What happened?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Murray, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I feel that honestly the first 2 episodes series X have real shades of brilliance but have been rather rough around the edges, Trojan having some great jokes but the plot was a shambles and Fathers and Suns had one of the best plots the show has ever had but is weighed down by a few minutes if rather painful Series VIII nonsense.....So far though I thing it's been a big improvement on the last BBC series and according to the set reports (not just G&T) get's better episode 3 onwards. I actually am looking forward to see what is in store for us given that the first 2 were supposed to be the weakest ones.

2. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Yes, this right here is by far the best review of everything as a whole.

3. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

First 2 now?!? Last word on here was that the first episode was the weakest & it gets better from 2 onwards. Now it gets better from 3 onwards?!? :roll:

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It's been stated on this forum that the first episode was considered 'second to worst'. And that three onwards the series got better- the implication being Fathers and Suns was the worst, although I forget if that was ever actually stated. Personally, a couple of things aside I liked it and got more laughs out of it than Trojan.

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

But as you liked the first episode, why would this bother you even if true? It just means you had to have one episode you found poor.

6. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

It doesn't alter it it because it isn't a "fact". It's your subjective opinion.

I prefer everything Dave has done with RD to the last series that the BBC put out...with the exception of Taiwan Tony. I wouldn't go so far as to say that my opinion is a "fact" though.

7. Murray

Murray Second Technician

His quick thinking at the end doesn't erase the fact that he's been ignoring the idiocy of acting like his own dad to himself for the whole episode. Just as in Trojan, you can't suspend your disbelief enough to believe that Lister really would care so much about a Stirmaster when someone's pointing a gun at him and his buddies.

It's caricature humour, and not the stuff with Red Dwarf is best known for. Dave has always been an ordinary guy who's an underachieving slob, not a guy prone to doing whacky illogical things which quite obviously don't make sense.

Good. That's great. Remind me why I want to watch that again, though? I don't care that it's "natural they'd all get on a bit better" ... if that's true, then the show shouldn't have been made, because them all getting along just isn't funny.

As I said before, it'd be like watching Top Gear where they've old grown older and started to like and respect each other instead of being utter smegs. What's the point?

The Cat in Series 6 was a pretty weak character anyway. He's always been the stupid character, providing moments of idiocy alongside Lister's common sense. With Lister abandoning his wits now, the Cat's character is having to do the heavy lifting of actually saying and paying attention to things which make him seem intelligent, like Swedish moose facts and chinese whisper riddles.

An intelligent, interested Cat is a pretty weak character, comically ... but they've had no choice because his self-obsession was only ever funny when played off the other characters (Lister's common sense or Rimmer's pomposity). Without those, he has nothing funny to do. Same with Kryten, he hasn't changed much like you said, but there's nothing for him to play off anymore. Lister and Rimmer's character dynamics being killed has left the other two in a vacuum.

It's a tragedy. Lister and Rimmer are the heart of Red Dwarf, everyone knows that. With those characters butchered, there's nothing left.

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It's not as if that ribbing has gone, as far as I can see it's just milder. (And it's not just between Rimmer and Lister anyway. Rimmer will often have a go at Kryten and The Cat and vice versa.) Anyway, the bickering relationship between Lister and Rimmer is not the only thing in Red Dwarf that's funny. Besides, I like Red Dwarf as much for the adventure sci-fi stuff as the comedy.