Those bits in Red Dwarf you just don't get...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by codename_47, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Maza365

Maza365 Skutter

Just watching Timeslides. When Ruby Wax's character says Lister went number one in the charts after buying 3 million copies of his own record she says "You'll never be short of an ash tray in his house." Why?

I assume she means you can use all the records as ash trays? But why would a record make a good substitute for an ash tray as opposed to something like a coster or at least something the same shape and roughly the same size as a number vinyl single record?

I'm assuming it's a record for that time period rather than CD. Never understood this one. Any ideas. really hope it's not something simple. :eek:ops:

2. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

If you heat up vinyl, you can reshape it. Most easily into a sort of bowl design.

Seeing as VHS has replaced DVD's in the future, I wouldn't be surprised if vinyl records have made a return too.

3. Maza365

Maza365 Skutter

SO won't putting hot ash on it melt it?

4. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I've seen ash trays made out of vinyls before. It must have been a thing back in the 80s?

5. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Yeah, it's quite a common thing.

[​IMG]

6. 1234564

1234564 Third Technician

The bit in Bodyswap where Rimmer's taking a [wee] in Lister's body for the first time and after trying and failing to grip his [Johnson] with a pair of tongs he removes his blindfold, looks down, then looks up clearly very shocked.

Is the joke that Lister happens to have a weird willy? Is it an usual size or shape?

7. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

I'm not sure if any of this post contravenes the swearing restrictions of this forum or not.

I'm pretty sure the implication is that Lister is considerably more 'blessed' than Rimmer, and that's what causes Rimmer's surprise.

8. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I always assumed it had more to do with his tip that "urine should only be green if you're Mr. Spock".

9. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

He was blindfolded so wouldn't have known. Something else would have had to draw his attention. Unless perhaps that green urine burned or something perhaps.

10. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Yeah, I always got the idea that Lister had more to swing about than Rimmer. Though Craig Charles puts across the theory in the commentary that he's shocked because Lister doesn't have one!

11. 1234564

1234564 Third Technician

'Nicey' Ackerman's eye in Krytie TV - the bit where he's telling the prisoners to return his glass eye and he removes his sunglasses to reveal a big black circle on the left side of his face. Is that supposed to be a big gaping hole where his glass eye should be (which wouldn't make sense since a glass eye wouldn't fit in there) or is it supposed to be a eye patch affixed on his face with adhesive?

12. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

An eye patch I've always assumed.

13. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

It's an eyepatch. There was a large discussion about this over at Ganymede and Titan. Do I need to give a warning about language?

http://www.ganymede.tv/forum/2012/02/ackermans-eye

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I was curious to find out it actually is an eyepatch stuck to his face! I always thought it was a bad CG effect depicting a big hole too.

15. 1234564

1234564 Third Technician

Yes, please give me a warning about language.

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Somebody really wants that warning...
    ;-)

17. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Not really something I don't get more something that's always bugged me...

In series 1 Lister says about Channel 27 having a hologram newsreader and Rimmer does a jig-thing and says "Oh, groovy funky Channel 27!".

In series 2 we see a hologram newsreader on 'Groovy Channel 27'.

Why isn't it just called Channel 27?? To me, it seems Rimmer was just acknowledging how Channel 27 was meant (or trying) to be hip and down with the kids (?) or whatever by saying what he did.

I'd rather have seen the shot and thought, "Oooo, that's the 'funky, groovy Channel 27 Rimmer was on about..." instead of seeing the word 'Groovy' there.

And besides, if it was such a cool channel it wouldn't have the word Groovy there. Having a hologram newsreader would just have been taken in its stride...

Oh dear, I have visions of Ed Bye saying "But we made Groovy Channel 27 up. It was just a tv show in a tv show. Hello? HELLO? bastard!"

18. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

That is how he meant it, at the time it was written and performed.

When it was required that Channel 27 actually be shown, holographic newsreader and all, it was decided to include the tagline 'Groovy' that had originally been intended as just a description.

It bugs me too a bit. It degrades Rimmer's initial reaction to the mention of this liberal TV channel, thereby reducing what it teaches us about Rimmer.

19. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Y'know it could well be that at the time of Rimmer's comments "Channel 27" was called just that, and it tried to be all groovy and funky and all that jazz. Then in the time between the two references some bright spark (read: "dipstick") at Channel 27 thought they should rename themselves "Groovy Channel 27" to really show they were groovy and funky and so on. An act which makes them seem even less so than their original efforts managed to achieve I'm sure (especially if the abject lack of groove, funk, etc, seen in their newsreader is anything to go by).

20. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

That channel has gone through one hell of a lot of names over the years, but this current one... I still refuse to name it as it stands, I find it so utterly ridiculous. Fortunately I generally have no interest in its lineup, so it doesn't bother me anymore as I just don't watch it! :-D