VII Vs. VIII

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by doggett, Mar 29, 2009.

1. kalloused

kalloused Skutter

they both sucked ass

2. platini

platini Third Technician

To me they're both equally flawed for completely different reasons:

VII and VIII both suffer, I feel, from too much whooshy CGI effects work and from not having Rob Grant on the writing. (I'll need to see BTE a few times before seeing how these two factors affect it.)

VII has no live audience, which I think helps as it generates an atmosphere on the set when they're making it. It also has no Rimmer for half the time, which is a major disadvantage. On the other hand, it does have Chloe Annett's version of Kochanski and I really liked her. VII also has the post-prod film look which stands out from the other series and gives it a distancing effect. I suspect I might have enjoyed that series more if it hadn't been processed.

VIII lost the film look and had the live audience back, but Kochanski was barely in it now they had Rimmer back.

3. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

I know that the cast enjoyed playing to the live audience but I'm sure I read somewhere that the more complex a story was, the less time was performed live. OK pretty much all of Marooned could be filmed live but with later episodes like Quarantine and Rimmerworld the audience would get pre filmed footage with about 10 minutes worth of live footage. Therefore no audience for series 7 shouldn't have made much difference.