Video Nasties

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold the red nosed reindeer, Jun 26, 2018.

1. neilold the red nosed reindeer

neilold the red nosed reindeer Flight Co-Ordinator

A good watch. This is what got me into horror. a fn interesting snapshot of the era, and some of the infamous movies of the time. truly something that gives me a sense of nostalgia

Youtube link

The last fifteen minutes are also a time capsule of the views of the future of the internet around the year this was filmed (2000). It's interesting to hear opinions back them of what the internet would become, and how it would or wouldn't be controlled. Some now seem prophetic, others ridiculous. Either way, it's an interesting glimpse to the earlier days of the net, even if you don't like the subject of the movie

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2018
  2. Cloud (Christmas)

Cloud (Christmas) Flight Co-Ordinator

Its been a while since I heard the term "video nasty" it always brings to mind the dodgy looking VHS rental at the back of the corner shop.

Nicoca-cola Truck likes this.
  3. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

I take it you've seen 'Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide' @neilold ?

4. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Reminder that for content like this, you should link with a content warning, not embed directly in the forum.

Subject line inappropriate as well... but you knew that.

5. neilold the red nosed reindeer

I think I have undies, I've seen several films on the subject, and on censorship also. I'll keep my eyes open for it, although I suspect it will be nothing I'm not already aware of

6. neilold the red nosed reindeer

That brings back many happy memories for me cloud. The video boxart was often a lot more interesting than the films themselves

7. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

I'm not suggesting for educational purposes, I'm suggesting for entertainment value. Its not so much a film as a package and they are real nostalgic labours of love. There are two in total.

The first one contains an in depth documentary on the initial phenomenon followed by trailers of every single one of the 'official' video nasties (ie the 39 movies that qualified for the 1983 DPP list) and a talking head commentary and discussion of each one from fans, critics and notable figures in horror. The total running time is 780 minutes!!! And it comes in a VHS style box with collectible postcards covers and a book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Video-Nast...&qid=1530037703&sr=8-1&keywords=video+nasties

The second one contains a documentary that covers the aftermath of the initial phenomenon and details the lesser-known 'second wave panic' that occurred in the early 90's where the likes of the Daily Mail and The Sun basically attempted to link horror movies to real life murders and were screaming out headlines like "For the sake of all your children, burn the video nasties". This one contains complete trailers for all the 'secondary' nasties (ie the 33 movies that were placed on the original list but failed to be prosecuted) Once again with accompanying discussion from pundits and people within the horror community. It also comes in a VHS style box, it also has collectible postcards and a book and a running time of a whopping 840 minutes!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Video-Nast..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=FV64CG14AR1TW7VQRK9W

If I were you, I'd save your giro up for a year and buy them.

8. neilold the red nosed reindeer

Looks cool thanks, I'm not sure I haven't seen it mind

9. neilold the red nosed reindeer

Just ordered it. Have you seen it undies? What is your, spoiler free, opinion of it? Also is a subject you are interested in, and do you actually remember seeing such films on the shelves and the original furore?

10. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

Yes I've got both of them. They're excellent.

No I would have been 6 years old during the original purge. I probably learned about them when I was 13 and me and my mates started tracking them down via small-ads in the back of Dark Side magazine. They were actually p*ss easy to get despite everything, I mean we were clueless pre-teens in a small northern market town and we could pretty much get any one we wanted just by sending postal orders! They were all copies of copies of copies of course but the ultra grainy quality made them seem even more dangerous!

I think subject wise its both fascinating and important. This was a moral panic based on nothing by lies and laws pushed through by glory hunters like Graham Bright whose reasons were utterly disingenuous. Here's a fun clip of him explaining how research has proven that the video nasties had damaging psychological effects on... dogs... :-|

11. neilold the red nosed reindeer

That seems both bizarre and ridiculous. I was around for the furore originally. That's what makes me such a fan. Rose glassed nostalgia. Like you, hunting down the movies was often better than getting it, there was definitely a forbidden element to it.

However I do agree that we are influenced by what we see in movies and tv. Who hasn't seen a kung fu or war movie as a kid, then pretended to be Bruce Lee or have a toy gun battle. I am very much against censorship in all forms. But only the naive would claim that tv doesn't influence our lives.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  12. neilold the red nosed reindeer

I also liked the dark side but, obvs, fangoria was horror mag king. I'm surprised you never joined in the masses of horror threads I have done in the past undies, unless you have, or you weren't on here, in which case, well done and sorry.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  13. neilold the red nosed reindeer

14. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

15. Nicoca-cola Truck

Nicoca-cola Truck Flight Co-Ordinator

Well I certainly never! I'm thinking that pretending to be Bruce Lee has the potential to get a bit racist :lol:

16. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

That's why whenever I watched one, I'd pretend to be Bruce Forsyth instead.

Nicoca-cola Truck likes this.
  17. Nicoca-cola Truck

Nicoca-cola Truck Flight Co-Ordinator

[​IMG]

18. neilold the red nosed reindeer

What you mean you lay down dead?

19. neilold the red nosed reindeer

Out of interest undies, what horror movies do you like, and is there any you are looking forward to?

20. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

My DVD shelf contains the complete collection of Arrow, 88 films and Vinegar Syndrome releases. But I also like quite good films too!

I'm looking forward to anything that doesn't describe itself as being a 'throwback to...' or 'a love letter to...'