Unloved by fans, awww :(

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by dodgebizkit, Feb 2, 2013.

1. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

There are a lot of episodes that seem to be universally disliked, although I really like them, and don't see why they aren't loved more than they are.

There are terrible episodes out there too (PETE :x:x:x:x:x:x:x) or episodes that at least I can UNDERSTAND the dislike towards, even if I like/love them (BITR, BTE, the odd bit of RDX that divides fans through its diversity as a series, etc)

So here I will post some episode titles so you can explain to me why you dislike these episodes that I see nothing to dislike about :-)

Waiting for God - A really awesome episode explaining the backstory of Cat while Rimmer gets a bit Quagaared off, some great Rimmer and Lister scenes, brillian episode, how can you not like it???

Beyond a Joke - OK not full of brilliant quips but a decent episode IMO, and a junkie robot to boot.

Balance of Power - A classic stage-play style episode with a lot of Rimmer-Lister fun.

Duct Soup - OK, its a bottle and Kochanski is annoying although very hot, and kryten is annoying but not very hot. There is a lot of funny banter throughout though.

Tikka to Ride - One of my fave episodes, time travel and killing a president, screwing up time and continuity and having to fix it by getting someone to kill themselves, the president himself of all people. Full of plot holes but a brilliant episode and some cannibalism, I love it.

Meltdown - Not the fan-favourite it was intended to be, there are wayyyyy better episides, but come on "they're tying him to a stake... its winnie the pooh" for that, it deserves a medal. I hate winnie the pooh. Quite like tigger though.

Body swap - OK the remastered one felt a bit cutdown, but "ive lost your watch too", and brilliant performances, even from craig who was a terrible actor at the time (not being a trained actor), overall brilliant episode in my opinion.

I think that is about it on the what id call unjustified hate...

The hate is justified for the rest of series 8, although I like it (APART FROM PETE!) and most of series 7, although I like most of them too.

2. SgtSmileyUK

SgtSmileyUK Console Officer

doesnt apply to me - I have no problems with any of them- Make mine a dwarf anytime.
    (make some more please
    (make it a soap opera so craig will cross back) and we get to watch it everyday)
    (kidnap the streets writers- they have some hilarious plots.)
    not enough confidence? its only negativity that holds you back.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

My taste is often completely opposite to most fans' and I love Beyond a Joke and Duct Soup and don't mind Balance of Power, Waiting For God and Meltdown.

As for the other two, why do you think they're unloved? Tikka is often cited as one of the best episodes from after series 6, and Bodyswap never appeared to be unpopular to me.

4. Stephen

Stephen Guest

I like all those mentioned above.

5. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

I have to admit I didn't even realise Meltdown was supposed to be unpopular until I started coming on here regularly, I thought it was pretty good myself.

Waiting For God I tend to see as a bit of a Nothing episode as in nothing really seems to happen in it, it's not an episode I dislike though, but it is the one from Series II I'm generally more inclined to skip than the others.

For the rest on there, again there aren't any I really dislike, but then there's no episodes or series of Red Dwarf that I dislike or hate in the first place, there are stronger series/episodes and weaker ones but not that I actually dislike.

6. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

Duct Soup and Beyond A Joke was the best episodes of Series VII in my opinion, the fewer highlights
    of Series VII, the 2 standout episodes.

Meltdown is probably the most underrated episode in the entire Series, I think it's a really good episode,
    I have it number 27 in the top 61 episodes only due to fantastic episodes, when most would probably have it
    in the bottom 10, 51-61

7. Ianjk78

People have different opinions, I quite enjoyed Pete for Series VIII,
    I know it wasn't your usual Red Dwarf and things was going out of whack
    in the later Series but I thought this was one of the better later Series
    episodes.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I love Pete, though I can understand why so many people hate it.

9. Ianjk78

Yeah I know what you mean it was a bit out of whack for some fans but I enjoyed it, I think Pete and Cassandra
    is my favorite 2 from Series VIII, and I enjoyed Krytie Tv too.

10. Ianjk78

Demons And Angels is another excellent underrated episode that no one seems to mention.
    It's in my top 20 all time episodes

11. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The Meltdown thing is funny - it came down at the bottom of a fan poll about twenty years ago for some inexplicable reason, but ever since then, all I've ever basically seen said about it is "Why do people hate Meltdown? It's great!" It is, of course, great.

Never been a big fan of Demons & Angels, though. I get what it's doing, I just find the feel of it uncomfortable.

12. dodgebizkit

D & A- I think the idea of "the best they could possibly be" being annoying morons that dance and walk into gunfire is stupid, it should have had lister as a suave sophisticated lawyer or dr with a brilliant mind, a great backstory Of a happy Jim and bexley backstory, cat also somewhat of a charismatic charmer, but maybe who puts people first and fashion last, kryten a hight tech droid with an iq to battle Holly's and rimmer to be a pre-ace Ace-type.

