Those bits in Red Dwarf you just don't get...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by codename_47, Dec 2, 2011.

1. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Apparently that taxi company HATES customers.

In any case, Justice. Yes, the sane thing to do would have been to take the pod to the Justice World (as they did) and stick it in the Justice Field for it to open. Which, I'm pretty sure, is what the crew intended to do.

Then the bloody shoes came along and whisked them off, Rimmer got tried and sentenced and the crew forgot about the pod. They could have asked the Justice computer to take it off their hands after Rimmer was carted off and THEN deal with his trial, but instead completely forgot.

Which, I guess, could happen. It is Red Dwarf, after all.

2. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

This is really minor but I don't get why certain non-events are remembered. For instance Rimmer in Legion mentions The Inquisitor wanting to erase them from history altogether, and in Demons And Angels Lister recalls playing pool with planets.

Neither of those episodes should be memories for the crew since both The Inquisitor and the White Hole were erased from time, so they both never existed and the crew should have no memory of any of it.

Oh well, trivial I know, thought I'd bring it up. Guess like Dr Who it could be down to wibbly-wobbly timely-wimey :-)

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think maybe the (often disliked) Series VI resolution (as described by Lister at the start of Tikka to Ride) might cover that... :-D

4. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I can't imagine how the series VI resolution would do it. The events of White Hole never took place - the paradox *shouldn't* have brought it back up. White Hole being mentioned again is, to be honest, a bit of a plot-hole I think.

The Inquisitor is a slightly different matter, but shouldn't be. Lister and Kryten both remember the events, but shouldn't - the Inquisitor said that all his work was being undone, but surely that should involve a huge time-destroying paradox: Lister, by undoing all the Inquisitor's work, also undoes the fact that Lister and the Inquisitor met, which undoes the fact that Lister undoes the Inquisitor's work, which means that the Inquisitor continues unhindered, meaning Lister and the Inquisitor meet, meaning... and so on.

Unless the Inquisitor's gauntlet was set to shield Lister, Kryten (to an extent) and the Inquisitor himself (to an extent) from the time/space shenanigans (Lister continued, Kryten was "reset" in the timeline but retained his memories, Inquisitor's personal timeline continued but he was erased from that point, but everyone else - including his victims - were "reset").

5. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

:?

And that, my friends, is why it's best not to mess with timelines :lol:

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

This is an RDX one, so I'm going to try to keep the details to a minimum in line with the spoiler policy.

In "Lemons", why didn't they just find an apple tree?

7. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Can apples really be substituted for lemons in this instance?

8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Yes, they can. In fact they'd have passed plenty of alternatives along the way that they could have used as substitutes and would have cut their journey distance down substantially, AFAIK pretty much any fruit or vegetable (or their juice) which is acidic could be used to make a crude battery and there are plenty enough native to the British isles that they wouldn't have had to even leave Albion.

That's all assuming that both Kryten and Rimmer's internal batteries provided the wrong voltage, current or type of electricity for the battery or that both were unwilling to allow theirs to be used.

To be fair, it's only one plothole in an episode littered with them though...

9. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Indeed they can. As Simon pointed out there are various ways to create a battery using this simple method. Whether we use oranges, Limes, grapefruit, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, bananas (even the peels alone can create a voltage) or other fruits and veggies.

Citrus fruits work especially well as they're often more acidic and deliver more watts in both parallel and series circuits. Potatoes are very effective too. I run the digital clock in my kitchen this way. Initially it was part of a fun 'lemon clock' science experiment which I did with my eldest niece a few years ago, but I thought it was pretty cool so kept using it. :-)

I now run my bedside alarm clock in the same way, and indeed this is all done for free, as my mother grows lemons in Spain and I grow my own vegetables, some of which now cost me nothing and are indefinitely self-sustaining (With a little work from me of course).

'Commercial batteries', you say?

*Puts on a Doc Brown voice*

Where we're going we don't need commercial batteries. ;-)

In all seriousness though, while we may not be able (know how) to create a great deal of power from such batteries at this time, the future of this method holds great potential. While this is now quite an old discovery, it was only as recent as 2010 that a research and development company discovered that if you boil the potatoes before hand, their electrical capacity increases tenfold...the possibilities this brings into question is really quite exciting and has especially great potential for those in the poor and exploited countries of our world at this stage.

“The ability to provide electrical power with such simple and natural means could benefit millions of people in the developing word, literally bringing light and telecommunication to their life in areas currently lacking electrical infrastructure." ~ Yaacov Michlin, CEO of Yissum

Clicky Link

Fact is if we were to manage our resources intelligently and strategically we would find there are hundreds if not thousands of ways we could make this world a better place, whilst taking much better care of each other and the environment.

For example we could very easily half our carbon emissions today by using the electricity grid in a logical, responsible scientific manner (and on a global scale)

But I think deep down we all know why 'we' don't. And in all so many cases it has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of technical ability or lack of human ingenuity, and everything to do with the policies and silly rules of which are inherently bound within this massively outdated anti-economic, needlessly competitive, endless "growth", business/price-based system.

