'We're Smegged' documentary (spoilers)

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by bedfordfalls, Nov 18, 2012.

1. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

They didn't let on at all did they.

Sounds like were getting trolled.

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

So what did he say then?!? Why is there a deliberate reluctance to offer this info in the We're Smegged documentary (spoilers) thread?

3. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I've already told you in a PM so why ask again?

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I swear absolutely that I promise that Doug addresses the cliffhanger at the end of the documentary.

If I'm lying then may Cloister strike me down. :P

5. MisterBuch

MisterBuch Second Technician

He doesn't necessarily answer all of the questions, but suffice to say he tells you whether or not Death was real or metaphorical, and it's heavily implied by his body language whether Rimmer is the original hologram or a new one.

That's really all we can say without spoiling the revelation.

6. suekay87

Well can someone PM me and tell me what happened...I would have the DVDs already but I can't afford them this week and I'm dying to know!

7. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

PM'd

I had a look at your photography page and it is good. As gfor your calendar requests, a deinate for Scotland and maybe think of the Lake district as well.:-D

8. suekay87

Aw thank you!

I'd love to do a Lake District calendar, but I've never been there...maybe one day!

9. sidest

sidest Skutter

Do I get a PM too? :P

10. bedfordfalls

I keep meaning to send PM's out...but something interrupts me every time. :lol:

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I finished watching this the other day. It's very comprehensive and insightful. I had no idea the production was beset with so many problems. The only thing that was absent, unless I missed it, was mention of who made those wonderful background paintings for some episodes such as the mountainous scenery in Entangled.

12. sidest

sidest Skutter

13. MisterBuch

I wish there had been mention of the music, too. I loved the music in series X.

14. bedfordfalls

Agree 100%. Howard Goodall's contributions to this series can't be understated. Even when reusing old music cues the series had a more Dwarfy feel because of his efforts and I love the rousing "space hero" theme used when Lister Jetpacks into view in Fathers and Suns. Equally good, although more subtle, is the riff on the main theme used as the missiles destroy the Simulant ships in The Beginning.

His music really stirs the soul and gives scenes an extra impact. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned on the documentary because I recall it being another case of dashing around at the last minute trying to get it sorted after realising there was no budget.

15. MisterBuch

Well said.

16. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Well I must say I enjoyed this documentary muchly :-)

I do still feel however that rushing this release out in time for the winter consumer period formally known as 'Christmas' is quite likely the main reason for the lesser amount of material outside of this docu. And indeed it's a shame that certain artists and Howard Goodall didn't even get a mention...but as I think is the case with many issues surrounding the making of series X I feel this may have been out of the control of Doug and the documentary maker(s) by this point. Methinks the main issues are to do with the system, not the man;

"ah but is it the system or the man?" I hear you ask..

Well, um yeah, I'd say that in this case it's definitely the system!...mostly...perhaps.

However, there were times during the docu when I couldn't help but wonder how competent certain elements of this production are/were...I mean, on the one hand this docu helps me sympathise with them; the low budget, the lack of location shoots, Doug being 'forced' to rewrite the last two episodes in ten days (ridiculous!), etc. But on the other hand it does seem that some very strange decisions were made by certain people at certain times on certain days during certain episodes...almost certainly - *said I with a certain degree of uncertainty*.

But hey, what do I know? I do not work in television production and thus may not realise how difficult some of this stuff can be. And perhaps this docu is just much more candid, more honest than most? One way or the other it's certainly a 'warts and all' documentary, which is quite admirable really. I'd certainly prefer that to the kind of "ooh aren't we all marvellous, darling!?" kind of Hollywood attitude often heard and seen in many non Dwarfy DVD documentaries of this kind.

As has been mentioned by others it does indeed come across (at times) like there may have been some tension between Doug and Charles Armitage. Again I'm no expert when it comes to TV but I fail to understand why Doug didn't begin writing scripts until the cast were fully signed up. This makes very little sense to me. Same goes for scouting for locations before writing scripts. If this is how TV usually works then surly some serious changes are needed. It just all seems so very last minute, with nowhere near enough leverage to plan things effectually. And in some cases this seems like it could have been avoided..but perhaps not given the unfortunate circumstances.

Either way, rather than blaming individuals I will just say this; One thing that does seem fairly obvious from this documentary is that Red Dwarf XI would certainly benefit from having another director - and ideally an additional producer or two too...Wait, what? "tutu"?...sorry, I'm in a strange mood tonight.

