Those bits in Red Dwarf you just don't get...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by codename_47, Dec 2, 2011.

1. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Not just a British thing. My grandparents call the radio the wireless and I'm in Australia. I'm pretty sure I've heard it used in old American shows such as MASH, Hogans Heroes and other non war based ones. I could be wrong, been a while since I've seen either of those shows. It stood for wireless telegraphy.

2. mychemicaldwarf

mychemicaldwarf Second Technician

Oh ok. The whole world is British anyway. We kinda traveled a lot, stealing everything. We're good like that.

Do you call a hoover a hoover, even if it's a dyson? I've never owned a hoover hoover, but i always call em a hoover.

3. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

I was just thinking of The Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society.

One "Mary Whitehouse" type pearl clutcher famously wrote in to Grant Naylor, pretty much saying she hadn't wanted her young daughter to know what a clitoris was until the daughter was menopausal!

4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

This isn't a plot point as such, but in Queeg, Rimmer is repeating everything Holly and Lister says, even in their accents. His Holly accent is just Chris Barrie imitating Holly, but when he imitates Lister it's so bang on that I've never been able to work out if it's Chris Barrie giving a flawless Lister, or if they dubbed on Lister's line again. It sounds perfect.

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm pretty certain it's just Chris Barrie doing a really good Lister/Charles accent. I've heard him imitating Charles a few times over the years (such as in one of the DVD commentaries) and he's normally not very good at doing him - usually just giving him a generic Liverpool accent - but in that one line in Queeg he got it just perfect.

6. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

It's a bit spooky to be reading this as I watched QUEEG last night and was thinking something along the same lines. Not that I wondered if it was dubbed - I'd bet my left penis is isn't - but how accurate it is. The reason it's so accurate is because the scene was done in one take with Barrie repeating their lines immediately after hearing them, making the impression easier to do. When he's asked at random to do a Charles' impression it's not as good because he's having to work from memory, not what he's just that second heard.

I did considering grabbing the two lines (Charles' and Barrie's) with Audacity and then presenting them as stand alone sound bites to see if anyone could tell who was who.

I still might.

7. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Good idea.

8. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I can detect a slight difference between the two. Am I correct in thinking that Chris Barrie is the second one in both cases? They both have a distinct Barrie sound.

10. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Spoiler (highlight below to read)

Correct.

11. Complete_Smegpot

Complete_Smegpot Skutter

Future echoes.. Rimmer mentions his father and "All that rather unfortunate suicide business"

yet in Better Than Life, Lister finds a letter adressed to Rimmer, informing him that his Father passed away peacefully in his sleep.....

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Yes, but he doesn't say it's his dad who committed suicide. It may be like when Rimmer worked for The Samaritans, and it was someone else he's talking about.

And why has this thread been dug up when we've had the 'Explain that' thread that's been doing the exact same thing for the last God knows how many years??

13. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I dug up this thread because I wanted to ask about the line in Queeg being dubbed. It wasn't an "Explain that?" question becaue it wasn't about a plot hole / continuity error. I didn't think "was this line dubbed?" warranted a thread of its own, and thought this was the closest, since it's about aspects we personally didn't grasp (eg Americans asking about British slang), as opposed to reconciling blatant continuity errors. Unless there's a "how did they do that?" thread somewhere.

14. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Yes I think the same. The first one is tricky, but the second is easier as CB says Hol' in his usual accent.