Unloved by fans, awww :(

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by dodgebizkit, Feb 2, 2013.

1. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

There are a lot of episodes that seem to be universally disliked, although I really like them, and don't see why they aren't loved more than they are.

There are terrible episodes out there too (PETE :x:x:x:x:x:x:x) or episodes that at least I can UNDERSTAND the dislike towards, even if I like/love them (BITR, BTE, the odd bit of RDX that divides fans through its diversity as a series, etc)

So here I will post some episode titles so you can explain to me why you dislike these episodes that I see nothing to dislike about :-)

Waiting for God - A really awesome episode explaining the backstory of Cat while Rimmer gets a bit Quagaared off, some great Rimmer and Lister scenes, brillian episode, how can you not like it???

Beyond a Joke - OK not full of brilliant quips but a decent episode IMO, and a junkie robot to boot.

Balance of Power - A classic stage-play style episode with a lot of Rimmer-Lister fun.

Duct Soup - OK, its a bottle and Kochanski is annoying although very hot, and kryten is annoying but not very hot. There is a lot of funny banter throughout though.

Tikka to Ride - One of my fave episodes, time travel and killing a president, screwing up time and continuity and having to fix it by getting someone to kill themselves, the president himself of all people. Full of plot holes but a brilliant episode and some cannibalism, I love it.

Meltdown - Not the fan-favourite it was intended to be, there are wayyyyy better episides, but come on "they're tying him to a stake... its winnie the pooh" for that, it deserves a medal. I hate winnie the pooh. Quite like tigger though.

Body swap - OK the remastered one felt a bit cutdown, but "ive lost your watch too", and brilliant performances, even from craig who was a terrible actor at the time (not being a trained actor), overall brilliant episode in my opinion.

I think that is about it on the what id call unjustified hate...

The hate is justified for the rest of series 8, although I like it (APART FROM PETE!) and most of series 7, although I like most of them too.

2. whatthesmeg

whatthesmeg First Technician

I'm here , I'm there , I'm everywhere , so beware!
    I don't think there's an episode that I don't like although there are ones that stand out from the others. My perticular loves are Demons & Angels, Better than Life ,Parallel Universe, Legion and back to reality. But I love em all TBH.:P

3. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I must be the only one who likes all the episodes.

4. bdsmelle

bdsmelle First Technician

I LOVE those episodes... And Pete... Not a fan of tikka to ride though but still makes me laugh.

5. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I'll give you Beyond a Joke, Balance of Power, Tikka to Ride and Body swap......but I never really cared for either Duct Soup or Melt Down, there are episodes I dislike more (like Emohawk, Ouroboros, pretty much all of series 8 and BTE and maybe even Dear Dave) but I do feel they were pretty weak for various reasons reasons.

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Second Technician

Meltdown is excellent. Not a favourite, but I've grown to love it. I'd say the same for Bodyswap & Balance of Power.

7. Stephen

Stephen Guest

I don't really desperately hate any episode actually *runs away*

8. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Nope, there's not a single one I would consider "bad" (although 'Only the Good' comes close...) There's obviously some I consider much weaker than others, but I can find something to enjoy in every episode!

9. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

Since this thread got posted twice, just to reiterate what I said in its clone:

10. goldy_T_O_T

goldy_T_O_T Deck Sergeant

Ont Canada eating cat nip and drinking Milk
    Lets just say I have a love/hate relationship with some eps. Most of them during the time where they were with out Rimmer or holly and the time during prison. Still get laughs in those non the less.

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

For me, every episode has its merits. I still find even the ones I dislike the most (Kryten and Parallel Universe) to be just about watchable. Though the only times I've watched them in recent years are when I've been going through the whole series from first to last episode and when I bought Bodysnatcher.

12. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Balance of power is easily in my top ten. And I love waiting for god

I'm surprised people have mentioned meltdown, I really like this episode.

Duct soup, meh, never bothered me as a particularly bad episode but nothing particularly genius about it.

Tikka to ride I really like and find it a rather nice little story.

I have accept Pete is pretty bad stuff and ouroboros was just boring.

13. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Slightly unrelated, but I often wonder if I'm the only one who actually prefers the rawness and feel of the first two series, dare I say it, before Kryten? *

* I honestly love the character of Kryten, but series 1 and 2 are very special to me.

14. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

My series order would go 2, 5, 4, 3, 1, X, 6, 7, BTE, 8.
    So if I averaged the first two they would rank somewhere near the top, around 3rd place.

I would personally say that I rank all of series 1-5 equally.

15. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I wouldn't say I prefer Series 2 to later series, but that's where Red Dwarf really took off for me. (I think I actually saw later series episodes first, but I'm judging the Red Dwarf series in a chronological order here as I saw them on DVD, rather than how I saw them broadcast on the Telly.)

I think Series 1 is one of my least favoured series though,(not including 'Future Echoes' which is up there among the best episodes ever) but we're only talking comparatively speaking here. It's still rather good.

16. tongue_tied99

tongue_tied99 Third Technician

I love bodyswap!! one of my favs but mainly because Chris looks really nice in listers leather jacket...there are bits of meltdown I like and sorry but I can't stand episodes with kochanski in them -_-

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

No need to be sorry, although I like her. Just of curiosity, do your dislike episodes include those starring Clare Grogan?

18. RebelWabbit

RebelWabbit Second Technician

tikka to ride was awesome for an american viewer, it was funny seeing kennedy get spiraled through time to the point he assassinates himself just to get causality back to normal. Duct Soup was particularly an episode to sort of introduce all of the character personalities colliding together in a very tight but gossiping state. It was actually quite a meaningful episode in all honesty...;-)

19. DaveHOz

DaveHOz Third Technician

I liked it, not only for the whole Quagaar thing but for all the satire on religious hypocrisy.

Too much slapstick for my liking, what with Rimmer being attacked by Peterson's arm, etc.

I'm afraid I'm one of those people, unlike the Alan Alda character in Crimes in Misdemeanors, who doesn't believe that tragedy becomes funnier over time. At least not when it comes to someone many people still revere, despite his faults.

Also, I didn't like how it negated Rimmer's apparent heroism at the end of "Out of Time".

I love Winnie-the-Pooh! Now, if it had been Elmo from Sesame Street...

I liked the first seven minutes dealing with the bomb... I wish they could have just stretched that into a whole episode.

20. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I love the bomb gag. Totally brilliant use of tension and silliness and impending doom, with the final reveal downright hilarious.