To those confused about the origami (spoiler)

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by metalmunki, Apr 12, 2009.

1. metalmunki

metalmunki Skutter

It's another Blade Runner reference.

The guy investigating Decker leaves origami birds around where he's been.

2. jambo87

jambo87 Skutter

yeah mate but what's the significance, is cat up to no good or wha

3. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    ahaaaaaaa. Ive never seen Bladerunner so I wouldnt of known that, ta.

4. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

YOU'VE NEVER SEEN BLADE RUNNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SPANK THAT MAN, SPANK HIM I SAY!!

5. Dukem737

Dukem737 Third Technician

At the risk of a thorough spanking :lol: , I haven't seen Blade Runner, either. So thanks for the help with that homage.

Still doesn't explain how people are coming to the conclusion that they're shaped like squids though. :?

6. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Bloody hell, right homework for you guys, watch Blade Runner, get the 5disc ultimate DVD edition and see Riddles in epic film making form.

Ignore the Cat's 'squid' origami, nonsense, watch the film.

7. TheSinisterMrX

TheSinisterMrX Third Technician

Squid? ThanX!! I'm watching them on YouTube and I couldn't make it what it was.

8. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

I haven't seen it either.

I choose Chloe to carry out the punishment.

9. Brydie68

Brydie68 Skutter

Squids? I thought he was leaving origami red dwarfs!?

10. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

yeah thats what i thought too.

11. grownsomuch09

grownsomuch09 Third Technician

Dang, u too.. lol! There are soo many scenes from that movie already shown, it's confused the heck outta me when they went to see the scientist...for that whole scene until the end...I swear I had seen this episode before..then *Slap* right in the face...I didn't think they were gonna go that far as to make more references to the movie.

Like I've said before... America did a terrible job on trying to re~create Red Dwarf, in my words.."Steal"...so why would these guys wanna make a Red Dwarf version of Blade Runner??? lol! wow, it just doesn't seem to work, and yeah..what a Rip off..both ways!

12. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

All the clues are there. In Bladerunner, the swans were left as mark that a simulant had died. Cat had left the squids in various locations. But why? A trail for squid? Katerina is the squid. She appeared after the last origami was left. Dead? Impossible, for one she is a hard light, and un-knockoutable! And two, she's not a hologram.

There is a theory that because Lister threw the tentacle at Rimmer, and the ink landed on him, he was then infected with the squid. If you look they all have ink on themselves, even Kryten. Katerina appeared directly after the squid had supposedly left. But this could be all just a red herring or squid if you like. This is the beautiful way it's been written, you have two possible endings.

It's hallucinate dream actions being played out, or in fact it is real the cast have been thrown into a cut reality, where they are just a show on television. Either way it's fantastic, a brilliant story! I'm loving it!

13. grownsomuch09

grownsomuch09 Third Technician

yeah, let's hope itz a dream. but really, teasing us with that dimension being able to watch series 9 & 10 when ever they want is totally pushing it! Now they have to make 'em! and they can't stress Blade Runner enough..we get it all ready!!! come up with sumthing new and original. It's like pulling Rocky & Bulwinkle characters out of the T.V. like in that strange movie ~ which couldn't have been a more rip~off of "Who Framed Rogger Rabit." but 10 years of writing came up with this Trip of the century? I was gonna quit smoking, but dang ~ RD really wants me to get high again, lol!

14. THEBRIT

THEBRIT Third Technician

15. replicon1

replicon1 Third Technician

The primary significance of the origami figures in Blade Runner that Gaff (Edward James Olmos) leaves lying around is debatable.
    If you haven't seen Blade Runner yet please don't read any further because this will spoil what is probably the finest science fiction movie you will ever see.
    In Ridley Scott’s 1992 directors cut a dream sequence was added into the film that showed Deckard (Harrison Ford) seated at his piano looking at old photographs. As he drifts off into a sort of reverie he dreams about a unicorn running through a forest. At the end of the film he and Rachael are leaving his apartment and he finds an origami unicorn on the floor. This implies that Gaff (and the police) knows exactly what he is thinking. This relates to an earlier scene where Tyrell explains to Deckard that the Nexus 6 replicants had been implanted with an artificial past. This includes memories belonging to a real person, in the case of Rachael these were Tyrell's niece’s memories of, among other things, a spider building a web outside her window one summer.
    The debate has raged on for years as to whether or not Deckard is also an android/replicant. Ridley Scott asserts that he is and this is why he wanted the Unicorn scene included in the film. Hampton Fancher (the original screenwriter) is firmly against this idea because he thinks that it makes a nonsense of the entire movie. Despite its flaws and gaping plot holes (why exactly do you need these elite detectives with Voight-Kampff machines to detect androids that you already have pictures of) it's still one of my absolute favourites.

16. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M