Universe Challenge

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Jun 8, 2016.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I suspect I'm the only living RD fan who hadn't seen this, but it's absolutely brill, innit? I had a huge grin from beginning to end.

Rather oddly, Danny doesn't say a single word the whole way through (not including his introduction).

The Pinkle Squirmy... debate from another thread is also answered :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVupdOFnZtw

2. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I haven't seen it either. And with my company's (understandable) internet policy I still haven't. But thanks... :-)

3. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I remember that, part of one of the Red Dwarf nights (though I think it's also an extra on one of the DVDs).

I did record Red Dwarf night but only watched this once (along with Can't Smeg, Won't Smeg). Did watch it again recently on YouTube.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Unfortunately, Universe Challenge was never included on any of the the DVDs because of rights issues. Even so, I'm surprised that there are Red Dwarf fans out there who have never seen it since it was part of Red Dwarf Night and has also been on Youtube for years. It's pretty good, though it always annoyed me that they altered the format to five-a-side just to accommodate Chloe Annett. It's much more entertaining than Can't Smeg, Won't Smeg with the annoying loudmouth Ainsley Harriott.

If you keep track of the scores, you'll notice that a large chunk of the show has been edited out (mostly when the fan team is the focus I think). And you'll notice that Craig Charles is the only one on the cast team to answer any of the starter questions.

5. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Yes, I found that quite embarrassing to watch and it was definitely Dwayne Dibbley overkill. The rest of the evening was great though, particularly the fantastic Scutter idents. And Patrick Stewart.

It's quite hard to believe that the BBC devoted a whole night of programmes to Red Dwarf, especially in the light of all that 'no longer interested in the kind of audience...' tot (which didn't make any sense anyway, since Doctor Who was their biggest show at the time those comments were made. What 'kind of audience' did they think watched that? I think it was extremely patronising and insulting to RD fans. Sorry, that was quite a belated rant!).

Anyway, let's hope Dave can come up with something even more spectacular for the 30th anniversary :-)

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, it just goes to show how highly the BBC regarded Red Dwarf back then in the late Nineties. Monty Python's Flying Circus is the only other comedy series I can think of that received this treatment from the BBC (with Python Night in 1999).

Universe Challenge was good stuff, but most of the rest was mediocre. In particular, the Red Dwarf A-Z was a piece of cheaply-made pointlessness and from what I remember most of the bloopers in the smeg ups section had already been seen in the Smeg Out and Smeg Ups VHS releases. I think I'm also correct in saying that they reused some of the dialogue from Smeg Outs for the linking sections with Kryten, Rimmer and Lister.

Returning to the subject of the Red Dwarf A-Z, surely Patrick Stewart is making up that story about almost getting on the phone to his lawyer because of the similarities between Red Dwarf and Star Trek: The Next Generation?

7. MissLee

MissLee Third Technician

I have seen the can't smeg won't smeg but not this one. Very entertaining, but still I wish they wouldn't have cut so much away.

8. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Yes, I'm pretty sure he was sending himself up there with faux luvvie indignation! And besides, there's a case for claiming TNG copied Red Dwarf at times, with the episode 'Clues' sharing similarities with 'Thanks for the Memory' (or so I've heard).

9. FeeBeeBells

FeeBeeBells Deck Sergeant

I have not seen this before. Added to my watch list for when I have time to sit down and watch :-)

10. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I used this as an excuse to have a look at the episode, and it does have a similarity, in that something happens that needs to stay forgotten.

11. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I am very surprised so many have said they have not seen this before. 8)