What ever red dwarf fan missed..

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Diet_coke, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Well i've read alot of peoples opinions. And Everyones got it wrong.
    As usual it is up to me to clear things up.

At the end we heard, the munchkin song.. The clue was there. None of it really happened. They were just inside the rimmer ride thing.

I cant believe im the only who sussed it.

2. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

Ahhh, that explains why the audience laughter didn't sound right. It was virtual audience laughter. So, does that mean this is really series 11?

3. Diet_coke

It means they obviously went into the rimmer experience thing, thats why his brother turned up. It was all Un-reality. Possibly to try and help Rimmer overcome his past... But I'd say they will explain it later on in the series.

I cant believe im the only one who has sussed it. Not even simulant or talkie got it :roll:

4. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Wait wait, where was the Munchkin song?

5. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

A slower sadder version of the tune was played while Howard was dying

6. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

You're all wrong, they're all still in the joy universe from BTE!

No...wait, that never really happened, they're all still in the simulation from BITR!

NO...wait, that never happened either!! You're probably right and they are in the simulation from Blue!

NO WAIT! They never left BETTER THAN LIFE!!!

NO WAIT! LISTER IS STILL IN STASIS AND EVERY SERIES IS A DREAM!!!!!!!!

7. Diet_coke

No, lets pretend BTE didnt happen. and this is picking up sometime AFTER series 8...

Here we have them, with what they've been through during series 8.
    They are........ eerrrrr, really confused?!:?

8. Slainmonkey

8 was worse then BTE IMO, it's all been an anti reality bubble since Out of Time.

9. bedfordfalls

No let's pretend Series 8 never happened and then we can all enjoy the brilliant Kochanski/Lister bit from the end of BTE and indeed BTE for what it was rather than trying to expect it to be what it wasn't.

Seriously, I love how easy it is to omit series 8 from Canon at the moment without causing any disturbance to the show whatsoever. I know this will only last until the end of series X but at least then we'll have another good slice of Dwarf to help us forget all about Lister's pubes, Kochanski's periods and all the other high class humour of Paul Alexander.

10. Slainmonkey

You forgot dinosaur poo

11. Diet_coke

I think this is the kind of series that can't be judged on one or two episodes. I think it will be clever to test the fans that like to think..
    Im saying, the series has done a star wars...started in the middle...

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

doug has suprised me with how well he has taken the humour of the show back to what it was as i wasnt sure that was possible, altho im hoping ep2 kicks ep1's butt

13. Slainmonkey

Those are actually the things that I found stopping me from thinking the episode was outright bad, even though as I said the script was kinda flawed in similar ways to Only the Good were it throws you into ideas they are either poorly explained or not explained at all (and a lot of them). The humour did by and large work with a few exceptions (like the cartoonish last scene) and the character dynamics felt the best they have since Rob Grant left.......with a better plot I think it has the most of the right elements in play to make me optimistic about future episodes.

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

yes i agree

15. ghastly98

You mean This?

That sounds nothing like the Munchkin song...

16. bedfordfalls

Probably because that isn't what he was referring to, especially given that wasn't the song that played "while Howard was dying".

17. Dsnow_con

Dsnow_con Third Technician

This is very far-fetched and a bit silly. I certainly recognized the Rimmer theme song and like many I took it at face value. It was a crucial moment for Rimmer, and the slower version of the song setup expectations for a touching, meaningful connection between him and his brother- which of course was then blown for a great laugh.

Besides, in typical Dwarf fashion, the unlikeliness of the situation was explained away with Kryten's throwaway line 'Did the rod do this?'. There would be very little purpose in tricking the audience and even less in revisiting it later in the series.

18. ghastly98

Well, its played during part of his dying :eek:ops:

Anyway, yes, I have rewatched the scene, and that is in fact the Munchkin theme. :eek:

19. ghastly98

Well, its played during part of his dying :eek:ops:

Anyway, yes, I have rewatched the scene, and that is in fact the Munchkin theme. :eek:

20. bedfordfalls

Umm...this is basically a joke thread about how many times Red Dwarf has done the whole "It was all a dream" shtick. Nobody is seriously implying that we actually believe this to be the case with Trojan. Hence the increasingly absurd replies.