Not because I don't think Doug is capable of doing a good job of directing, I actually feel he did a very good job of directing this series. But because it's very clear to see that it's just too much for one man to have to focus on at the same time, especially given the unfortunate working conditions (really tight budget/time schedule, various model shoot issues, etc) Doug needs more time to focus on the writing and this should surely be his main priority. Again how financially viable that would be is perhaps another matter entirely.

I really am very glad they used a studio audience, and as I've mentioned before I feel very privileged and thankful to have been given the opportunity to attend one of the recordings. But the fact that no extra budget was given for this is a little worrying. However, so far as what seems to work best for the show, including cast performances, it certainly seems to make sense to have an audience. But on the other hand it's also clear that this eats into the budget on various levels. Some of which may not initially seem so apparent to those of us who don't work in the TV industry.

Another slightly baffling thing is; Why the smeg did DAVE initially not want to use Bill Pearson (Head Model Maker)? Unless again this is somehow related to budgetary reasons I just don't see the logic in that. The guy has always done a good job in the past so why not use him again? For smeg sake, DAVE (or whoever this may concern), fix what's broken, not what already provably works!..bunch of twonks. :P

It's interesting that the HD camera's actually caused a few model issues because they're too good. I can't help but wonder if this was part of the reason Kryten's mask looked a bit dodgy and way too pale at times too.

On a separate issue Robert did mention on the night of the recording I attended that Craig had been ill, but I hadn't realised quite how ill he was. It certainly didn't show on the night. Although it does explain why there was very limited Cheeky Charles banter with the audience that night, and why he had his serious face on for much of the night. Not that this was a massive deal, as the other's, especially Bobby and Danny were on top form when it came to interactive banter with the audience.

I also feel sorry for Craig having to wait around (whilst ill) by a really hot studio light, as the rest of the cast joked around during a repeated smeg up. And I can confirm that he's not exaggerating there, he was certainly quite close to it, and in full leather outfit too...doesn't even bare thinking about really.

I'll admit that I laughed along with everyone else after he called out to them; "um, guys can you hurry up please, it's getting really hot up here!", but seeing the close up camera shot confirms that he was genuinely struggling, so I feel a bit bad for laughing now to be honest. It must be especially annoying for him since the final edit cuts his entrance (via the Drive Room stair case) out of the scene. All we see in the final edit is his feet being placed on the top step, then when we cut back to him he's right back on ground level. But again it's all very well saying this stuff in hindsight. I'm sure there were good reasons to go with that editing decision.

I'm confused as to where Rebecca (Pree) was whilst filming her parts. I can't seem to get my barrings right. It looks like she was in the main corridor set off to the right hand side of the bunk room set, but she certainly wasn't there (in that specific corridor) on the night. It would seem that some of her stuff was filmed another night, or earlier in the day - or on pick up days perhaps?

Unless I'm misremembering this I don't think we (the audience) ever actually saw Rebecca in the flesh. Not even after the filming was over, which seemed a little odd to me. I mean, surely she deserved her moment of recognition/applause after the filming was done.

I love how parts of the sets tend to get reused/recycled for other episodes. And in most cases it's close to impossible to notice too, unless one is specifically looking out for it (although I did initially notice the reuse of the wall panels from Trojan in a later ep)

So yeah, it certainly seems like they were up against a barrage of problems from day one, but all things considered I would say that this was overcome pretty well for the most part. Judging by the DVD docu's it certainly seems that RD has always been a difficult show to make. But much more so with series X it would seem. As others have mentioned realise the many interrelated problems they were up against does help one appreciate the hard work that was put into making this series.

Oh and one 'last' thing, did anyone else notice the scutter in the background of the shot of the Blue Midget? Was this an old shot or a new one I wonder. If the latter then perhaps we could dare to hope for a scutter or two in series XI...or maybe not. :-)

..oh and Doug's final word at the end of this docu?...I liked it. It was pretty much the explanation I was expecting personally though, and I'm absolutely fine with it...that's not to say that all other fans will be quite so pleased however.

In which case you may wish to purchase one of these ;-)

17. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

I can't afford the DVD right now, my friend promised she'd get it me for christmas. For now I am dying to know what happened; if any of you that know or have been let know what happened are willing to PM me then I will be more than grateful. :-)

18. MisterBuch

It would sort of spoil it. It's the way he tells it - you know? Suffice to say Rimmer certainly DID save the day.

19. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

Would you tell me?

20. MisterBuch

Wellllllllll..... let's just say there are some controversial elements, and that it's probably not what you expect.

Yes I am totally just teasing. xD