Turning Points

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by BigOleDummy, Jan 13, 2018.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

No matter how old or young you are there are points in life that change you. Point you in a new direction. Alter the way you see things. Some are "good", others "bad". I put those in parentheses because sometimes good changes lead to bad changes and ANY change in "you" can be significant. I'll list a few and would be interested seeing what has changed YOU , my forum friends. (or enemies as the case may be) Without further ado, here's some of the turning points of my life:

1. The first physical fight I was in. Second grade. Everybody picked on this kid named Author (yeah, I remember his name) because he wore a hearing aid. Back then hearing aids were as big as a pack of cigarettes and had a cord/wire that lead to an earbud as we would call them today. I got tired of it, he wasn't a particular friend or anything I just thought it was wrong. Anyway, I ended up rolling around in the dirt with one of his tormentors. Nobody bothered him after that :-):thumbup:) but I got sent to the principles office, spanked and expelled for a week. The turning point was, I realized that sometimes you have to stand up and be counted but that that could have bad consequences.
    2. The first time I ran away from home. I was 13. I realized I could stand on my own. (I'll try to shorten these up :redface:, if you want clarification just ask)
    3. The first time (no it would not be the last) I was tear gassed and beaten with a nightstick. I lost a lot of faith in our "democratic" system as I lay there blind, choking and getting beat in the gutter. Anti-war demonstration.
    4. The first time I jumped behind a counter wearing an apron. I ended up in the Carnival business for 35 years, changing the whole trajectory of my life.
    5. The first time I smoked Cocaine. Wasted 15 years or so of my life as a slave to that crap. It cost me my wife, my business, my home and damn near my family.

That's some of the turning points of MY life, anyone else have any major turning points?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  2. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

1. I was the kid that was picked on all of school and wouldn't fight back. I kept telling then that I could fight back but wouldn't since reacting sometimes made it worse. Had enough one day and turned slapping one of my bullies across the face. She was so shocked that she never picked on my again and most of the others left me alone after that. It made the rest of school more bearable.

2. Hearing aid thing reminded me of an incident. We had a mentally diabled boy in our class that had a hearing aid. He did used to get picked on a lot and tried to use it to his advantage He tried to beat me up in the middle a tech drawing class. Threw a drawing board at me and knocked my desk into me knocking my chair back and winding me. The chairs are high stool ones. The boys that sat behind me stopped me falling. And got in the way of me getting beat up. The kid with the hearing aid tried to tell the teacher that I attacked him. I was so shocked that I couldn't defend myself. The teachers knew that I wasn't like that and the hearing aid kids got suspended and the teachers realised he wasn't always the victim. I thought I was alone in the world by that point and that no one actually cared so it made an impression that someone would step in and help me.

3. I put my hand up in a meeting to backfil in a job in the middle of nowhere. That lead me getting a apprenticeship in another job in the town I moved to for work. 10 years later I still work for the same department in a different location closer to where I grew up and still really good friends with my old boss and his now wife.

4. I've mentioned this on here before. When I was living away from home it came out that my uncle sexually abused myself, my sisters and his daughter. I have no memory of what he did so I was just as shocked as the rest of the family. It landed him in jail for 2 year but extended family has never been the same. It caused a rift because my parents took the matter to the police with some relatives thinking that the matter should have been delt with by family.

5. 21st birthday I invited the family that we were fighting with and my aunt who is married to my jailed uncle. I was surprised when one of my dads sisters turned up since she was most vocal about not going to the police. She thanked me for inviting her and it was the beginning to a slow rebuild of relationships.

6. Mum having breast cancer when I was in my final year of high school and first year of TAFE. It made me grow up.

7. Mums cancer had returned for a 3rd time. I know its going to change things since things are already changing. I'm just not sure yet if I'll end up stronger as a result or worn down.

3. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

I've said too much on this sort of stuff on here before (though not everything). And it caused me nothing but grief when certain people used it to one-up me in their spiteful games.

I would advise people to be very cautious about sharing too much personal stuff, if it could possibly hurt you in anyway to have someone use it against you, then please please be careful, cos some people are just self absorbed twonks with zero empathy and don't give a damn who they harm with their words.

Abe, jmc2000 and BigOleDummy like this.
  4. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

In November 2013 the company I worked for was taken over. I won't go into the long boring details but this company was a very special one. Everyone was connected, the owner knew my dad, the head of accounts was the MD's wife, the office manager was their neighbour, the sales manager was the son in law of the owner, his best friend from school was the helpline manager, the owners son was in sales, his grandson on the helpdesk.....and more like that. Don't get me wrong these people were all qualified and experienced in their fields but it was really like going to work with your mates every day.

Anyway this takeover happened absolutely out of the blue, no warning. We were just sat down in a meeting room on Monday morning and told about it.

Again I won't go into boring detail, I've already done too much of that but in the year or so leading up to that I'd been talking about eventually becoming a board member and buying shares in the company. I felt utterly betrayed. The company who took over didn't treat me very well and I ended up leaving.

This was a turning point in my life because I had the next 40 years or so mapped out in my head and it was turned upside down on one morning, also since then I have become very paranoid in the work environment, I trust nobody.

5. BigOleDummy

I totally agree with you Nikki but not all turning points in life are bad. Example : One I forgot to post but meant to was the birth of my daughter. Holding such a tiny helpless human that's HALF YOU is a life changing event. I will never forget the first time she smiled at me or the first time she held my finger. I like to think I matured a little that day in the hospital maternity room. Grew both as a man and as a human.

Pembers likes this.
  6. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

When I learned I had glaucoma and was probably going to go blind within five years. I pretty much gave up on life at that point.

Becoming a dad was another turning point

Mother getting breast cancer was another

7. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

If anything, that's putting it mildly!

8. BigOleDummy

Or as Alfred said to Batman about the Joker, " some people just want to watch the world burn". Sad but true.

Nikki the Great and jmc2000 like this.
  9. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

One of turning points in my life is the moment when I once clicked on Red Dwarf on czech internet TV. This changed my life. I started writing about it, translating, etc... and I joined some weird forum!

Kittypaws, Abe and BigOleDummy like this.
  10. BigOleDummy

:-D:-D:-D

11. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

:thumbup: