'We're Smegged' documentary (spoilers)

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by bedfordfalls, Nov 18, 2012.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Just finished watching this.

Firstly, its an absolutely fantastic, enormously in depth documentary and I literally can't think of anything more that it could have included. Secondly, what an astonishing breakdown of the difficulties this show faced at every stage of production. The revelation that episodes 5 and 6 had to be written in 10 days is staggering and should really be taken into consideration for any future criticism of the show, especially Dear Dave. I really hope that those who have been hard on the series get to see it, for me it as they might better come to terms with just what a struggle it was to make the show as good as it was. This is a million lightyears from the production values of the BBC. Doug even comments that they can't now afford a certain technology that they could in the 1980's on series 1!

I was also fascinated by the changes that apparently took place to Trojan, not just the well documented vis-effects and cargo bay stuff but to what pretty much seems to have been a total rewrite once location shootings were lost.
    Seeing the original models that would have been used in 'the Beginning' against the final products makes me so grateful for Doug's ability to call in favours. While what occurred after shooting had wrapped and almost left us with a literal 'lost series' doesn't bare thinking about!:shock:

The documentary even manages to tie up little questions this forum has been obsessing over such as what Red Dwarf Movie Script section Craig was referring to in his now infamous "scene with Captain Hollister" slip (it's the last one anyone would have guessed!).

It was also funny to hear that Dominator Zlurth apparently didn't realise he was in a comedy until he informed by Doug while eating a sausage roll! (even after filming the Seppuku scene with real sausages). :lol:

I do get the feeling that Shepperton Studios will be sacking their catering service after this tell all doc though...Doug even moaned about them in the deleted scenes. Good job Norman wasn't here!

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

I didn't realise I was watching a comedy most of the time!!! :roll:

PS - I do not believe that, he was working on Red Dwarf he must have known it was a comedy!!! :roll:

3. bedfordfalls

Possibly not when he was shooting the first scene. It seems likely from the DVD that he shot his bit separately from Chancellor Wednesday as they never appear in the same shot in that particular scene so if he only read his lines it may only have dawned on him that he was in a comedy when he saw Chancellor Wednesday doing his bit with the intestines.

Not everyone knows what Red Dwarf is. I don't think the girl who played Pree knew it was a comedy originally either until she read the script.

4. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

Me too please!:-D

5. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

Me three! :-D

I can't buy the DVD until payday!

6. bedfordfalls

Oh dear! What have I started. Unfortunately I fear being hung drawn and quartered by Doug if I reveal it here. However I will say that those of you who enjoy callbacks to previous episodes will be pleased. Well...some of you...well...one of you...maybe.

Oh no, I've said too much...:-D

7. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

(watches documentary)
    Now to upload this to Youtube!:twisted:

8. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I am going to assume that the smiley means "I am joking about uploading to You Tube when really I am not"

:-)

9. bedfordfalls

P'raps he's merely going to upload a random video of a woman swearing at a horse and tell people its about Red Dwarf, ala Vindalunar! :lol:

10. simulant37

Well, these people need to get better agents!!! :x

11. bedfordfalls

he has done comedies before. Here he is as "Rock Justice" in Goodnight Sweetheart:

Link

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Second Technician

It truly was a fantastic way to end the documentary; I'm glad Doug picked up on it. ;-)

But yes! I just finished watching the whole thing now, and I thought it was brilliant. I can fully appreciate how hard Doug and the crew had to work just to make this show happen now, especially with the difficulties they faced.

13. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Third Technician

Hi First off Yip the way Doug revealed what hapened at the end was a nice touch, The Documentary was amazing, and realizing that unless those spare hardrives had been found the show wasnt going to be aired due to not passing QC, all that could go wrong seemed to go wrong from budgets, poor effects like crappy asteroids, rewrites and sickness but in the end it all came together.
    My only shock is that no scripts where sort of written till not long before shooting seems weird that ideas and semi scripts hadnt been brought together and refined before the show was fully given the go ahead, and the scripts for ep 5 & 6 more or less written days befor shooting, the sword scene acted to perfection and just enough sound effects to make you smile

There its a nice outake which should be put back in- the old sperm bit.
    As for the smegups not nearly enough im sure there must have been a pile more, all in all a great documentary and some nice extras,

Fav episode Lemons
    overall 7.5/10
    after watching the documentary 10/10 for the effort in actually getting it on Air, hopefully X1 will be a Rob Grant, Doug Naylor production from start to end.

14. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Yeah the documentary was great and the reveal at the end was excellent. Not a lot else on the DVD though, but thats to be expected considering how quickly it has been put together. It would have been nice to have got the cast back together a few months after recording the series to do put there comentaries on and a later release, but all in all I enjoyed the DVD.

15. simulant37

what is reveal at end? :?:

16. bedfordfalls

At the end of the documentary, Doug reveals what happened after series 8.

17. simulant37

What happened after series 8?

18. bedfordfalls

Nothing for nine years...that's why Doug decided to tell all at the end of the documentary!

19. sidest

sidest Skutter

I'll step in right here... :-D

Look, for someone not in the UK and who can't watch the DVD yet, what really happened after series 8? I'm fine with knowing, and the spoiler warning is there.

Where did the plot go next? Death falls to the ground on a deteriorating Red Dwarf. Then what? Not just immediately after, but any subsequent events that are confirmed to have happened after that... :P

20. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

OK. [SPOILERS] They certainly discuss what happened at the end of Series VIII at the end of The Beginning. Although I think it's unfair for us to spoil what they say, so wait until you get to see the episodes :P [/SPOILERS]