Those bits in Red Dwarf you just don't get...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by codename_47, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Thanks, as for your follow up, two explanations that sprung to mind were either that Rimmer and Lister have moved rooms again and this time Rimmer's bunk is up against the fourth wall, so we'll never see it (All the while it's being shot live infront of an audience anyway), or Rimmer and Lister finally grew fed up enough with being around each other practically 24/7 that they moved into separate sleeping accommodation. Pure speculation though. Personally though, if I were in that position whilst I'd appreciate the company during the day, I'd rather have my own space at night.

2. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Probably seems like a stupid thing to bring up but I legitimately wonder how much toilet activity is simulated by holograms. Obviously soft light holograms have no need for toilet activity unless something like bad wind was part of their personality or something, however hard light rimmer can be seen drinking real tea or coffee in tikka to ride while the two livvies that hate those deadies snack on Eric's heated muscle tissue. Surely the hard light body can't just retain food and drink indefinitely, indeed soft light projection rimmer didn't drop a tonne of rotten food and drink on the erra floor, so surely there must be a way to expell unwanted liquids and solids? Could just be that he goes to a private spot and turns to soft light to drop it out?

Over thinking whether or not rimmer takes bathroom breaks... I must be losing it :P

3. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Rimmer's bunk is still below Lister's. It's evident by the timetable and "Arnie does it best" cuttings that are still there. We just never see Rimmer using it this series.

4. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Rimmer is only designed to mimic the need for eating and sleeping. Presumably, he can be programmed to go without it - Holly can, presumably, just reboot his disc and remove the simulated hangover or tiredness. Notice how Lister is now sharing a bedroom with Cat in VI and not Rimmer.

5. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

In my opinion there only reason Rimmer doesn't use his bunk is because he would be completely obscured from the audience by the center table

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

The discussion about holograms elsewhere has reminded me of another one.

How can the Enlightenment have zero mass? How is the ship and all of its crew generated if there is nothing physically there to do it.

7. Claire_C

Claire_C Third Technician

I realise "Stasis Leak" is a logistical nightmare and as it's a great ep I forgive that. But I rewatched it last night and kept wondering why, rather than trying to get KK to come to the future with him, Lister doesn't go straight to the Captain and warn him about the drive plate.

I know this would create problems with two Listers, but it just seems unlike him to be so self-absorbed. I know the real reason is to keep the premise of the show intact, but an in-universe explanation would be appreciated, if anyone can think of one. :-)

8. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

the other strange thing is that they are by Ganymede in the past but however far away RD can take them after 3m years in the present. It seems to have sent them through space as well as time. Couldn't they usr it at any time, even now, to reach earth in the past? Space bike, Jet pack, matter paddle... even go through and steal a starbug or midget and head to earth....

ok maybe nano ship didn't have the problem in stasis but any time up to series 5 ends they could have gotten back...

and um even if then you could say that if they waited me than 2weeks they'd be in the radioactive ship... Before that they could.

9. Reznor

Reznor Guest

sooo umm why does lister eat curry off a napkin? :O

10. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

I've always wondered what a space weevil is? I mean I saw the one Lister ate, mistaking it for Crunchy King Prawn, but it's always been maintained in Red Dwarf that they haven't come across any aliens, everything and everyone they have met have been from earth or man made.

So what is a space weevil?

11. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Presumably just a species of bug or beetle that's evolved and adapted to live either on spaceships in general or Red Dwarf and Starbug or Blue Midget in particular. After all if enough time's passed for cats to grow, walk upright and develop opposable thumbs, it doesn't seem too implausible that some insect life may have moved on in evolutionary terms too.

12. mullauna

mullauna Third Technician

In the alternate reality, why doesn't the game operator recognise Lister as the "Voter Colonel" and keep calling him a "Twonk" ? If I were him, I'd be afraid of the Voter Colonel regaining his memory, and "changing" me.

13. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

This is actually quite a good point, although I imagine that Sebastian Doyle is quite a secretive figure, and probably hasn't been seen in years and years, so people wouldn't recognise him. The cop probably only does because he actually reports directly to him.

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

That and it wasn't an alternative reality, it was a hallucination designed to bring them to suicidal despair. In that context it didn't matter whether the technician should have recognised the Colonel or not, all that mattered was that Lister believed he was Colonel Sebastian Doyle.

15. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Makes sense I guess, thanks.

16. mullauna

mullauna Third Technician

Um... about Polymorph...

The remastered version shows the alien going through some ductwork to get into Red Dwarf. However, we see no evidence of access hatches, so what keeps the air inside Red Dwarf?

Why is Rimmer upset that his mum had sex with Lister? In a previous episode he mentioned that he knew his mum was having an affair with his best friend's dad, and another episode indicates that his Uncle Frank was too. So why would Lister be any different?

If the Polymorph can absorb emotion from an android and a holographic light bee, then why can't the Polymorph steal emotion from Holly?

17. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Rimmer hates Lister. He is a total slob in Rimmer's eyes which is against Rimmer's supposed good intentions of morality and living. Plus he also adored his mum ("Magnificant woman! Very prim, very proper, some say austere."). The affair his mum had was during his time in the space scouts. So I'm guessing its because of those reasons why he was upset that his mum had sex with Lister.

18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Possibly some sort of valve internal to the ductwork itself that could allow liquid or gas to be exhausted in an emergency or just for waste disposal purposes, but which some form of the polymorph was able to use to access the interior. Red Dwarf is supposed to be a huge ship, there's only a tiny fraction of it that we ever actually see.

Who says it can't? It was gorged having feasted on Lister, Rimmer, Cat and Kryten, maybe once it had finished with them it would have eventually found its way to Holly's mainframe or CPU and attacked her too.

19. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Stasis. Why isn't there a might damn fine explanation for Lister not just going back into a stasis booth for 3 million years while Holly drives home? Why does Lister need to be awake? Why did Holly even bother waking Lister up when he could have done it in 6 million years after he had returned the ship back to the solar system?

There are loads of possible answers I know but the lack of a decent reason is a bit frustrating. Stasis booth damage, fuel crisis, outside threats requiring routine maintenance staff etc would have been a fine enough explanation. Just one line.

"Why did you bring me out Holly?"
    "We're running out of fuel Dave"
    "I can't maintain myself Dave we're down to three skutters and they're all mental"

Something like that.

20. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I think deep down Lister knows that he will be going home to nothing. The human race is dead, he is the last human being alive. What is there for him to go home to? Red Dwarf is his home now and he might as well live out his life now whilst he can instead of living another 3 million years of non-existence and to risk dying through a stasis malfunction and never knowing it had happened.