Those bits in Red Dwarf you just don't get...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by codename_47, Dec 2, 2011.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I think it's one of those jokes that makes sense to a certain type of laddish male, both of whom the writers at the time might have belonged to. The whole, "women...having to open their legs...you know, bit rude, isn't it" fist pumping sort.

I've seen at least one woman react to it as if it was a slightly surreal punchline....not that women can't understand it, but the joke probably relies on a more laddish mindset to find it funny.

2. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

Always thought that was a masturbation gag myself. You (can) play the cello on your left inside thigh so if it got wider, the cello would push against the crotch and all the vibrations... well, quite.

3. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

It took me a week of pondering to work out the scene in Legion when Legion says 'until the day you die' and rimmer says '32'.

I couldnt work it out. At first I thought Rimmer was saying, 32, yep, thats the age I died. Which does actually make sense to the response to Legion (although a year out I think) but then I realised that he meant 32 nutters that he had met on his travels. Legion being number 32.

4. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

Who are the others?

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Yeah, ShinyThing. No pressure, but if you could just throw together a list of all 32 psychotic smeggers they've met up to and including Legion for us, that would be spiffing.;-)

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That's what I thought until someone on the board a number of years ago pointed out what the '32' really refers to.

7. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

Oh well thats ok then, puts my IQ back up a bit. Thought I was just being thick.

You are joking arent you? But if you go through the books, I may manage to come up with 32. But unfortuently Ive got a life to live. :-D

8. Paul Taylor

Besides which, all the people from 'Stasis Leak' and all the people met in the backwards universe in 'Backwards' surely must push the total up beyond 32. Do we count the second Rimmer from 'Confidence and Paranoia' and 'Me[sup]2[/sup]'? Remember, Rimmer only says they've met a total of 32 individuals, then goes on to say most of them meant them harm. He doesn't claim the number 32 includes only the psychos. You know, the suspicious part of me would almost be willing to believe the line was just thrown in there with no consideration for continuity.:-D

9. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Wasn't this also linked to the fact they wore skirts, which with a horse between their legs would have been hitched up to the levels of... well... today's skirts? Considering showing a bit of ankle was scandalous for a lady in such times, showing that much leg would have caused something of a stir.

10. ChangeOfPlan

ChangeOfPlan Third Technician

Tell you what, if my English teacher in high school had sat with HER legs closed, I would have got a **** load more work done.

No wonder Im crap at spelling. :shock:

Mod edit: language!

11. Paul Taylor

You seem to be able to spell obscenities well enough. Please don't, though.

12. schmam121

schmam121 Skutter

Regarding the 'That many?!' line, I always thought it was because Lister was telling the Cat behind Rimmer's back. He had to have something to shout to give the game away and embarass Rimmer, and 'That many?!' seems like the clearest one. Obviously there is confusion, as seen in this thread, but I honestly think he's incredulous at how low the number is (Rimmer or not).

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It's the opposite. The Cat is incredulous that Rimmer even managed that many! It shows his low esteem of Rimmer that he is surprised Rimmer got lucky even that once.

14. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

It also allows us an additional little bit of irony that Cat finds it so incredulous despite having never even had sex once himself

15. schmam121

schmam121 Skutter

Speaking of which, do we actually know that the Cat has never had sex? I know the cat folks left behind the sick and the lame, but there could be something in there for Cat. In the books he'd had sex at any rate.

Is there a later reference to it that I'm missing?

16. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

His life's ambition is to "get his end away" according to Holly in Queeg, also in Kryten there is the line "you're acting pretty cocky for a guy who's never even seen a woman", combined with his reaction in Stasis Leak about "I wanna do something, but I'm not sure what it is. Whatever it is, I wanna do a lot of it!" points toward his having never having had sex. All from series two along with the remarks about Rimmer's sex-life.

(all quotes are paraphrasing there, it's been ages since I last watched any so they'll be a bit inaccurate, but the gist should still be correct)

In the book Backwards he has had sex, but then of course regains his virgin status over the course of the book.

17. Paul Taylor

Of course, in 'Stasis Leak' and in 'Parallel Universe', the Cat did meet women, yet in series IV's 'Justice' Lister says, "I just think you're a little bit cocky for a guy who's never actually met a real woman before."

I'm sure there's a perfectly rational explanation for this, probably based around continuity being for saps.

18. schmam121

schmam121 Skutter

A good point, very well made. He probably hasn't had sex in that case (although incidentally I always considered the 'never even seen a woman' thing to mean a human woman, but nonetheless the point stands) The most condemning is almost certainly the Stasis Leak quote.

You're right about Backwards, although I was actually referring to the bit in Infinity Welcomes when he's talking about not being able to understand the idea of a relationship beyond sex, and that he knew who his mum was because she was the one who refused to have sex with him. Then again, the books and the show aren't always co-existent as we know

19. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

That's it, Justice! I got mixed up with Lister/Rimmer's attempts on the pull in Kryten. Whoops :eek:ops: Another reminder I really should go back and watch it again.

I don't recall that part of the book, but only read them once a fair while ago (another thing on the list to re-read at some point), although as you say the show and the books are entirely different continuities (a term to ues lightly for the show) and have their own different takes on characters, events, and so on and so forth. But by the sound of things, combined with the reference I made to Backwards, it would imply that Cat's mother was the one who refused to have sex with him, but there was nobody else to agree to have sex with him. Perhaps most of the others who were old or lame were male. Or there were just a few of them left by this point.

20. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Well there's this thing people do... You know, when they exaggerate something to make their friends look silly. Yes cat has met women before, but not many. So the line "I just think you're a little bit cocky for a guy who's never actually met a real woman before." does work.

I don't know why I'm getting involved in all this seeing as over analysis really bugs me :s