*tries not to burst into full-on essay mode* ...oops, perhaps it's a little late for that, eh? ;-)

10. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

How long does a spud last? And do they make nice chips afterwards? ;-)

11. Freeborn

It depends on various factors such as room temperature (mine last longer in the kitchen at this time of year), how much Zinc you're using, how many potatos you use, whether they're boiled or not and the quality/lifespan of the potatoes themselves. Put simply a 'basic' fruit or veggie battery can last anywhere between a few measly hours to a few months when using the best methods, in the right conditions and with a decent set up.

Mine last...um, actually I've never gone so far to keep a record of how long the potato version lasts, I should do so really. I guess I have less concept of this thing we call time - but to use a technical term "quite a while". ;-)

When using Lemons however it tends to last for a much shorter period of time, anywhere from a few hours to a week or so, again depending on many variable factors. On a larger scale and a better and more controlled system it could last longer.

In actuality I don't always keep the two clocks running in this way, as I don't have the space or the means to bring about an endless supply of fruit and veggies (although as mentioned some of them, such as garlic are now self-sustaining), but I'm lucky in that I get given quite a lot in addition to those I grow myself. The bedroom clock is currently running on it's mini solar panel (taken from an old garden ornament), but I'll re-engage the 'tater clock soon, as even though I prefer to eat my potatoes, running the clock in this way can be fun...and it seems to impress people more the solar method too ;-) I'll take note of how long my 'taters last next time too.

And no you can't eat the potatoes after using them in this way as Zinc and copper salts tend to be deposited in the potato from the metal electrodes, so essentially you'd be digesting metal Ions...which may be fine for Mechanoids but potentially dangerous for us humans.

The used 'taters might still make for good Mr.Potato head's for a while after though. ;-)

They also work well when recycled in compost of course. Along with having various other uses too.

Edit: Corrected an unfortunate typo, as pointed out below.

12. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Just a couple of small points, it's Ions not irons ;-) and it's worth pointing out that salt in culinary terms and salt in chemical terms don't necessarily mean the same thing. Culinary salt in its purest form is Sodium Chloride (Marine salt is in theory the same thing but in reality you can't substitute Marine salt for table salt), but it's far from the only salt and as Freeborn Leveller's said some can be toxic to humans. Chemically, Sodium Chloride is a salt, but Salt doesn't necessarily mean Sodium Chloride.

13. Freeborn

Ah yes, yet another unintentionally satirical typo by myself there :eek:ops: - hmm, eating "irons", now that would just be weird. Again unless one happened to be a Mechanoid or rogue Droid perhaps. ;-)

Speaking of typos and spelling mishtakes, I just remembered that I forgot to correct my referring to Philip Labey as "Phillip Labley" (twice!) in another thread...D'oh!

*I'll correct this specific typo now though*.

Edit: Oh and yeah it was certainly worth pointing out the differences between salts as you did too. :-)

14. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Here's something I don't get.

Epideme. Why didn't they just stick Lister into Stasis instead of hacking off his arm? They use Stasis in that two-parter to travel back to the ocean moon. I've always wondered why they didn't just freeze Lister, thus quarantining him.

The stasis booths were probably installed on ships for quarantine/travel purposes anyway. Just seems implausible that the ships know-it-alls like Kochanski or Kryten wouldn't immediately think of it out of standard procedure, much safer than letting an automated toilet attendant perform drastic surgery.

15. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

In the books the original reason for the Stasis Booths was for interstellar travel (Red Dwarf being one of the relatively few Sci-Fi universes without faster than light travel), this is hinted at in The End when Todhunter asks Lister "Haven't you ever travelled interstellar?" as he's being lead to Stasis. They were retained on those ships which had them mainly for punishment purposes.

As I understand though Starbug didn't actually have Stasis Booths but had Deep Sleep units, although admittedly Kryten did mention being able to install a temporary stasis seal over them in Out of Time.

But, yeah, even if Kryten couldn't do so this time round it would at least buy them a bit more time, unless the progress of the Epideme virus was unaffected by Deep Sleep. There is another possibility though, maybe the Deep Sleep units had broken down and weren't working, which would also explain why neither Kryten nor Kochanski mention them, they're just not an option.

16. LastTimeLord

LastTimeLord Supply Officer

Does Rimmer no longer need sleep? As in the opening scene of The Beginning, Rimmer is in the drive room while everyone else is asleep.

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

He probably just decided to stay up late.

18. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

He can't sleep without playing with his light bee.

19. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Holograms are computer simulations of people, they're programmed to simulate real live people, so they sleep, eat, drink and even can get drunk (Or at least simulate being drunk and even suffer hangovers as a result). They do still have a degree of choice in their actions, as demonstrated as far back as in Me2 when the two Rimmers had an argument over how little sleep they needed to have.

As has already been said, Rimmer was probably just having a late night.

20. LastTimeLord

LastTimeLord Supply Officer

That's a very good explanation Simon.

Why is Lister's bunk the only one we see in use in X? Why is Rimmer's never used on screen?