What does it all MEAN?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by adorabelle, Apr 6, 2009.

1. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

I thought we could hae a thread where we could explain where our username and avatar/Red Dwarf picture/portraits come from and what they mean to us... Okay, so I realise that if you have just used your own name and a photo of yourself taken on your webcam, this might not be so interesting. But, I've noticed that there are some pretty original names and images on the forum and was curious to know, What does it all MEAN?

I'll start, adorabelle comes from Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, one of my other great passions, (I'm a fantasy nut) the character's name is Adorabelle Dearheart or Spike and she is an edgy chain-smoker who takes sarcasm to the nth degree. Not so unlike myself I'm afraid :-D
    My (current ;-) ) avatar of Kryten and Kristine is also quite appropriate, as firstly my real name is Christine (wow, I know what are the odds? ;-) )and I often have the kind of semi-breakdowns you see Kochanski have in series VII.

Over to you...

2. doggett

doggett Second Technician

Doggett - Favourite character in the X Files.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

My name MDN T1 was actually taken (possibly indirectly) from one of the Agonoid characters in Rob Grant's novel Backwards.

Their names were usually spelt out to appear like strange alien names but when phonetically pronounced is a little in joke.

I seem to remember the names actually starting as number codes allocated to the agonoids by their human masters, although that memory may be in error. (I don't own Backwards and can't confirm one way or the other at the moment.)

I decided to leave it... cos it amuses me. ;-) I might change it to the alien spelling later.

Erm. No avatar yet. I did have the one of Kryten with a wig, but I noticed someone else had that one. When I find my digital camera I might take a pic, and do something with it. (I have an idea in mind.)

4. Snow Cloud

Snow Cloud Console Officer

my name is Cloud Strife he is the main character of final fantasy vii, a game i was heavily replying around the time i made my account. He also appears in my sig. My Avatar though is Vegeta from Dragonball Z, No reason I just like dragonball z and vegeta.

5. Lee

Lee Third Technician

mines my name and my avatar is one i have until i find a good one or can be bothered to make a good one, i wanted a better name, something cool but i couldnt think so i just used my actual name :-( ah well :lol::roll:

6. connell

connell First Technician

My name is well... My name! (Yes i'm Irish!! :-D)

And my avatar is Lister annoying Rimmer from series 8 because they were the first lot I saw from Pete onwards waaay back, and it just brings good memories :-D

7. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

Dr Suess

8. craigymcfly

craigymcfly Skutter

i'm a huge fan of back to the future. So mine came from a mixture of my name (craig) and the main character from the series Marty McFly.

And no, it's not from the teeny bopper band mcfly. I have been using this name long before they came around!

9. Beth1983

Beth1983 Second Technician

Mine is my name with the addition of "The Not Quite British" which is a reference to the fact that I'm an American living in England...I can't remember where the joke of "The Not Quite British" came from but it stuck a bit.

The icon is one I found on LJ and have been using on and off for a long time, it references my um...distractablity.

10. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Mine is my name.

How original of me.

11. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    Mine is a result of me reading sarcasm into a post where it wasn't intended. Apparently sometimes people mean exactly what they say.

12. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

My name, i don't have a bronze swimming certificate mind.

As for the avatar, i think it's the best pic of rimmer, look at his smug face.

13. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

Really? I have that problem too, I'm always being far too sarcastic, I think it's the Scottish in me. :-D

14. HelenW

HelenW First Technician

My name comes from the title of a comedy/sci-fi story that I read once. I can't actually remember the story itself very well but the name's always stuck with me.

As for my avatar, well...bananas are just good, aren't they? :-D (Plus it's a Who reference, hehe, but this is the wrong forum for that sort of thing.)

15. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

My name is my name, my surname was random number I chouse... Picture doesn't mean much, I will probablly cange it soon

16. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

My name is my name (sound quite philosophical that doesnt it?) my avatar is a character from my favourite series of games - Final Fanmtasy!

17. EternusNex

EternusNex Third Technician

Eternus Nex is latin for Eternal Death (im a cheerful person really..........honest:-()
    I just have a habit/hobby of looking for words in different languages and finding what words look or sound cool.
    I stick to latin because almost anything in latin looks cool and interesting.

And picture is just picture because picture was there, no reason behind it really.

18. goldy_T_O_T

goldy_T_O_T Deck Sergeant

Ont Canada eating cat nip and drinking Milk
    The name is both in honor of the characters in Red dwarf and one of my cats who is now passed away. :crying:
    The pic is in the style of Futurama and yeah it looks a lot like me. The lips, the glasses everything.
    The sig well I tried to capture the sense of humor of the Red dwarf show. Its OK I guess. :-)

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Pssst! 'THEREFORE' is one word!

20. JEZZMUND

JEZZMUND First Technician

Archbishop JEZZMUND came from Archbishop Desmond Tutu the first black 'bish,
    been known as such for years now, so the name stuck,
    My avatar is drawn by a comic artist known a Rich Lillie,
    and features in AudioAddictz webcomic
    (about the only thing i've ever been inspiration for)
    that was quite a surprise - you know you've made it as a geek when you get animated..