VII Vs. VIII

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by doggett, Mar 29, 2009.

1. doggett

doggett Second Technician

Which do you prefer ?
    I'm not gonna knock VIII because it's still alot better than most sitcoms, but my biggest gripe with it is the fact that it just doesn't feel like RD. With VII they're still alone in space, it's kinda bleak and depressing, which I like. Bringing back the crew was a big no-no for me.

Oh, and Kochanski looked cooler in her red outfit, and the plots were more sci-fi.

2. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

I agree that VII is better. The Dwarf feel is lost somewhat in VIII, although even with the entire crew back the main cast are still somewhat secluded away in prison, just FAR less so. Also, I like VII because it has some decent stories, even though the laughs are a bit thinner on the ground.

3. Dukem737

Dukem737 Third Technician

I've always felt that VII was infinitely better than VIII.

With VII, I could find something to love about each episode. Tikka to Ride, Stoke Me a Clipper, Duct Soup, Blue; all genius in my opinion (and yes I know I'm pretty alone on that one :lol: ).

Series VIII was almost wholly unenjoyable for me. I say almost because Cassandra is among my favourite episodes (mainly because Geraldine McEwan is amazing :-D), and strangely doesn't feel similar to any other episode in the series.

4. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I don`t really like either series (and don`t think they are better than most other shows sadly) but I prefer Series VIII.

One reason would be that Rimmer appears in each ep and Kochanski is much less prominent.

Also, I would agree that Cassandra is a decent episode. It`s ironic, to me at least, that much of that episode would have worked fine without the extended cast and yet it is by far the best ep of the series.

5. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

I'm a fan of series VIII. People say it was too slapstick but I felt it was an entertaining new direction. And I liked the crew being back. They'd been alone in space for seven series and it gave them more situations to play with. It didn't always work, but it freshened up the whole thing for me. They found a way to keep the regular cast from simply being part of the crew, so the stories were still centred around them. Please don't throw live beetles at me.

6. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Back when they were on I started off by loving the first couple of episodes of VII then really disliking it. When VIII was on, although I still didn't feel it was great, I prefered it to VII. For one thing it had Rimmer all the way through and the audience, and the crew being back alive didn't bother me one bit.

But after recently watching them all again, I've changed my mind. VII was better. There are so many crap jokes in VIII it just bothers me to watch it now, but seeing the old bunkroom and having Rimmer back must've blinded me. VII wasn't actually that bad considering that the Rimmer/Lister relationship wasn't in many episodes.

7. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I can`t disagree with the comments about the number of bad jokes in Series VIII. I don`t remember who the script editor was but they didn`t do much of a job imo. Hopefully the BtE scripts will be much tighter. The `Saturday night TV` gag is weak sadly but I still remain hopeful for the specials.

8. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

I must agree with that. I think last thre seasons are worst than other, but as you said, still alot better than most sitcoms.

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I liked the prison and canaries idea in 8. I also liked the bunks scenes with Rimmer and Lister, particularly in Back in the Red. I also liked a couple of the new characters like Ackerman and Kill Crazy.

As a whole though, I think I prefer 7 to 8. In fact there isn't much about 7 I don't like*. It might be lower on the laughs (and I think that's debatable, some of the funniest stuff is in that series. That whole Ace Rimmer James Bond sequence was one of the most brilliant parodies I've seen!) I have an idea it is mainly the departure of Chris Barrie for half the series which put a lot of people off. (And Kryten's jealousy could get a bit irritating.) But I think the new group was really just something that required getting used to rather than being inherently bad.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they brought Rimmer back though!

* I do wish they'd given some explanation to the new use of the time-drive, even if it had been just a couple of lines.

"But Kryten, didn't you say the timedrive could only travel through time?"

"Well, the thing about that sir is... I was wrong. I had a look at the display again after our little jaunt into medieval deep space and I noticed the curry stain covering the spatial coordinates display."

10. doggett

Which would you rather watch ?

RD VIII Vs. 2 Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps.

It's an easy choice.;-)

I thought VI was the greatest of all the series, don't lump it in with the worst !!!
    Still, each to their own, I suppose.

11. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

VII is maybe slitly better 8)

12. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Yeah I thought VI was as good as any of the previous series, I don't get why some people lump it in with VII and VIII

13. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

I dunno, really, they both have their strong and weak points. Overall I think I like VII better though. VIII had some good stories but it was really kind of unsatisfying in a way, especially the last episode. It felt like it all (bringing back the RD's crew and resurrecting a non-hologram Rimmer) just kind of led nowhere and was pointless, especially with Rimmer's character. :?

14. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

VII is probably my least favourite series overall (I still like it but watch it less than any other series) and I actually do like series VIII, quite a lot actually!

15. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

I agree with jmc2000. Season 7 brought back the depth of season two, my favorite, even if there were some lame jokes scattered throughout (worse in s8), and even if the logic was very sloppy. I wonder how it would have been different with Rob Grant...

Season 8... Well, they can never say Lister's the last guy alive now. Anyway, it became too mundane. They cared about large SF ideas in earlier seasons, and here they were playing basketball with stiffies.

16. doggett

The defence rests. ;-)

VII is the winner.

Also the prison outfits were awful !

17. Androidsandbeingasleep

Androidsandbeingasleep Third Technician

I agree that VII is alot better than VIII. VII still has that Dwarf feel, and Tikka to Ride is brilliant. VIII on the other hand just feels like a different show with the same characters in it, with dumbed down humour, and lacking the subtle touches that I to VII had. Resurrecting the crew was a bad idea for several reasons (too many characters, budget problems etc).

18. teeheehoddleha

teeheehoddleha Third Technician

I feel I could write a book on why Red Dwarf VII is so much better than it is given credit for.

But before I could have the inner peace to do that I'd need to write an even longer book on why Red Dwarf VIII is, for want of a better phrase, utter monkey piss.

A few of my many reasons for believing:

- the stupid pencil shaped dwarf
    - dancing midget
    - complete overnight (actually it was meant to be the same day) transformation of Kochanski's appearance and personality
    - the crew being brought back, thus undoing the entire premise of the series which "The End" so masterfully set up.
    - the hideously convoluted plotline (and plotholes) of the first three episodes
    - the fact that by episode 4, it had become clear that the premise for the season couldn't really be sustained, so the canaries concept was established to give the dwarfers a reason to go off on their own exploring salvage vessels (er... HELLO??)
    - imposter Rimmer ("It's you just like you used to be" - Oh, really? I must have missed that episode.)
    - Hollister being portrayed as an incompetent moron, when Seasons 1 and 2 established him as a fairly authoritative, level-headed guy - (Ok, I know there's the whole chicken suit scene - but he had motivation in that one)
    - the focus given to worthless characters like Lucas McClaren, Kill Crazy, Ackerman etc, while Cat, Kochanski and Kryten are relegated to bit players.
    - a two-part episode about a dinosaur built around the fact that someone in the visual effects team said they could do a good dinosaur
    - the sets (Red Dwarf never had purple walls, and that orange tank set is vile)
    - the costumes (esp the prisoner uniforms, but then the new take on the original uniforms didn't really work either)
    - the infantile humour (fake penises, erections during basketball, have a nice period, movers and shakers, Nostrilomo, dinosaur bodily functions)
    - that stupid cliffhanger (did they not learn from the last one?)

I could go on... Please understand, I absolutely love Red Dwarf but that season was such a sad letdown.

19. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

The "infantile humor" was exactly in line with the content of jokes from previous seasons. You could make that accusation about the whole series if you wanted to. My problem is the loss of depth between s7 and s8, and of a sense that this story they were telling mattered.

The "Have a fantastic period" banner was one of the funniest moments. Kryten's smiling face, just knowing he's going to make CK so happy...

20. RossPK

RossPK Third Technician

I much preferred VIII, infact I really liked VIII, and never really liked VII.

Can't explain what it was about VII, but it seemed to have completely lost the feel of the older Red Dwarfs, and it felt like there wasn't much depth to each episode, it was like each episode was focusing too much on being too 'filmic' instead. Really didn't like it and still don't really like it.

VIII though I just thought was great, it was cool having more characters (although I still like the isolated feel of just the few RD members of the other series too), and it was like there was just a lot more to it than VII. The jokes were infantile I suppose, but I just found them really funny, like the whole Krytie TV thing, etc, etc.

I've really never been able to get why people don't like VIII.