Those bits in Red Dwarf you just don't get...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by codename_47, Dec 2, 2011.

1. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Seeing as Rimmmer and Holly remembered Lister, Cat and Kryten after they were erased from the timeline, I presume that they all retained memories of the previous timeline (so Kryten, Cat and Lister remember Rimmer as dying in the accident).

2. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

How do previous episodes play out with Rimmer alive though?

Particularly Thanks for the Memory, as Lister wouldn't be able to alter Rimmer's memories.

And Stasis Leak, Rimmer wouldn't be able to hide in as many places and cause his past self's delusion (Another time-loop aborted there then!)

Maybe Stasis Leak is the clue to it then, as without the Hologram issues Rimmer is able to chat to his past self without scaring him too much with the rentaghost tricks and his past self calmly gets into the stasis booth as instructed when Lister is sentenced...

I love retcons! :-p

3. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

"Does Carmen Miranda wear fruit?" I never got this one, but these days with the power of a google search.....

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

This never occurred to me but it seems to be another good example of the difficulties of writing storylines about time-travel. Unless they are very cleverly written or kept relatively simple (which they rarely are) then they always cause huge problems with continuity...the biggest one in RD being why the crew always seem to just give up on the potential useage of such devices after an episode or two.

Hopefully any future storylines involving time travel will have a more careful thought process involved.

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

You're not over thinking it, but ultimately it is just a stand alone episode. Rimmer is a hologram, pure and simple. That is part of the origin of his character as he stands in the series. It's a part of where his comedy comes from. It's part of his role. He is useful in that function, and he remains a hologram until it ceases to be useful in series 8. The fact that in 'Timeslides' he accidentally regains his physical self only to lose it seconds later due to another crazy, unpredictable accident, is just a gag. Nothing much in that episode makes sense, and little of it exists for any wider purpose than as a source for humour. There's nothing wrong with that, although because I'm anal, it's my least favourite episode of the BBC run largely because it stretches my credulity to the point of transparency.

No, even though I'm anal, I don't want the show to be enslaved by logic at the expense of fun and humour. Not that the two are incompatible, but in a half hour show, sometimes one has to take priority over the other.

6. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Well, reading this thread has revealed one to me - Light bee. I always heard 'light beam', but bee makes much more sense, buzzing round inside Rimmer (isn't that what they say about it?)

Another one I sussed out recently (after an internet search mind you!), was 'up the ziggurat'. Not having heard of a ziggurat before, I thought Rimmer was saying 'ziggeral'.

There you go; obviously need to get my hearing checked :-)

7. SixthDwarfer

That's the way I figured it. Seeing his adult self as a hologram in 'Timeslides' made the older Rimmer take his future self seriously in 'Stasis Leak'. Consequently, he didn't dismiss him as an hallucination and took his advice and went into stasis.

Also, I was thinking about Lister's second appendectomy in 'Legion'. Maybe when he was returned to being Human in 'D.N.A.', the machine reset him to default and gave him back his appendix. Either that or it regrew when he was on Backwards Earth in 'Backwards'.

8. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Oh I like that! Never thought of that before :-)

9. Paul Taylor

Watching 'Queeg' at the moment. When Rimmer's hohlogram is currupting, he starts mimicking other members of the crew. I though it was due to the same sort of malfunction as when he ended up with Peterson's arm, but why would he start mimicking people who wouldn't be likely to have crew files for hologram purposes, like Holly and the Cat?

10. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I watched Queeg yesterday and had that exact same thought, I came to the conclusion that its just funnier to have impressions of people you know rather than crew members you didn't.

11. SixthDwarfer

See, I figured that the mistake caused him to mimic what others were saying about him in that scene. The bit where he's twirling around screeching was just his program corrupting and Cat just mistook the random noises as an impression of him.

12. Paul Taylor

Just watched 'Back to Reality'. At the end, Kryten says that Rimmer hallucinated he was Sebastian Doyle's brother because it meant he could no longer blame his failing on his upbringing. But, Rimmer already had three much more successful brothers, yet still managed to blame his failure on his upbringing. Is there something I've missed? Some other reason being the brother of Sebastian Doyle rather than Frank, Howard and John negated Rimmer's excuses?

13. SixthDwarfer

Rimmer's parents were neglectful, emotionally abusive and quite possibly mentally unstable. Only by not living up to their standards, and being in the shadow of his much older and more successful brothers, led to Rimmer being the neurotic mess he is.

Presumably, Sebastian and Billy were raised in a comfortable, stable environment. They presumably also shared the same level of education and connections that led to Sebastian entering politics. Billy, presumably, screwed his life up all by himself - his parents were loving, caring and rich, but he threw it all away to become a low-level criminal and smackhead, resentful of his brothers power and success.

14. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Aside from the reasons given above it's explained in the novels that Rimmer's brothers were all given some sort of expensive learning implants that artificially boosted their ability and mental skills. When it came time for Rimmer to get his implant his family had run out of money so he had to rely on...well himself.

There is a strong implication in all forms of RD media that Rimmer was possibly not fathered by the man he refers to as his father. This might also have led to him being looked down upon by the patriarch of the Rimmer household.

15. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

The book 'Backwards' mentioned that Rimmer thought his brothers deserved their success. They'd earnt their holiday. He probably thinks they got there despite their communal upbringing through some found talent. They never needed the parents as he did, thus not let down as he was. Rimmer also mentioned he had still achieved despite the parenting to the Inquisitor. They were also all older brothers.

William Doyle has a younger more successful brother, someone he already despised. Someone doing a job he'd give his right hand for, that doesn't want it. Bill, by comparison, has literally nothing.

16. SixthDwarfer

I always thought it was that Rimmer was the only one who was fathered by Mr. Rimmer and that John, Howard and Frank were all fathered by Uncle Frank.
    From her interview with Talkie Toaster it seems that Frank was on the whole more successful and handsome than his brother.

17. pariah

pariah Skutter

In Kryten, when Holly is talking about his extra-large instruments, he states that women would have to be banned from playing the cello. Why is this? :?

18. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Having to open their legs really wide?

19. pariah

pariah Skutter

Doubtful, as it still wouldn't make sense...:?

20. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

It does. That's what I've always taken it to mean.