weakest ep from series I to VI?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by emmawatson, Oct 18, 2016.

1. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

Well, RD fans?

For me it's Timeslides.

2. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Tough call this, but I think I'll go with Parallel Universe.

3. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

I've pretty much always disliked Meltdown and I recall having skipped/ it once or twice on some re-runs.

4. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

The 5 weakest episodes of Series I to VI are as follows:

5: Timeslides - 7/10
    4: Rimmerworld - 6/10
    3: Parallel Universe - 5/10
    2: Meltdown - 4/10
    1: Emohawk: Polymorph II - 4/10

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

This is all subjective of course. Everybody's just going to say their least favourite, and what one person might cite as the 'weakest episode' from 1 to 6, another fan might hold in much higher regard. For example, Aka Dowafu says it's Meltdown - an episode that I consider a pretty good Rimmer based episode only let down by its over-ambitious concept. But personally, Kryten is the one I hate the most. Why? First and foremost, I hate David Ross' annoying C3PO impression, and second the over-enthusiastic audience annoys me.

Meanwhile, the Internet Movie Database informs me that Waiting for God (also Rob Grant's least favourite) is the lowest ranked episode out of the first six seasons, and I'd find it pretty hard to argue against that.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094535/eprate?ref_=ttep_ql_3

6. Slainmonkey

Ofcouse it's only speculative....otherwise there would be no point to this thread, because everyone would have the same answer!

7. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

The Inquisitor for me. Like Boba Fett, don't understand the love.

8. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

If I were to choose I'd probably go for Parallel Universe, mostly because Arlene Rimmer makes me want to vomit.

I've softened towards Meltdown (melted towards it?) its a silly concept but if you don't take it too seriously there is some very funny stuff.

9. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Always liked Meltdown personally and never understood why it's so unpopular. My least favourite would be Waiting For God personally, I've described it personally as a Nothing episode since nothing really important seems to happen in it, although the garbage pod sub-plot is great and goes some way to redeem the episode as a whole.

10. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Waiting For God and Meltdown are two episodes Ive always held in high esteem, and the former episode is actually my fave episode from Series I. I've long been aware that both of these episodes have been considered weak by a sizeable portion of the fanbase, but I've never agreed with that view.

11. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I find DNA a bit boring to be honest.

12. jimmydischarge

jimmydischarge Third Technician

Same here. I still like it, but probably the weakest for me too. I love Meltdown though, so many great lines! I can see how some might rank Timeslides up there. But for me that episode is a bit special to because it was the first one of III that I saw (followed by The Last Day) and I remember how I couldn't believe how different the entire layout of the show was compared to the first two seasons. I also taped it off of YTV, a Canadian children's network so not only was it edited for commercials, but any 'inappropriate' jokes were cut out too. It was a little while before I got to see the rest of III (unedited).

13. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

For me, it's definitely Emohawk. I was disappointed with it at the time as it felt like the series was running out of ideas - I really hated the reappearance of Dwayne Dibbley and Ace, as I felt that it took away from their first brilliant incarnations. This was the episode that first made me question whether, at age 17, I was finally outgrowing Red Dwarf.

Little did I know!!

14. jimmydischarge

I got Camille mixed up with DNA in my head. Camille was always the weakest episode of IV for me. I'm not sure what I think is the weakest of 1-VI is yet. I'll have to mull it over some more.

15. Slainmonkey

I have seen a lot of dislike lumped towards Camille over the years, and while hardly in my top favourites...I've always liked it. Other then the Casablanca references being kinda old hat, I always thought it was a good episode and a did a lot to develop Kryten as a character.

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I haven't seen Casablanca (not that I remember) yet I loved that little parody they did in Camille. I like that episode a lot.

Emohawk is a curious one because the first part set on the gelf moon is amongst the funniest stuff I've ever seen. The latter stuff with the return of Ace and Dibbley... not so much. I didn't dislike it, but the idea of people's physical appearance changing as the result of having their emotions sucked out kind of bugged me a bit, although I understand it was played for laughs.

17. jimmydischarge

Don't get me wrong, I like Camille, just not as much as the others (in season IV at least). In fact I don't think there's a single episode from I-VI that I dislike. Although the last couple times I've binged watched the entire show, I've been starting at season 2 instead of the very beginning (or should I say The End?). I don't know if it's because I've seen that season the most or maybe I just find it so slow compared to the rest of them now.

18. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Waiting for God. I'd go as far as to say it's my least favourite episode of Red Dwarf ever.

19. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Don't listen to that guy, he's an idiot.:eek:ops:

Rewatched Waiting for God today, it's not that bad actually. Don't know why I, ahem, the quoted poster thought it was that bad. Dodgy memory I suspect...

20. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

I'd probably say Meltdown. For whatever reason, it's about the only episode that genuinely bores me virtually every time I watch it. I usually lose interest before the end. I don't understand why a lot of you seem to dislike Emohawk. I thought it was very funny throughout, even if the ending is a bit too simple.