verdict on back to earth

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mrsmith, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Fantastic, baby!!!

2. Flatbattery

Flatbattery Skutter

3. MatthewL

MatthewL Skutter

Absolutely awesome :-D

More, please!!!!

4. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    Um you do know Rob hasn't really worked on Red Dwarf since series 6 (edited to correct typo)? Doug Naylor is the one who has been writing since then.

5. Deckard72

Deckard72 Skutter

Good Quality Red Dwarf, lets get in back on the TV :-)

6. mikeyg77

mikeyg77 Skutter

GOOD

Generally, the storyline was poor. However there were some real golden nuggets, such as cat describing the difference between male and female sqids and lister saying how he's glad he is not Craig Charles. LOL

I want more as long as they stop with the cliffhangers that may have a conclusion e.g. the end of season eight.

7. Deckard72

Deckard72 Skutter

Good Quality Red Dwarf, lets get in back on the TV :-)

8. Julia

Julia Catering Officer

9. The_Phantom_Monk

The_Phantom_Monk Skutter

10. Smegzilla

Smegzilla Skutter

I'm going to say it was:

Good.

I watched it all the way through at once this evening though so that may have some bearing on how I enjoyed it. I got the feeling that if I'd been left hanging on at the end of each episode I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much, being as they seemed very short for Red Dwarf episodes.

The first episode was very "meh" to me, then by the end I was enjoying it, so overall good.
    I was a little peeved at zero explanation for how they miraculously survived after the end of series 8 though (alternate dimensions? Meh).

11. Chappie269

Chappie269 Skutter

Far from what I was expecting and certainly not as good. I think the whole stryline of the characters being brought in to a reality where they are just tv characters was a really bad idea. There were however some great moments. Carbug for example was a golden moment for me lol I did also enjoy the end even though it was re-using an old idea/story. I was also really impressed with Craig Charle's acting. Maybe his recent corrie performances helped him out there?

I'm far from put off by BTE. I certainly want to see a new season of Red Dwarf but please not more reality crap, lets keep it Red Dwarf eh?

12. deepSnoozer

deepSnoozer Third Technician

Good, like i said one of my top 10 favourite Red Dwarf Epsiodes!

13. HollyHopper

HollyHopper Skutter

GOOD

But needs Holly and Kochanski and a full new series.

14. wedders

wedders Skutter

15. rich006

rich006 Skutter

Awesome Episode

Bring on season 9 and 10 if the hints were missed. I have to say that at first like most people the lack of a studio audience was a shock and tbh the first 2 episodes were not as good as i hopped thanfully with possible the nicest played twist in a while the show was reborn.

16. Noodle

Noodle Skutter

GOOD!

Thought is was a good clever plot. There were little bits I didn't like, but not much, and bits I liked alot. I thought it was very good!

17. Jtherva

Jtherva Skutter

Good, especially the last episode.

18. scortex

scortex Skutter

Smegtastic! Really enjoyed it, Bring it back.

19. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

20. tdarben

tdarben Skutter

Good.
    (but... I understand some people who say the opposite because the episode required you to also be a fan of Blade Runner. I watched it in one afternoon; and in a quick format it worked great, if I had watched it over 3 days it would have suffered, as it takes atleast 1 1/2 episodes to get up to pace and each episode does not have enough of a plot arc individually, that is why so many people didnt like ep 1, I have to admit myself I was concerned after the credits to episode 1 began to roll. By the 3rd episode it proved itself as the most intelligent of all the red dwarf episodes and episode 1 became just part of the build up (as it should have been) but again..you need to know Blade Runner thoroughly or 70% of the best jokes become odd moments.) I work in the film industry in spec effects so Im biased, my wife on the otherhand loathes scifi but she sat through it and said she enjoyed, lucky I made her watch Blade Runner only a fortnight ago.
    I really would not be surprised if Naylor productions rejigs this and joins all three episodes into 1, that would be very wise.
    one little tiny thing.. a request to Naylor.. "the best episodes focus on the love/hate relationship of lister and rimmer, when you pull away from that.. that series stumbles"