I see they were going for the comedy with them being a load of "high idiots" but it would have been better for their actual full potential to not mean they end up as stupid bafoons.

I still really like the episode though, and wonder what chocolate and curry were like on the high ship :P

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Yes. I didn't even know that it was considered poor until I heard Craig mention it in the commentaries.

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Thing is, I think the intention of being 'lighter/higher' was to also be pure and innocent. Their intellect is high from a knowledge perspective but their common sense is minimal due to the fact that requires an element of suspicion, and imagining a worse case scenario, traits that could be considered dark, although not evil of themselves. Hence assuming a grenade is a gift and being stabbed is an accident. And of course the Lights are altruistic to a fault.

Conversely that means the dark others probably inherited traits that would be considered positive from a survival POV although they had other major weaknesses of their own. Overall, despite lacking the higher knowledge of their higher selves, the lads were ultimately arguably superior being a blend of light and dark.

Your examples of alternative light others* would require an element of darkness to function. Particularly the lawyer. I don't necessarily mean 'dark' to equate with 'evil' or even vaguely naughty but also an awareness of these things.
    I agree that the buffoonery of the Light selves was a bit over the top although I found them amusing.

*it occurs to me that I've unconsciously borrowed terminology from the Nightwatch books/film albeit using them in a slightly different way.

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I love Demons and Angels. It's dark and frequently uncomfortable to watch (such as the tarantula-eating scene), but I think it's one of the most involving and imaginative storylines that Rob and Doug wrote.

16. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I love all of the above mentioned episodes too. I don't think such a thing exists as "universally disliked" Red Dwarf episode - not even Pete really, which I don't think is anywhere near as bad as some hardened fans make out nowadays (but not at the time of it's airing apparently - series 8 was a pretty popular series at the time.)

Waiting for God: I like this ep, I just wish there could've been more of it is all (more of Cat's back story mostly) but over all it's a very enjoyable episode for me. Apparently Rob and Doug were not overly pleased with the end result though...which may or may not have influenced some fan's opinions of the show. I can't personally think of much no pick at in that episode though.

Balance Of Power: A most triumphant episode in my view. Some great flash back scenes of Lister's old buddies and other crew members, some classic bunk room banter, funny lines from Holly, Western-watching Skutters and...Fish!

I mean, What's not to like? :-)

Duct Soup: I think this, along with 'Blue' were the only series 7 episode my American gal wasn't overly impressed with. Although other than that she was baffled as to why some fans dislike the series, as am I really (lack of Rimmer aside). Although she didn't hate the episode, and her 10 year old son enjoyed it, along with the whole series muchly. Which was an especially nice surprise for me as I was worried he would be put off by the lack of his favourite character, Rimmer.

I've always liked Duct Soup personally, mostly due to the characterisation/dialogue scenes. But then I love so much about series 7 as a whole.

Tikka to Ride: Classic with a capital CLASS! I'd have to get pretty pedantic and nit-picky to find fault in this one (baring in mind this is a sci-fi comedy show!).

Meltdown: Not one of my personal favourites but a fun episode with a good message, some really funny dialogue and a great supporting cast.

As others have said I've not seen much disliking of this episode, other than the afore mentioned survey and what Craig said on the DVD. I think my only personal nit-picky complaint would be that it seemed to be quite restricted by the budget, although that's not the fault of GNP. But it would've been nice to have seen the actual theme park it was supposed to be, as opposed to an empty field. But yeah over all I personally feel it's a well written episode, but I feel that it's perhaps one of those episodes that works better after the first viewing.

Although having said that, the introcast peeps seem to have enjoyed it upon first viewing, although I think they found the war element a bit uncomfortable at times.

Body Swap: Who doesn't like Body Swap?

Weirdos, that's who! ;-) In all seriousness though, this episode is simply brimming over with lovability in my view. It easily makes my top 5 favourite episodes of all time.

17. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Other than Duct Soup I liked all of those episodes and Duct Soup at least had the funny Kryten dream sequence.

As for Meltdown, I don't think it is considered a bad episode anymore. I imagine that at the time it was simply too radically different a slice of Dwarf for people to accept. All those extras, the crew getting the ability to beam to planets. Basically a lot of the types of things that might also annoy modern Dwarf fans. The difference is that Meltdown is wall to wall hysterical from start to finish.

18. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Duct Soup is horrible! :x

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Despite all its weak lines and the poor characterisation, I really love Duct Soup. At its heart is a good, solid concept.

If it had been a series 3 to 5 era storyline set on Red Dwarf with Rimmer instead of Kochanski and some good, sharp humour, I think it could have been a classic.

20. dodgebizkit

Duct soup is good!:-D