Those bits in Red Dwarf you just don't get...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by codename_47, Dec 2, 2011.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Maybe Arnold was new at being a hologram then (probably only a few hours old) and hadn't got the hand of it yet. The first novel explains how he is able to effectively lie on a bed etc.

2. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Personally I blame it on the hologram suite having been activated for the first time in three million years so some calibrations may still be in need of fine tuning. So in that episode you get the opportunity for Rimmer to fall through the console, and then afterwards things like the bunks, the console, and so on and so forth have been fixed and fine tuned by Holly so Rimmer is able to interact with them better.

Would also help explain why he is able to step through the table still in Stasis Leak, as in that timeline Rimmer is not programmed into the projection suite of that Red Dwarf, so he is unable to interact with any of the items on the ship.

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Actually what Lister says is "so report me, get me put into Stasis for six months" (which annoyed me at the time for other reasons of continuity) but in reality he wasn't put into stasis in 'The End' for being reported but for refusing to give up the cat after he was busted. This meant he was placed in stasis for the duration of the trip. This explains your query over the six to eighteen month jump but I'm still not convinced it didn't originate from some bad continuity/memory of original events by Doug...

EDIT:

Come to think of it that whole segment is unclearly written. The explanation that "they found the Cat and she got six months in Stasis" doesn't make a whole lot of sense either, if they found the cat and merely gave Kochansi the six month penalty then this would imply she gave Frankenstein up and just got the lesser punishment, but if that's the case then how did the Cat race start in Kochanski's dimension? In fact, why did the accident occur at all if Lister was around to help Rimmer repair the drive plate...well perhaps the answer for the latter is obvious...neither of them were very good at their job...but yeah, Ouroboros is a really bad episode to try to apply logic too.

4. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Maybe they found evidence of Kochanski releasing the cat into the cargo decks. Maybe then they couldn't find her, but instead gave her six months punishment in stasis.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Yes. I just assumed that they 'found' Frankenstein the same way they did with Lister. As in, they never actually found her in the flesh but became aware of her existence somehow. Or escaped again maybe. I think 'found' in this case was just a shorthand way of saying the same thing all happened through Kochanski.

6. kiowa13

kiowa13 Skutter

Ah, I like the Stasis Leak explanation! Never thought of it quite like that before :-)

Or one thought I've just had is that Rimmer has the ability in both/all timelines to interact with objects such as the console and table but, since he's just been activated as a hologram, he doesn't know his capabilities/limitations (I can't imagine Holly giving him a prep talk before letting him loose on the ship). So in The End he passes through objects because he doesn't know he can make a 'connection' with them but, as time goes on, he become more familiar and confident with his new existence and learns that he can either connect with or pass through certain objects if he wishes.

7. SixthDwarfer

Holly can presumably project Rimmer to appear to be in contact with certain objects - he can simulate him lying on his bunk and sitting on chairs, and even slumped over a table ('Queeg' and 'The Last Day'). He is not technically interacting with them, as 'Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers' explains that he is merely hovering slightly above each surface.

8. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

When series 5 was broadcast I was still at school. Thought I was bright.

Watching Back to Reality when Rimmer speculates on who Billy Doyle may be, he closes his speech by saying: "And so ends the ballad of Billy 'Granicular' Doyle".

I didn't get it. Thought 'Granicular' was a word I knew nothing of. Maybe it had psychological origins? Or used to describe a gun-toting villain in some way? Even though Rimmer had said about the old lady getting both barrels through her crocheted bobble-hat.

About 15 years later (in my 20s) I realised it was 'Granny-Killer'.

Anyway....

9. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

Thank heavens I watch it with subtitles on :-)

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Talking about mishearings, near the beginning of Meltdown when Kryten first appears with the matter paddle he says, "What a truly copacetic piece of machinery". I had a poor quality, hissy VHS recording of the episode and I used to hear 'truly' as 'chormey'. For years I wondered what 'chormey' meant.

11. Pecospete666

Pecospete666 Catering Officer

So who is Billy Doyle?

12. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

This is just you showing off that you know what "copacetic" means, isn't it?

13. SixthDwarfer

Good ol' Bill Doyle is the alcoholic smackhead who happens to be half-brother of Colonel Sebastian Doyle, the Director of the Ministry of Alteration.

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Acshully AWOL properly stands for Absent Without Official Leave, in the British Army at any rate.

15. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Wow this thread took on a life of its own after I forgot about it!

Bumping it now because after watching series 4 again, I'm not quite sure what Kryten means when he says of Rimmer "I think he's just discovered what shirt tails are for"

Or why a hologram would need them.....or why Kryten would say that when Rimmer clearly isn't wearing a shirt.

DISCUSS!

16. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Also:

Kochanski: "Rimmer?"

Rimmer: "Yes Ma'am?"

Kochanski: "Have sex with someone, and that's an order"

Rimmer: "Yes Ma'am"

Despite Lister giving Rimmer a number, is that when he stumbled into McGruder and had his experience, do we think?

17. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

In Backwards when Lister leaves the invisible cloaked Starbug, Cat follows him, bangs on the hull and inexplicably goes "Eeeey" in a bemused manner. Weird.

Why does Listers toenails and hair grow while in Stasis from 5-6. He spent 3 million years in stasis and it didn't do anything.

How can Rimmer go to the past in Stasis Leak? He's a hologram. He'd have trouble existing beyond Holly's permission. Rimmer is alive in the past so Holly would not allow a hologram of him knocking about. Guess the light bee would work remotely, but still he operates in conjunction with the main computer, a hologram couldn't time travel without the computer responsible for its personality also going and maintaining it as transmitting data involves being in the same space and time?

18. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

In starbug they have a "deep sleep" capability not a full stasis which is why they get the problems, although in Tikka to Ride kryten says something about fixing it so that it can be used for proper stasis, I think. In the long nails episode they definitely mention it being deep sleep and not proper stasis though. Or maybe when they get into it in episode 6.

19. Reznor

Reznor Guest

why does lister eat curry with a tissue? :P

20. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

LOL!

Because he needs both his socks ;-)