What does 2010 hold For Red Dwarf

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Titanbeing, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Titanbeing

Titanbeing Third Technician

As it's near the beginning of the New Year what do you Red Dwarf Fans Want/Expect to happen in 2010 regarding Red Dwarf?
    After last years promising Back To Earth shows and Speculation re a new series, what do you think will be a definate by this time next year?

I personally hope for confirmation at least of a new series.

2. MrsAceRimmer

MrsAceRimmer Second Technician

I would love to see a new series :-)Btw welcome to the forums :-)
    Mrs AR xxx

3. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

A new series would be good, obviously! This time last year we already knew about BTE though...

By the way, you should introduce yourself in the Express Lift, you'll get lots of nice welcome messages!

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Hopefully six new interesting and funny episodes centred around the four "core" crew of Rimmer, Lister, Cat and Kryten in the original setting onboard Red Dwarf and Kochanski nowhere in sight and only used as a plot device to take them from (a) to (f) visiting (b), (c), (d) and (e) on route.

I would also be thrilled to see no simulants, no gelfs and definately no smegging Duane Dibbley but instead a focus on interesting new stories and side characters. With that said though it really is high time that Tony Hawks made a reappearance in some form :lol:

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

A new series is the obvious choice. I'm hoping for something akin to series 3 to 5 but minus Holly.

It's highly unlikely, but I'd also love an announcement that Doug is writing a new Red Dwarf novel.

6. PCz911

PCz911 Third Technician

befordfalls sums up my feelings EXACTLY !

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

If there are no simulants and no gelfs, who will the side characters be? Droids? Holograms? Figures of the imagination brought to life by a weird space ray? (Actually I wouldn't mind seeing more of the first two. Another model droid perhaps, like old humanlike 3000 series... Space ray thing, not so much. ;-) )

Anyway, I hope to see a new series too. and I'm happy to see more gelfs and simulants, as long as it isn't 'monster of the week' each episode. (And it's not just the kinitawowi again. I'd love to see what they'd come up with with modern affects.) That's not to say I won't be interested to see character oriented episode based around the boys. One doesn't preclude the other and there will be 6 episodes! Even when there were creatures, there was a strong emphasis on character exploration. Come to think of it, episodes which dissected the characters the most had creatures in them. Case in point: Camille. A Kryten episode. Rimmerworld. Speaks for itself. Even Polymorph and Emohawk where we saw our characters coping (or not coping) with dominant emotions.

8. archie918

archie918 Second Technician

To add to your list, The Inquisitor arguably explored the characters even more than in Polymorph, with the Judgements and Lister using his brain(!)

9. bedfordfalls

How about figments of Doug Naylor's imagination brought to life by a vibrant funny script?

Unless Doug has somehow stretched his creativity to breaking point with a whopping two types of side character then I don't see the harm in resting both and exploring other avenues.

To be more specific, by Gelfs I'm referring to the types that became recurring characters in series 6 and 7 not the catch-all "genetically engineered life form" phrase used to explain away the "no alien" rule. I feel that the whole "ekk ekk ekk" coughing gag became past its sell by date by Ouroboros and was boring in Beyond a Joke (not to mention an example of yet more bad logic as the Kinatowawi never actually spoke like that in any episode!)

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Um... still needs to come from within the story! Unless we have another metafiction story. (God forbid. I liked BtE but that kind of storyline should be kept to the minimum.

Okay, fair enough, I actually agree. I was thinking of gelfs in the general sense, not the kinitawowi (although if they reappear, I wouldn't mind, but I wouldn't like to see just them). I'd like to see something new. I was thinking in particular of the creatures we see in Last Human, and it occurred to me, those could actually be realised now. Well, budget permitting. It doesn't even have to be them exactly, just... something new. I'd like to see what modern affects would provide.

I'd like to reiterate these affects should service the story though. And need only be in 1 or 2 episodes. I certainly don't want an affects extravaganza with minimal story. Story and affects were never mutually exclusive.

