated, wonder why that is and then turn off the program because they already had an Arnold Rimmer amongst the crew, alive and well.
    Depending on if the ship came back before or after he died, perhaps the hologram suite was needed for George?

So Rimmer might have been dashing around being brave, yet suddenly disappeared at some point?

Thinking about it, it's a bit odd there are no holograms at all in series 8 really....

7. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Yeah Series 8 baffles me.

George McIntyre not there, or Petersen or Todhunter made the "crew are back" concept a very frustrating experience. I remember when Series 7 concluded and feeling so much hope, and then hearring series 8 would be bring back the crew! That was exciting, since the scenes of the crew seen in the likes of Stasis Leak were so well done. Potentially a great idea, but none of the crew they focussed on besides Hollister were recognisable Red Dwarf members, and even Hollister wasn't much like his Series 1-2 character. Every moment they spent in the prison felt like the show was treading water, and in Rimmer's case a total step backwards. Seeing them all homogenised and generic in pink boiler suits was just sad.

Not only that but I still don't understand why Lister's Kochanski wasn't resurrected but a duplicate copy of Holly was - since Kochanski was among the dead along with Rimmer (I know the nano's probably read that she was on Starbug, but since they took everything so literally they would have surely resurrected her).

The Inquisitor would erase Series 8 from history on the grounds that it could have been so much more, and I would stand there nodding in agreement (just before he erased me for wasting my time on internet forums).

I guess I just don't 'get' Series 8.

8. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Yeah, never got that. It duplicated Holly, why aren't their copies of Lister, Kochanski, and Frankenstein on board?

9. shizuo340

shizuo340 First Technician

To be fair series 8 dose have its moments. Such as the "all crossing legs at the same time" gag. Longest laugh ever on red dwarf. Also after only the good it's possible that the nanobots did come back and fix red dwarf under the orders "no live crew members" from the 4 crew members (runners dead) only b4 the can stop them they bring back a hardlight rimmer and bugger off. Either that or dimmer escapes in a garbage pod and gets himself killed later

10. Reznor

Reznor Guest

do napkins in red dwarf taste like poppadoms? :-D

11. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It wasn't Krytens original nanobots who brought the crew back. (They just recreated the ship.) It was another set created by Holly as part of his effort to keep Lister sane. This was mentioned in the episode.

Since Holly knew they had a Lister and Kochanski already, he wouldn't have programmed them to bring back Kochanski, and Lister never died in the radiation leak to begin with! (I assume the crew were recreated from the albino mouse droppings, although I thought they were flushed out into space long ago. I guess it may only take a few cells as a template for a full human though if a form of cloning was involved.)

12. tidus13

tidus13 Third Technician

In Justice when they're trying to decide what to do with the pod and cat says 'if its one of these badass android dudes, let it eat laser' and Rimmer says 'lets blast it back out into space'

Why don't they put it in the airlock and wait for it to open? If it's Bellini let her in the ship, if it's the sim eject it into space.

Obviously this would have made the main plot line redundant but is there a reason they didn't do this except for not thinking of it? Surely at least Kryten would have thought of this.

13. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I guess because there's no guarantee that the simulant would get sucked into space or that it would be killed in the process, then he's in a position to possibly rip his way in through the hull or airlock.

14. tidus13

tidus13 Third Technician

I don't know, I think it would definitely suck it out.

15. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Simulants are supposed to be strong enough to rip a human head off and tough enough to survive a volley of bazookoid fire at close range, all he would need is one grip or handhold for a second or two whilst the relatively small volume of air in the airlock was expelled and he'd be fine. If Ripley can climb out of an open airlock against the full airflow in Aliens, I'm sure a Simulant could manage it in Red Dwarf. They also could not discount the possibility that he was carrying a weapon in the pod, which seems to have actually been the case.

Whilst they are described as "Bio-mechanical killers" and The Beginning shows that some models at least have some internal organs, there's no indication how long they can survive in a vacuum or if they even need air to survive at all. Even in the worst case for the Simulant, it certainly seems like one would be vindictive enough to try shooting out the airlock in his final seconds in order to kill the crew even if it would do nothing to improve his own chances of survival.

16. tidus13

tidus13 Third Technician

Yeah I suppose,

How would you have dealt with the pod?

17. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Ideally I would have dumped the entire pod either on a secure derelict or an atmosphere bearing planet or moon where it could be observed from a safe distance and if it turned out to be the Simulant just leave it, if Bellini then she could be rescued. I'm guessing that this wasn't an option and I'd assume that this is because there was nothing suitable in range.

So as the pod has the co-ordinates of the prison colony and if I could get there quick enough then I'd head over there and hope that the mainframe was still functioning and that it still had facilities to contain the Simulant if that's what turned out to be in the pod... ;-)

18. tidus13

tidus13 Third Technician

They just totally forget about the pod as soon as rimmer gets imprisoned and just leave it on starbug to hatch, lol bit dodgy.:-)

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Actually, I can believe that happening! At work I've often been doing a certain job then get sidetracked into another task, and completely forget about the first until later.

Mind you, that's probably a bad example as the first task doesn't usually involve danger from biomechanical killing machines. Or any real danger apart from missing a deadline or being confronted by a stroppy student.

20. ebbajo93

ebbajo93 Skutter

What bright side? I'm dead, I'm composed entirely of light, and I'm alone in space with a man who'd lose a battle of wits with a stuffed iguana. Where's the bright side?

london heathrow taxi