Those bits in Red Dwarf you just don't get...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by codename_47, Dec 2, 2011.

1. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Banging a metal pole onto a railing is vandalism? I don't think so. The bar doesn't even break or smash. Vandalism would be destroying something or defacing something.

2. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

When I was a lot younger, a lot, lot younger I did the same thing to a neighbours fence, the neighbour promptly came out and gave me a stern talking to even though I didnt cause any damage of any kind.

Today, if I picked up some large bit of wood and did the same thing to my next door neighbour she wouldnt talk to me again as it would come under some law like antisocial behaviour or what have you, I dont have my law book in front of me so wont be pedantic about it.

Perhaps the scene is purely my subconscious at work thinking of the way I was dealt justice, mind you I do like the idea that Listers spacebike was dented theory.

3. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The book (Backwards) covers this quite well: they were actually trying to invent a time-travel ship, and accidentally invented a universe-hopping ship instead.

Is he, though? I mean, to be a successful Ace he'd probably need to be hard light, but having a light bee doesn't automatically make you hard light. The light bee was first introduced in series IV, I believe.

It's "taramasalata" or alternately "taramosalata". It's a Greek and Turkish dip (as is hoummous) made from fish roe.

4. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Me again, this thread is just becoming a monument to my stupidity and slowness really, but oh well, I'm glad I have this outlet to prevent real life embarrassment!

Backwards: Starbug is introduced, complete with cloaking device.

Cloaking device is never used again, despite how many times having said device would come in handy...

Thoughts?

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Easy! The cloaking device is designed not so much for hiding a spaceship from onlookers as it is for cloaking budgetary restrictions from an audience. It only becomes useful when lack of cash prevents the acceptably realistic depiction of Starbug landing, especially if it's to be shown landing somewhere Earthlike.

6. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Simple, the cloaking device was a prototype item attached only to the one version of Starbug, which Lister and Cat took to find Rimmer and Kryten. This same Starbug was then either:

a. Crashed into an icy moon/planet while Holly tried to navigate the Dwarf itself through a series of "black holes"
    b. Stolen by Rimmer, whilst inside of Lister's stolen body, and subsequently crashed into a rocky moon

Either the device was then abandoned along with an absolute wreckage of the bugs, or was recovered but seriously damaged and could not be repaired by the boys (or senile Holly). Therefore the cloaking device was never used again.

ps. Auto-repair, seen in Series VI, would not have worked simply because the damage was too great, like with the Oxygen regeneration unit in Emohawk.

7. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

Starbug reverse-aged to a time when it had working cloak..?

8. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

i am partial to this explaination.

9. MichaelJRimmer

MichaelJRimmer Second Technician

On the Jupiter Corporation Mining Ship Red Dwarf
    What about why you have starbug in Series III never land, (except for when we didnt see it land) all it does is crash. Maybe made out of same material as Starfleet shuttlecrafts?

10. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Thinking about it, why would a mining ship need mining/service vessels with cloaking devices anyway?

Starbug's main job was to ferry whatever RD was supposed to be mining from shore to ship wasn't it?
    Why would it need to cloak during that operation?

Or perhaps would Starbug be a Space Corps vessel hired by the Jupiter Mining Corporation to use on its mining vessels...for some reason?

11. Claire_C

Claire_C Third Technician

Rimmer's behaviour towards Kochanski in the flashback scene in "Balance Of Power". We all know he usually sucks up to officers, but in this scene he actually picks up her handbag and throws it across the dance floor! I know they're all off duty, but it still doesn't make sense to me.

I suppose the learning drugs we're told he's on could be affecting his behaviour. :?

12. Paul Taylor

I just thought I'd quote this as I wanted to say when I first read it that I think this is a really worthwhile thread. I don't think anyone minds folk self-bumping if there's something useful to say, and this thread has raised some good questions.

There really is no point to it having a cloaking device, unless they were competing with other corporations in what could conceivably be a very dangerous business with lots of 'accidents'. That doesn't explain why the cloaking device isn't used after 'Backwards', so you can conjure any possible solution to that and it would serve.

I've always been puzzled by this. I can't even see how so fundamental a character change would have been accidentally included. However, it seems to me as incongruous a trait for Rimmer as when he threatens Todhunter in 'The End'. I was never really convinced by that, either. We know Rimmer is, essentially, insane. Perhaps that's all the explanation needed.

13. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Let us not forget that in The End he shouts at Todhunter when he doesn't get his way, and in Stasis Leak's flashback he tells Hollister he's "got [his] head stuck up [his] big fat arse."

By which I would infer: he's obsequious when he remembers to be or when it suits him, but is such a snidey and petty individual that he just can't help himself from being a git even when it might actively harm his career.

If anything, it might just be one of the reasons why he hasn't ascended the ziggurat as quickly as he expected to...

14. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Wasn't there a scientific research development area aboard Red Dwarf? I may be wrong, but I'm sure they were developing ....stuff.

15. Paul Taylor

There was indeed. Another possible explanation for the presence of the cloaking device, although why they suddenly lost it is anyone's guess. Perhaps it developed an intermittent problem, so they removed it to try to fix it, but the problem fixed itself, the cloak activated, and they haven't been able to find the cloaking device since.

16. Claire_C

Rimmer's insanity is as good an explanation as any. :-) And I suppose at this stage Rob and Doug were still fine-tuning the characters.

17. Claire_C

That's a good point. Plus the scene in "Only The Good" where he's trying to flatter Hollister and keeps insulting him instead. :lol:

18. Mash_Man_Mandela

Mash_Man_Mandela Skutter

Hi everyone, another newbie here, but a long time fan of the show.

Over the last few weeks I've had a Red Dwarf-athon and watched everything from series I up to half way through series VII...time well spent!
    Something thats been bugging me is how they meet Kochanski in series VII. Theres a flashback to Lister coming back from planet leave/going AWOL which I assume is supposed to have been experienced by both Listers, only in one Kochanski discovers Frankenstein and ends up in stasis and in the other reality Frankenstein isn't discovered until later resulting in Lister getting put in stasis. But all that happens because Kochanski dumps Lister. But in all other series they'd never actually been an item?! Apart from in "Stasis Leak" where an alternative Lister has gone back in time and they've got married... but ignoring that, am I missing something? Or was that just a bit of artistic licence to get Kochanski back as a main character?

Tom

19. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

The writers of Red Dwarf have never taken continuity too seriously and the Lister/Kochanski relationship was mentioned before Series VII. In the opening to Psirens Kryten describes her as Lister's ex girlfriend.

20. bond_villain

bond_villain Third Technician

In fact, they're mentioned as being together as far back as 'DNA' in series IV where Lister explains why he once wanted to be a squirrel:

'Kochanski had just finished with me and I was feeling really pony..'