Unique giggles

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Jul 31, 2016.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Are there any lines, actions, reactions, etc in Red Dwarf which always make you laugh, but that you suspect are only funny to you?

One of these for me is the scene in Quarantine where Kryten gets the fire axe in his back and goes loopy after Lister removes it.

Now I'm sure I'm not the only one to find this funny, but it is specifically one little moment in all of this which really brings out the belly laugh. The odd thing is, I can't explain why I find it so funny, and that is the point of this thread.

It's the moment immediately following the line, "Maybe now I can WIN SELF-DETERMINATION FOR THE SOUTH MOLDAVIAN PEOPLE!" when he says, "Nick-noo-nick-noo-nick-ank."

Something about his face and the way he says it just cracks me up :-D

Can't think of any more right now, but I'm sure I will.

2. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Just thought of another.

Stasis Leak, when Rimmer tries to excuse the fact he's read Lister's diary by saying he at least had the decency to do it behind his back, and Cat says, "He's right. That is definitely the decent thing to do!"

It's not even a funny line, but it's the way his voice sounds and the way the line gets louder and louder with every word, so that he's almost shouting 'do!' at the end.

3. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I can think of several of these - and they're all series I and II Rimmer moments:

- In The End just before the Cat appears, Rimmer telling Lister to 'shut up' when he's not even talking.

- In Balance of Power, Rimmer finding the Skutters in the cinema and yelling 'What are you two doing here??' - it's the sudden change in his voice that makes me laugh!

- Also in BOP, 'I didn't set my motivator!' - I find it amusing how genuinely cross he is with himself over something so trivial.

- That funny little movement he does with his hand as he walks into the drive room (after the yo-yo conversation in Waiting for God - is he pretending to use a yo-yo? I never could tell)

- In Thanks for the Memory, 'I stopped adoring Mantovani and got into Rastabilly Skank - crazy'. He does a funny little nod/fist pump thing as he says 'Rastabilly Skank' that really gets me!

There are probably loads more, mainly funny looks and expressions - Chris Barrie's performance in I and II was just fantastic :-D

4. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Well you've certainly got the idea, but I'm afraid to tell you these make me laugh too :-D

The little hand-yerk thing has always puzzled me slightly too. Maybe it's supposed to be Cat grabbing at string.

5. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

That bit in Future Echoes where Rimmer does that weird jiggly dance whilst saying "Groovy Funky Channel 27" always makes me laugh.

Also in Me2 when Rimmer asks Lister why he's awake so early since it's 5am, and Lister casually points out he hasn't actually been to bed yet.

6. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

The bit in Me[sup]2[/sup] where Cat says "I'm courting". I don't know why, but the way he says it to make it sound really posh, not like Cat at all.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I always wonder if he was told to do that odd dance. He probably was, but it has a strangely improvised look to it.

8. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

I know its not exactly unique but when Holly says 'well you do have a small physical presence' to Rimmer in Meltdown, I crease up at the way Cat looks at him.

9. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

In "Beyond a Joke" when they're in the AR Pride and Prejudice game, and Kryten shows up and starts taking out the girls with blow darts. The visuals and sound effects in this sequence have me on the floor every time, because somehow I always forget that scene is coming as it's usually overshadowed by the tank scene immediately following. However, that particular sequence just gets me every time. I think the sound effects really have a lot to do with it. Nobody else ever laughs as hard at that part as I do.

Also, any of numerous lines from Meltdown. Anything that comes out of Sgt. Presley's mouth is pure gold, as is when what's-his-name threatens to "splash their guts around like the communion wine." Gold. Also, the way Presley calmly hands his weapon to his cohort in order to "show them the way." And the whole Rasputin/Calligula (sp?) part.

10. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I can relate to this. The funniest noise for me in this sequence is the girl who gets snared before Kryten darts her and we just hear this high-pitched "Errghh" noise out of shot :-D

11. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I had a moment where I watched a bit in series 7 where they are eating lobster and they are like 'it's really good krytes, really really nice' and cat throws down his knife and fork and goes 'Re we eating the same stuff?" I remember rewinding on that bit quite a few times on the old VHS. It is a funny line anyway but I found it hysterical.

12. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I love that!

It's the sound of the "thtooph" from Kryten combined with it being followed by "Egh-egh". Always creases up too!

13. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

When Lister says "You know what I really want right now?"

And Rimmer says "A big fat woman with thighs the size of a hippos"

Never fails to make me laugh out loud. There are some lines in Red Dwarf that have truly stood the test of time, more than most shows in fact.

14. FeeBeeBells

FeeBeeBells Deck Sergeant

That's Lieutenant Colonel Mother Theresa

Makes me laugh every single time I rewatch Meltdown.

15. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

It appears on here that some people don't like these two moments in Justice so I would categorise them as unique giggles possibly:-

The bit where Kryten says when watching Rimmer's slide show of his trips down the cargo decks - "Sorry Sirs, my sanity chip has melted..." I love this line and always quote it when I am bored.

The end of the episode with Lister being all philosophical and then falling down a hole. I know it is a more unconventional end for a RD episode but IMHO it is really funny because Lister is being more intelligent for once and that shuts him up so stopping him from boring the crew anymore. It's the way you just don't see it coming next - the surprise - that makes it so humorous too.

I also enjoy that bit in Terrorform when Kryten repeats a space corps directive about not standing there when in mortal danger. I know someone wasn't keen on this once but come on it's series 2 to 6 RD - it's perfect, what is there not to appreciate?

It's been quite a long time since I last watched a RD episode so I can't remember too much more but here's another from one of the Doug Naylor-solo series where as you would obviously expect more of the "unique" giggles come from.

Lister's "How do you have an 83 year old dad?" speech in the series 8 opener. It is quite extremely funny but yes I do agree unfortunately it is ageist too so I can see how that might offend.

Here's another in series 7 I find quite comical. Able taking ages to access his memory and the noise he makes - it's funny to me because I always think about it if I am slow and forget things! Beyond a Joke is not a great RD episode IMHO but it is certainly underrated.

16. EmoSmeg

EmoSmeg Third Technician

The one that I always find funny that seems such a throw away gag is in the 1st episode when Holly is doing his everybody's dead Dave bit, and just mumbles 'wish I'd never let him out in the first place' line. Lovett's delivery was so understated it was brilliant

17. EmoSmeg

EmoSmeg Third Technician

The one that I always find funny that seems such a throw away gag is in the 1st episode when Holly is doing his everybody's dead Dave bit, and just mumbles 'wish I'd never let him out in the first place' line. Lovett's delivery was so understated it was brilliant

18. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Been desperately trying to watch every episode again before XI starts and just finished series VI.

I love how happy and proud Kryten is that they are in deep space in the 15th century. "Isn't it wonderful?"