Those bits in Red Dwarf you just don't get...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by codename_47, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

There is - in Future Echoes, he learns that he doesn't go into stasis, and so... doesn't go into stasis. Self-fulfilling time-loop paradox thing, I guess.

2. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

I understand why he didn't go back (explained above), but I don't see why Holly woke him up in the first place.

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I guess he had to let Lister make the decision of what he wanted to do himself and Holly clearly couldn't keep him in stasis indefinitely. There was no guarantee that Lister would even want to return to Earth, he might have decided to carry on further out into the galaxy.

4. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

I would think that it would be standard procedure. Anybody in stasis remains so until the threat is over and it is safe to be released. Holly simply had no choice in the matter.

5. Santa Paws

Santa Paws Flight Co-Ordinator

Upset..? He was flaming furious..!

6. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

You being serious? C'mon. . .:roll:

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

While we're on this topic, one thing I wonder is: did Lister and the polymorph really have sex? When Rimmer asks, "You've just made love to my mother?", Lister responds, "Yeah. Do you want to make something of it?" But I always assumed he was just lying to be antagonistic.

What are other people's thoughts?

8. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Either he did or the Polymorph left that thought inside Listers mind which is why he said it?

9. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

I really hope they did! :eek:ops:

10. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

This event caused Kleenex sales to shoot through the roof

11. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Watching Dimension Jump again - didn't realise Ace's ship was also a time machine since he travels 3 million years into his future to meet himself. If it was just a dimension hopper then he'd jump to around sometime after the accident and he'd be dead.

Aaaaanyway - I feel so bad for 'our' Rimmer. Everyone is a total git to him. Rimmer is all passionate about telegraph poles and Morris dancing and we are supposed to think he's dull. I wish I knew someone who was that much of a character he'd crack me up. Is it not a little narrow minded of the others to be so dismissive? You'd think they would be nicer to him by that point. It comes across almost as jealousy - he's the only one who seems to have any genuine interests or passions beyond himself, that's admirable, and yet he gets bullied and called miserable. I don't get that.

Poor Rimmer :-( I feel so bad for him that I find his episode in Meltdown completely justifiable.

12. Santa Paws

I feel sorry for Rimmer too...

13. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

You wouldn't feel that when he put you on report for walking all over the forum m'lassio! :-)

14. Santa Paws

:lol: :lol: True..! :lol: :lol:

15. tolucophoto

tolucophoto Skutter

One line I never used to get was the conversation on Psirens:
    Kryten - 'Are you getting any scent from that meteorite?'
    Cat - 'I didn't even know they had a duty free shop!'

Took me years! :eek:ops:
    I think it's because I never call aftershave/perfume 'scent', but yeah that was stupid!

Re. the Lister eating curry with a napkin issue...
    It's not a napkin!:!: It's a bread roll, wrapped in paper.
    He struggles to unwrap it, and rather that stopping the scene and reshooting, he just makes do with the small amount that's poking out.
    He sucks the curry off the bread, but the paper/ napkin is sticking up making it look like he's eating it.

16. lidders2k

lidders2k Second Technician

Do holograms have a sense of smell? Seems a bit strange to me that in Marooned Rimmer can smell the type of wood that is burning.

And thinking harder about it.....how is he being generated?

17. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Probably the ship Senses all chemicals around in the air and simulates rimmer smelling them

18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

That's what I assumed too. Think of it this way, a Hologram itself can't actually see or hear, yet Rimmer can respond to audio and visual clues, responding to smells doesn't seem that much of a leap. In any case he was apparently (Judging by the look on his face anyway) able to smell Lister's moonboots in Kryten.

As for how he is able to be generated, although the Light Bee isn't actually referenced until Meltdown, I believe it's broadly accepted that that was supposed to be a retcon so either Rimmer's Bee is doing the generation or Starbug is able to do so remotely, if you remember back to Thanks For The Memories, Rimmer doesn't need his remote generation cage in Blue Midget's cockpit so even without the Light Bee it makes sense that he wouldn't need it within the hull of Starbug.

19. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

why was radio called "the wireless"? Is this a British Empire thing?

20. mychemicaldwarf

mychemicaldwarf Second Technician

Radios just used to be called "the wireless" as slang in Britain. Kind of like how vacuum cleaners are called hoovers. Most things have slang terms.

Presumably because they erm...were wireless. At a time when nothing else was. Now loads of things are wireless, so only really old people would still use the term.