update on the new series

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Apologies for that. We have such a large number of people on the mailing list that it takes a good few hours for emails to filter out to everyone - and of course, we couldn't START sending them before the news was announced here!

We also didn't anticipate that the tickets would go so quickly - we thought there'd be a good few hours in it, at the very least!

There may still be opportunities to get to the filming somehow, though. As ever, keep your eyes on reddwarf.co.uk for our 11.30am Friday updates to hear about anything first.

2. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

It seems this ticket company understandably over subscribe to tickets to make sure of a full studio, but in this case I can't imagime many not turning up as it sold out so to speak in less than 2 hours. Sooooo, if places are oversubbed and there is no guarentee of getting in with a ticket (assuming i'm lucky enought to get one) I will be coming all the way from Newcastle and having to stay overnight, has anyone seen how early you need to turn up to get near the front of the queue.

3. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Anytime friday morning...the week before!!

4. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

They usually do for shows. They won't have this time, I don't think. GNP are pretty confident that ticket holders will show up!

5. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

As you might notice, Seb's recently been to Shepperton for...something. I forget what.

6. menacexp

menacexp Second Technician

I'm in Canada and if i get tickets i'm flying in to see a live taping.

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I'm not fussed about scrambling for tickets. I'm the sort of viewer who would rather watch the finished product. I'm sure it'll be interesting watching it live but I also tend to get a bit uncomfortable watching anything among a group of "superfans". I also tend to enjoy something more if I'm not analysing how its being put together.

8. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

hang on hang on, I've been posting on the board for years.. i have proven loyalty, does this count for nothing? These people cant come and take the tickets claiming it is their dream when i have never seen them on the board before. All im saying is, LET ME GOOOOOO.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Same here :-)

10. Dwarfer_Stu

Dwarfer_Stu Second Technician

im surprised it actually did sell out so fast since the site was running so slow. I was on at 2pm ready to book my tickets and the page just wouldnt load for like 2 hours then i had to go out. Just managed to get on the waiting list just now :/

11. ori-STUDFARM

Nearly everyone I know who got in before the waiting list (but still not guaranteed tickets) got their application in via either email or Twitter due to the site being down. On one hand, I'm pleased for them. Just a shame I didn't find out about this method until it was too late. I'm still hoping fpr disease to wipe out most of the human race in the hope that it frees up some seats :-)

12. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Code:

The whole process was an utter disgrace!!!

13. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Code:

The whole process was an utter disgrace!!!

14. ori-STUDFARM

Not really though, was it? For one, nobody yet knows if they were successful or not.

Secondly, they have been very responsive to anyone's tweets and emails after the servers crtashed (Or so I hear. I'm no longer a twitterer).

There was one failing and that was the servers crash itself. Whilst lousy for myself and others who probably got in too late. It is a good sign of how popular this show is going to be.

It only appears to be an utter disgrace to those who, like myself, probably won't have got in early enough to get hold of tickets. I'm sure those who are successful in obtaining tickets will say it was quite the opposite of a disgrace.

15. ori-STUDFARM

...or at least one year :P

16. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

or since 2001. Ask bluey.

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Look whats done is done, lets just be glad we will be getting new red dwarf next year

18. shireknight

shireknight Third Technician

Going back to the new series, does anyone with a bit of behind the scenes knowledge know what sort of viewing figures Dave executives will be looking for in order to give the green light for another series?

19. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Dave's figure generally average something like 4-500,000, with a peak around 800,000. Back to Earth pickled up 2-3 million. While it stands to reason that achieving the same again would be considered a spectacular result, the details are much more complicated. Does that audience stay? Do they follow into other shows? (An old Dwarf episode picked up over a million simply by following Back to Earth.) Does the production budget match the expectations - i.e. if they spend the same again, would that cost be recouped?

More importantly, Red Dwarf isn't wholly funded by a broadcaster, and wasn't even for the majority of its BBC days. BBC Worldwide and 2entertain's involvement will also matter - how does it sell overseas (Back to Earth was too brief for most PBS stations to take it, apparently) and how do the DVDs do?

Then there's UKTV's channel and business strategy, GNP's needs for the quality of the show, cast availability... All in all, ratings alone won't decide the future of the show.

20. menacexp

menacexp Second Technician

I watched it on PBS back in the 90's. Fell in love with the show, tried to find it online years later and when the DVD's came out bought them all on amazon.ca. I just seen the dvd set for sale last week, here in Canada, at an actual store (HMV)for the first time. I think the show will do well and season X will definitely hit the million mark and sales for the the dvd/blu-ray after the series will sell well i'm sure. I'm hoping we will get 2 or 3 more seasons after season X before ratings die down to the point they cancel/finish it off. Hopefully they will eventually get a movie out as well.
    :P

additional: I hope it never dies down or gets cancelled...just sayin'