Those bits in Red Dwarf you just don't get...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by codename_47, Dec 2, 2011.

1. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

The thing that makes me laugh about that scene is the dis integrator control pad is the exact same light up block eliminating puzzle game that I got for Christmas that year.
    To own a prop from a TV show is one thing, owning something they obviously thought was a cheap way to show a futuristic control panel was another hilarious matter altogether!

I myself have just gone through series 5 (with commentary on so forgive me if some things were more muddled than they should be!) and had a few things that puzzled me:

In Quarantine, Rimmer says his frustration has got worse these last ten years since he last had sex. Was the "McGruder incident" really Ten years ago, from his perspective (not counting stasis and assuming the first 5 series take place over a period of about 2/3 years as referenced by Lister's age.)
    So about 7 years before the accident? Had Rimmer really been on Red Dwarf all that time?

Next! Captain Platini mentions their computer, Stochy. Given that this ship was supposed to be much, much more advanced that RD, I wondered why Stochy didn't have a human looking Avatar like Holly. (the answer probably being, he/she/it does but just wasn't shown, obviously)
    But then this got me into a bit of a mental loop: Nirvana says the entire ship is computer generated, so we assume there is a giant computer somewhere on Earth or another Space Corps world running this Holoship simulation.
    Yet this computer not only simulates an entire ship, but a computer for the ship.
    The computer is hologrammatically simulating a computer!
    Can the hologrammatically simulated computer simulate its own holograms, one wonders? :twisted:

Urrr...brain overload. *Head Explodes* *Spare Head 2 gets its time to shine

Moving QUICKLY on, more Hologrammatic matters though. Dr Hildegard Landstrom. A big deal is made by the crew that Rimmer has to return to Red Dwarf so they can commandeer his remote projection unit to get Landstrom back to the ship.
    Since when was this the rule? (Yes, I can hear you hitting reply already-because it made the scene funny, lets ignore that obvious answer for the moment!)

Its like the writers had just watched Thanks For the Memory with the hologram projection cage and forgotten everything they'd come up with in regards to the light bee. Couldn't they just turn her off and take her light bee with them?
    Or even just download her program into Red Dwarf's databanks?
    As I say I know it was for comedy reasons but the sudden invention of a remote projection unit (and based on them losing Red Dwarf and contact with Holly in series 6 and Rimmer jaunting around different universes in series 7, it must be projecting pretty damn far!)seems to go against everything we've learnt about holograms so far.

Another point I've just thought of while typing this post and seeing all the red squiggly lines every time I typed Hologrammatic is about that word.
    Is Red Dwarf the only sci-fi show to go with hologrammatic when referring to projections of light in contrast to the more common Holographic that you see more on Star Trek and other sci-fi shows?
    My spellchecker seems to prefer one over the other, but since I grew up on RD I tend to lean more towards hologrammatic more than holographic! :-p

Anyway, another long one for you all, digest at your leisure!

2. codename_47

Why couldn't Nirvana Crane come back aboard Red Dwarf?

I know that other officer thought Death was preferable but surely Nirvana wouldn't? And she'd be an invaluable asset to the team even more than Kochanski would turn out to be surely?
    (Imagine the dynamic then with both Nirvana and KK bitching about Starbug in series 7!)

3. codename_47

Why doesn't this thread bump to the top?

4. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

It has...

5. codename_47

...when someone else posts in it, it seems.

Ho humm, that's the easiest question to answer :-p

6. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I don't get the part in backwards where kryten says something like earth looking like he had always imagined but only shorter. Never got it.

7. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

i always thought he meant he expected the earth was much taller

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I think it was just a deliberately odd line that's intended to provoke a laugh because it makes no sense.

9. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I never thought of it like that, but I like it :-)

10. jaybo1973

Yeah, I like this theory :-)

11. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I have seen various major land-marks in my life including The Coliseum in Rome and Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. They were both great, but they both struck me as being quite smaller than I'd imagined. I'm a bit ashamed to say I was a little bit disappointed, although I'm glad I saw them, and they were spectacular just the same. We often build things up to be larger in our mind before we see them... It's just a take on that idea, the joke being he is talking about an entire planet! Also bear in mind, Kryten is standing in front of a tree* when he says that.

*Interestingly, I think it was a different actor in the suit in that scene. A stand in while Robert Llewellyn was elsewhere.

12. thecogre

in the comentary bobby states that he is not in the boat scene so one could infer that he is not in the tree scene as well

13. jaybo1973

A few more from series 3:

Why does rimmer explode at the end of time slides? The bomb in the suit case had already gone off, surely you can't get a bomb in a sandwich?
    If you can't move outside the frame of a photo, how did they move to the bar?

In the last day, why did krytens replacement get sent to red dwarf? He was rescued from the nova 5.

I shouldn't pick flaws really, its a comedy show, not star trek

14. thecogre

1. for the joke

2. its a wde shot, and fot the joke

3. a homing device inside kryten, and for the joke

15. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

At the end of 'Timeslides', Rimmer smacks his fists down onto two crates labeled 'EXPLOSIVES'.

16. jaybo1973

You are right. In all these years I had never noticed the boxes lol. Always thought it was to do with the Hitler bomb. :eek:ops:

17. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

That was what I used to think, too. Not that I find the final explanation much more satisfying. But then, it's probably my least favourite episode, so I'm not bothered.

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Neither did I the first few times I saw the episode. I always thought he just randomly exploded for no apparent reason.

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

One thing I've often wondered about that episode,

Rimmer successfully changed history so that he is no longer a Hologram. Does that mean, that from that episode onwards, everyone's memory of him is that he spent 3 million years in the (originally vacant) Stasis booth, only to mysteriously blow himself up 2-3 years later in a moment of delirium?

Or did the existence of the Timeslide somehow protect their memory of the original timeline's events, much like The Guardian of Forever in the Star Trek Episode The City on the Edge of Forever* did to Kirk and Spock? Holly seemed to remember all the original events despite changes to the time-line.

Or is this an original example of a new timeline being generated to deal with a paradox consisting of elements from two contradictory time-lines? Like what happened at the start of Tikka To Ride. Another good episode by the way**, although that bit was confusing.

Or am I over-thinking it, and it's just a stand-alone episode that has no implications for the rest of the series?

*An interesting thought provoking episode of Star Trek by the way. DeForest Kelley's insanity acting is very cheesy though, and I thought Spock constructing a time scanning device from 1930s technology, such as foil and coat hangers was a bit much.

**Good like most of the episodes of Series VII. Ooh, ark at me, Mr Controversial.

20. jaybo1973

I have often had this same thought. It must be a redundant timeline though as is original death is refered to in later episodes or at least his poor repair that wiped out the crew is.

I guess we are reading to much into it, as above, it was done for comedy value.