Unseriously serious review of the Blu-rays

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Asclepius, Jan 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

I got my Red Dwarf Blu-Rays yesterday. Here are my feelings and opinion on them in an (un)serious way.

When I bought them, I had to look at the discs immediately. I was on bus, holding new Blu-Ray player, looking inside the package of Blu-Rays and trying not to lose anything. It probably seemed weird, but I still wasn't the weirdest person on the bus. For example, the driver told some quite old lady off for coughing and she became very angry...
    The rest of my journey was fine and my shiny things survived it.

That was little story, here comes the review:

Packaging
    - First of all, it isn't as massive as I supposed.
    - Like @Bluey it's more purple than blue.
    - I like the style. It reminds me of Red Dwarf novels in Czech Republic (but there are sadly no boobs on it).
    - It tries to look retro (because now everything tries to look retro) and it has some texture not just on the backgroung, but also on the logo, which looks quite weird, but still good.
    - WHY ARE THEY USING THE UGLY LOGO WITH W AND A CROPPED AGAIN?! :sulk:
    - The rear side includes collection of photos "in planetoids". It doesn't look bad, but why is there photo from Remastered?! :sulk:
    - Feature length 1466 mins? That's the length of the episodes, maybe not even that. WTF?

[​IMG]

- There are pictures of Red Dwarf (I-IV) and Starbug (V-VIII) on the disc booklets. (See, @RECTUMfacedPYGMY, nobody cares about Blue Midget.) Starbug looks quite good, apart from its legs and too big front section, but Red Dwarf is horrible. I suppose somebody made it in one of those programmes for making 3D models and he spent on it about 5 minutes. Absolutely no attention to detail, just one half of the ram scoop...:sulk:
    - The booklets have some weird color shade on the planetoid behind Starbug/Red Dwarf. It looks dirty, like if somebody has used it as a toilet paper.
    - The discs hold together with something very similar to duct tape. It holds, but I'm affraid it wouldn't last long.
    - Inside the first booklet there's Bodysnatcher disc and leaflet called LEAFLET0441. I'l get later to the disc later, its package looks fine. Mr. LEAFLET0441 is just advert to the other Red Dwarf Blu-Rays (BTE-XII). It contains some quotes of journalists about how good it is. Probably all of them are about XII. No one would ever say this about BTE.
    - And than we have the collectors booklet, which is super.

Overall, I like the package. Couple of things are bad, but it looks good, when the Red Dwarf picture is not seen.
    To be continued.

2. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Discs
    - They look all almost the same.
    - Only differences are the small planetoids are changing every series. The design looks very good.
    - What more to say about them, let's look at the BBFC classification:
    - Whole set is classified as 15, which is weird, because all the DVD were 12.
    - Most of the discs are 12, only exception is series III, which is 15. (It was 12 on DVD.)
    - The only PG disc is Series VI - Disc 2 (Extras). I'd like to see those people, who post photos of their little children watching RD, if somebody from BBFC came and said they could only watch making of series VI. :lol::lol:

3. ldsbonweb1

ldsbonweb1 Third Technician

Wtsmeg?! Why 15?!

4. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Menus
    - When you insert your disc to a player, you see some copyright stuff and (almost) new BBC Video animation.
    - Then the menu opens. The menus look almost the same on all Blu-rays. It's very similar to RDXI & XII menus. People complained it's no CGI or whatever back then, but it's the best thing you would except from a menu - simple and clear.
    - I like the style with frames styled as parts of Red Dwarf or Starbug (depends on which series are you watching) and compilation of clips playing in the middle.
    - Bodysnatcher disc has similar menu, but it's blue and there's a static picture of space with Red Dwarf in the middle. It's the newest (X onwards) model, which is NOT in any of the episodes on the Blu-rays. Behind the picture of space you can see CGI version of the I-II bunkroom as seen on Bodysnatcher Collection cover. Well, it looks weird, but I like it.
    - The DVDs with Extras are the same as cca 15 years ago. Including the menus. The CGI has aged a bit, but the biggest problem is their (un)clarity. Sometimes it's very hard to find something quickly... They look good, but they are not very usefull these days.

5. TongueTiedMateyBoy

TongueTiedMateyBoy Third Technician

I really must get off my backside and get this! :-D

6. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

You should. I love them despite the negative reviews. Yes, there's this encoding error with some episodes, but it's not so big problem for me.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  7. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

These are the sort of ramblings we have come to expect from @BigOleDummy

8. TongueTiedMateyBoy

Encoding error? I must’ve missed that one :redface:

9. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Yes, series III and second half of series V look quite grainy. There's comparsion video on Dailymotion. It doesn't look so bad IMO.

10. TongueTiedMateyBoy

When I buy the set I’ll throw in my penny’s worth!

11. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Before I lose credibility from praising series 3's picture too much though (in another thread) I must say Bodyswap and Timeslides were definitely poor transfers. While still watchable, both were quite grainy and not of the standard that should really be expected for even an upscale from tape.

Still as The Last Day was probably the best Blu-ray version for series 3 as there was not really any grainy parts - although I was watching on my upstairs 32 inch TV for that show and that maybe masked any issues as it is a smaller screen - I do not think series 3 apart from shows 4/5 is as terrible as people have stated.

I wonder though is it possible that due to a Virgin Media engineer making sure both my TVs have the optimal picture settings - even though both sets are fairly old - is that why I have not noticed severe quality issues apart from Bodyswap/Timeslides which are indeed poor? Not that the best settings should be an excuse for an encoding error, however.

12. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Series I and II look great, now I came to the (infamous) series III. I've watched first three episodes so far and I don't think they look so bad. Backwards looks definitely better than Remastered version broadcasted in the Czech Republic, Marooned looks almost same as the Remastered and Polymorph too, apart from some scenes in driving room, where wall lights produce some corolful dots...

I'm going the watch the other half today, hope it will look almost as good as these episodes.

13. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Supply Officer

This is like 95 bloody dollars on Ebay

14. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Now watching series 4, looks good. Thank you.

Pembers likes this.
  15. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

The Extra DVDs are absolutely same as their original releases, including music cues, Easter Eggs and weblinks (I don't know if they work, because I've only wathced them on my TV so far.) Plus there are audio book chapters which also aren't mentioned in the article. Why? This makes me think BBC hasn't had rights to release them, but has also been too lazy to make new sets without them, so they HAVE released it, but kept secret, what's been there.
    The set contains things, which aren't mentioned in the collectors booklet. This makes the booklet bit useless. If I want to know, what REALLY is on the Extra discs, I always look at description here for original DVDs.

16. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

I must mention how good looked the "Kryten interface" in Terrorform. It was so sharp it almost killed my eyes.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  17. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

The first 3 episodes of series 5 are - along with series 8 - the top upscales and the most fitting of the description "glorious Blu-ray" IMHO. The swamp in Terrorform looks incredible too. Wow, they must have had superior source material to make it as fantastic as this.

18. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

The last 3 eps of V didn't look as bad as I expected. Sadly, Back to Reality looked worst of them.