Oh, and one episode including simulants would be great! I like me humanoid killer robots. Especially the ones that look like Liz Hickling.

11. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Erm , hopefully by this time next year i will hope to have SEEN them already, and a new series in the proccess. I hope i don't ask too much.

12. buckmana

buckmana Third Technician

I'd like to see a new series.

Seeing as Red Dwarf is so good to endure this long, it would be a shame to finally see it end once and for all finally, no revival, no hope of return.

I actually quite like Kochanski, she took the show in a new and interesting direction.

The Gelfs actually could have quite a broad area to explore.

I can't recall the title, but one of the novels explored the Gelfs quite a lot, going into details about several different kinds.

The Snugiraffe springs to mind, because it was invented as a gag. Basically, it was a combination of Slug and Giraffe, but it was really an accident. It's the most disgusting Gelf ever, in terms of physical appearance. As far as they're concerned, puking is the same thing as saying hello.

Simulants also had their moments, but being the strongest enemy there is, they should not appear every episode. Simulants should only appear to emphasize the threat of specific situations.

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Judging by a recent article, I think there's definitely hope for a return.

Last Human. And I agree.

14. bedfordfalls

I think you misundstood me. I'm not talking about characters who are literal "figments of Doug Naylor's imagination", I simply mean that I'm sure he must be capable of thinking up side characters who havn't already been used on many occasions.

15. bedfordfalls

Series VII certainly had some emotional aspects to it; something that can't really be said of 6 and is completely absent from the pantomime that was series 8, however in comparison to series I and 2 it still didn't do it on a regular basis.

Think of series 1 for example and nearly every episode brings some sort of reflective emotional scene and pathos:

The End: Death and Lister's realisation that he is alone and his dreams may be over
    Future Echoes: Rimmer's dissapointment that Lister is going to leave him behind. "Everyone always leaves me in the end".
    Balance of Power: A drunken Lister sits in an empty bar thinking back to when everyone was alive and realising that he is "alone"
    Waiting for God: The sad fate of the Cat people and Lister's uneasyness with the weight of what only owning a single pair of underpants has caused. The death of the Cat Priest and the story of how the Cat's left him behind.
    Confidence and Paranoia: Again playing on Lister's lonliness and what his desire for "a bit of company" almost leads him to do.
    ME2: More anguished revelations about Rimmer and the "Gespacho soup" incident.

Vii by comparison gave us some emotional content in the examples you give "Ouroboros" and "Stoke" with maybe Lister's suicide mission from "Epideme" ranking up there but they were one offs really rather than the core theme of the episode or series.

Some might throw Duct Soup in there but not I. For me that is an episode that tried to reinvoke what series 1 and 2 did (or perhaps what "marooned" did) but pretty much failed in every respect.

Back to Earth, on the other hand, got it right by keeping its motiff of a character who has lost his purpose and ultimately rediscovers a new one or perhaps the same one) running throughout and building towards a very satisfying ending.

16. bedfordfalls

I didn't find Tikka to be that tearjerking, don't know whether that's due to not being affected by the whole Keneddy thing or not or whether the slapstick beat down of Lister prevented it for me.

Able's sacrafice didn't mean much to me either as he's exactly the sort of character Hollywood movies have led to expect will be killed off by the end of the film.

17. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

A new series and another in production... :-D (Overly optimistic?)

18. Titanbeing

Titanbeing Third Technician

I Wish for a new Series also.Even just definate confirmation.I dont care if Kochanski is in it or gelfs or dwayne dibley.Just to be told that the boys from the dwarf are back.

19. bedfordfalls

We already have been told this. Scripts have been commissioned, while this is a long way from them actually turning into TV programmes it shouldn't be anywhere near as tentative as hoping for the movie.

With that in mind, I think most of us can hope for slightly more than just Lister, Cat, Kryten and Duane Dibley eating a bag of oranges for 25 minutes, while a gelf and a simulant walk past.

20. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    So you're thinking it will be funnier than BTE then?