What happened?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Murray, Oct 12, 2012.

1. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Fair do's then :-)

2. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Without wanting to wade through the rest of the thread to date, I can only disagree. For me currently the new series is working out very well and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Red Dwarf moves on, I'm glad to see the characters grow and develop and, to a degree mature. It makes sense that after all these years together Lister and Rimmer aren't going to be needling each other constantly like they would at the outset, as characters they would have run out of material a long time ago, as would the show's writers and it's end up getting very repititive.

Equally, it makes sense that Lister as a character isn't going to be the same person now as he was when he was in his early twenties. Time, events and experience will have combined to have matured him somewhat. That said by the end of Fathers and Suns, given encouragement, opportunity and motive to improve himself Lister Junior opted to go straight to the free champagne and spend his time playing a video game with Kryten, so the old immature slob is still in there.

In summary, I think you're very wrong. To me, Red Dwarf is back. And it's good.

3. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Really? They wouldn't make use of ANY of the BBC's tv crew?

4. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

True, but only to a certain extent. I don't think the BBC would risk their reputation allowing it to air as it is, and would have insisted on a far better overall production before it reached our screens.

I have to admit I don't know how the funding for a sitcom works. Does it come from the channel that's going to air it, or do the makers have to find the funding elsewhere? If the funding does come from the channel itself, then I'm even more certain of my opinion that it would have been a far higher quality production than we're seeing.

5. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

It comes from the channel basically.

I don`t think the issue is whether it was made by Dave or the BBC. The BBC would have given a bigger budget maybe but I don`t think that`s the problem. It`s the fact that Doug has decided to do the directing himself. A mistake in my opinion.

6. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Thanks, Nicko.

Surely if the BBC had been behind this, then the funding would have allowed for a more experienced production crew; better editors, a team of directors, better equipment, better scores...

I must confess I didn't know Doug was directing, but yes, so far, it does seem like a mistake.

7. TouchT1701

TouchT1701 Third Technician

I second this, but with the qualification that I do not agree a 100%... I do like the overall jist of his arguments tho.

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

from series 8 onwards i have felt like every time doug brings red dwarf back he fixes whatever the problem was with the previous series but then he makes a bad judgement and creates a brand new problem

the problem with this series would be some of the subplots that fall flat and didn't need to be there

9. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

In a way this episode neatly mirrors Ouroboros. A terrific concept and the potential for an all time classic episode that's ruined by something that irritates the fanbase and makes people want to willfully ignore it.

In Ouroboros the problem introduced wasn't making Lister his own Dad (bad science aside) it was making Kochanski his biological mother something that ruined the whole plot of arc of Lister pursuing her as a love interest.

In F&S the problem is the one we've all been talking about and it clouds the rest of the episode in a similar way.

10. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Exactly this, basically.

11. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Yes, you're right. The critical success of Citizen Khan and the ratings success of Hunted show how BBC get everything right. They definitely wouldn't have touched the high-rating and critically-praised RDX with a barge pole.

12. no_name

no_name Third Technician

At the end of the day wasn't there a series of Red Dwarf that had the same budget as a series of Victoria Wood's Dinnerladies that aired around the same time? Just because Red Dwarf demands a great deal from those working on it doesn't mean the BBC would cough up extra to cater for the sci-fi elements that make it such a unique and potentially costly sitcom.

It's pretty clear Dave have given RDX a considerable budget. There have been problems and it seems with model FX they tried to cut corners and ended up having to pay for it but they are effectively launching a new show. New sets, new costumes, new model shots. There isn't a great deal to be used from older series all in all and just like with the first series on the BBC we may find ourselves seeing a handful of sets a lot more regularly as a result. If we do get RDXI then the production will have a lot more assets that it can reuse and there will be some money free to spend on other things, just like we saw with series 2. I think it's also worth noting that the number of guest actors this series is beyond anything I could have imagined (from what I've seen so far). I honestly can't imagine that the beeb would have put much more into it.

13. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Do you mean in the same way they didn't touch series 1 - 8 with a barge pole, or do you mean it differently?

14. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

The Red Dwarf series in question was Series VIII. It`s always amused me when this statement has been made as it implies that Dinnerladies was somehow a low-budget obscure comedy. While it was obviously simply made in the canteen set, this was one of the BBC`s biggest shows at the time and assembling a cast of actors like Victoria Wood, Julie Walters, Celia Imrie, Thora Hird, Duncan Preston etc. won`t have been cheap. Dwarf did have to cancel the filming of episodes in that series but I think that`s mainly due to having spent loads of money on a massively expanded cast (a bad idea) and on CG Blue Midgets and dinosaurs (bloody awful ideas).

I agree that the BBC wouldn`t have thrown amazing amounts of money at Dwarf but you have said that you are impressed with how many guest cast members there are in RDX. Well think back to how many there were in Series VIII. Dozens in every episode. Plus we know that 2 episodes of this series have also had to be cancelled due to not being able to afford outdoor filming. This is still clearly a low-budget show in comparison with previous series.

15. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

You were saying that the BBC would have insisted that the production be somehow better if they'd have been in charge - that they wouldn't have wanted RDX in its current state. I was making a double-pronged point that (a) the BBC commission and show dreadful programmes sometimes and (b) the success of RDX shows that it doesn't really need to be "better" to deserve showing at all.

16. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I have to say, it feels years and years and years upon more years since BBC produced any "comedy" worth watching or even remotely interesting. The best they have right now is Miranda, i think? Says it all... Go watch Miranda, if you like. I'll stick to some good ol Dwarf.

17. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

Nah...

The Thick of It, Getting On, Rev, Outnumbered, Episodes, Psychoville...

The new show Hebburn that starts this week has been receiving good previews so it`s not all bad.

18. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

That post doesn't alter the fact that Red Dwarf has been a mere shadow of itself since it went to Dave.

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Wrong

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

thing is it has been over 10 year since series 8 and in that time all doug has wrote red dwarf wise is the movie script and id guess doug has got older and his views on the characters and whats funny has changed

but at the same the cast also are 10 years older and for a while not knowing if they would ever play these characters again so they are trying to fit back in to something they havent done for a long time

and it could be us fans also feeling its hard to accept new red dwarf after such a long time, esp for some who may have watched it in the 90s